Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay yes, technically we got an update with the Camper mode release, but seriously. I was TOLD self driving woulda been here months ago, AP2 wouldn’t be AP0.5 anymore, and general patterns show we get updates in mid September/ October.

Well I hate to be the one to bitch about it, but we have none of that, as well as we have no explanation. I’ll be the one to say also, that I wouldn’t be as pissed about it if Elon or a Tesla rep would just get us back into the loop. I really just wanna hear if they still remember that they also still support the Model S and X. Because it sure as hell doesn’t seem so.

Camper mode is cool. Well... neat...

But that wasn’t the annual update we wanted. It’s a fun toy that ~1% of us will use within the next month. But really. I would rather have the pretty little pictures of motorcycles and pedestrians like AP1 has had. WHY. Where are our actual components that make our car a Tesla and not a new Kia or fancy German vehicle. (Other than EVs).

I mean I hate to bitch, but I don’t know how many of you have seen BMW’s parkassist or whatever, but that system is 5 years ahead of what we have. AND Elon even went and made an outlandish comment about how ‘It’s distracting... but we could put it on the release software’

Okay, my response would be; our cars drive themselves more than most others in the world, and I’ll admit some people only use than as an ENCOURAGEMENT for distracted driving. So a better vehicle exterior awareness is more than welcome if it’s something do-able. Why not?

And now a message to you Tesla

I love you guys, I really do. But 2017 isn’t your year. I love my car and have faith in the company, and that it will all work out eventually.

But I don’t want to have to get the promised AP2 features on the day I go to trade my vehicle in for a hovering car in 40 years from now. Get with it, or give us some liable statements that show you’re still the company who made us believe in these cars and your movement.

The Model 3 is the newborn.. I get it. But don’t starve your other children.

Just guessing on this...

9.0 is probably late due to a combination of the AP2 software taking (much, much, much) longer than expected and the (much) longer than expected delay in building the first customer Model 3.

My guess on 9.0 - it will be a "unification" release that works on 3 and S/X, include the new navigation software (evidently being tested on the "insider" Model 3s), fix the media player problems (USB, XM) introduced in 8.0, and perhaps (finally) include the long-promised browser improvements.

Other items that we may see could include the (also) long-promised user interface customization.

Typically before a major release, Tesla gets pretty quiet on software changes - there are fewer releases, and Tesla (Musk) says little about the upcoming software changes. We seemed to be following this pattern, except it's been broken by the recent flurry of new releases coming out, with some minor features being added (camper mode, homelink).

Since we're seeing minor features being released now, it's possible the plans for 9.0 have been delayed - and it could be a while before we see it.

Just guessing on this...

9.0 is probably late due to a combination of the AP2 software taking (much, much, much) longer than expected and the (much) longer than expected delay in building the first customer Model 3.

My guess on 9.0 - it will be a "unification" release that works on 3 and S/X, include the new navigation software (evidently being tested on the "insider" Model 3s), fix the media player problems (USB, XM) introduced in 8.0, and perhaps (finally) include the long-promised browser improvements.

Other items that we may see could include the (also) long-promised user interface customization.

Typically before a major release, Tesla gets pretty quiet on software changes - there are fewer releases, and Tesla (Musk) says little about the upcoming software changes. We seemed to be following this pattern, except it's been broken by the recent flurry of new releases coming out, with some minor features being added (camper mode, homelink).

Since we're seeing minor features being released now, it's possible the plans for 9.0 have been delayed - and it could be a while before we see it.
I would agree with most of this... they have to get the 3’s software done before they can have ‘end user’ deliveries, and it’s not done. They don’t/can’t spend resources on prettying up the S and X stuff right now. If ‘we’ are going to get something, it will be after the 3’s version is out (when all the heated seats work, when all of normal EAP (as it is now) works, etc.) and then perhaps we will get *that* version and they can then move forward adding features to ALL cars at the same time.

I have no idea why they spend time on Homelink and Camper at this time unless they are in the 3 software and it was a dual branch or something... Changing the distance to open the door for HL was not exactly a gotta have, etc.!

Well, Im 2 Model S's in all the way back to 2012 and I can definitely tell you all, don't hold your breath.

Elon is a master and generating enthusiasm and promises, but not so good at delivering.

He's got too much on his plate and Model S/X is not on his "things to do" list anymore ....

He's like my brother who can build anything ... he could build a house but never bother to install doors or paint. You sit back and ask WTH? That's Elon.

Hate to pile on Tesla here. They have too much to do with too little on many fronts, many of which developed over time and ran right into the biggest of them all so far, the 3 launch. I'd not be surprised if the S/X software is in basic sustenance mode with all the key developers moved over to the 3 for now. I've not been a fan of Tesla promising FSD till it was truly ready but, can relate to their struggles to get even AP2+ going well (post-Mobileye).

Software/firmware developers are hard to come by in the Valley these days and many good ones get poached up by the big fish - Facebook, Google, Apple, Netflix, etc. - whose offers are far more compelling than Tesla's or by compelling-looking startups at the other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't have a particularly good reputation either as a great place to work at and word spreads fast around here. The glamor of working at Tesla has probably hit a plateau too.

Hate to pile on Tesla here. They have too much to do with too little on many fronts, many of which developed over time and ran right into the biggest of them all so far, the 3 launch. I'd not be surprised if the S/X software is in basic sustenance mode with all the key developers moved over to the 3 for now. I've not been a fan of Tesla promising FSD till it was truly ready but, can relate to their struggles to get even AP2+ going well (post-Mobileye).

Software/firmware developers are hard to come by in the Valley these days and many good ones get poached up by the big fish - Facebook, Google, Apple, Netflix, etc. - whose offers are far more compelling than Tesla's or by compelling-looking startups at the other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't have a particularly good reputation either as a great place to work at and word spreads fast around here. The glamor of working at Tesla has probably hit a plateau too.
yes..... BUT I've been a Tesla owner since 2012 and its time they started to grow up and commit to meeting their sales promises (EAP, FSD) and releasing software with change notes (!!!) and one a schedule that supports regular feature release as well as interim bug fix versions as needed. Its disappointing to see the lack of adult supervision.

I have no idea why they spend time on Homelink and Camper at this time unless they are in the 3 software and it was a dual branch or something... Changing the distance to open the door for HL was not exactly a gotta have, etc.!
Camper mode, aka 'Dog Mode' is a big deal to a lot of us who have pets. The ability to control cabin temperature for more than 30 minutes at a time was high on my priority list.

Well, there are at least these unrealized major improvements based on Elon's tweets that had timelines:

- Automatic exit-taking on AP1 (promised for the "8.1" for December 2016 that never came out as such)
- New browser (promised for the "8.1" for December 2016 that never came out as such)
- FSD features (not FSD, but unique features for FSD enabled cars) promised for around April-July, 2017 (no word since)

Then there are of course things like any enhanced EAP features (or even AP1 parity for AP2) as described in late 2016 that can be considered 10 months late, auto rain sensors on AP2/2.5 that are still missing, the easy entry feature coming in "one of the upcoming software releases" from the past summer, though the last one had no timeline unlike the others...

So, certainly we're missing a lot of stuff that has been promised and some that has been hinted. Given this, a bit hard to get excited about updates that once again enabled AEB for some cars that once again had it missing... and a camper more at the onset of winter for much of the world. :D

Camper mode, aka 'Dog Mode' is a big deal to a lot of us who have pets. The ability to control cabin temperature for more than 30 minutes at a time was high on my priority list.

I wish they'd add remote functionality as well as keeping-on for the window heaters/windshield blowers.

It is hard to escape the feel of a California car on a cold winter's morning when the windshield blowers turn off when the driver leaves the car to clear the windows from the outside...

Will have to see if the new camper more helps any there.

Tesla has the best long range EV on the market today - and the best long range charging network, and has been the market leader in multiple areas, such as aggressive pursuing EAP & FSD. And that's why we've purchased two Model S's and plan to buy a Model 3 (hopefully soon).

However, from a software development standpoint, they are not leading the market. Releases continue to be plagued by obvious bugs and design flaws. Software that is released in "beta" stays in beta for extended periods - and even then, the apps usually have only the basic functionality, lacking typically expected features.

For those of us buying the early Model S cars - it was understandable that the software was pretty basic - it looked great, but had gaps. And that was OK - Tesla had a lot on their plate - with a tight staff - and had to focus on the top priority (which, in year one was energy management). And, the start-stop, random, release process - with frequent bugs was also forgivable - for a new product/company. Software development is a balance between functionality, solid architectural design, aggressive time-to-market, and quality - you can't do everything, and in Tesla's case, they appear to be willing to compromise on everything, except quick time-to-market.

It's 5 years later - and while Tesla has produced a lot of software during that time, they are still plagued by the same problems. Releases tend to be late (based on expectations set by Tesla on their website or by Musk's statements). Obvious bugs still make it into the releases - which still seem to be random to owners.

Tesla can do and should do better - especially before other manufacturers start introducing competitive long range EVs (which isn't the today's Bolt).

Among Tesla's early adopters, some of us have been responsible for major software systems or products - and have dealt with aggressive schedules, without releasing software with so many problems. I'm not aware of any major company that would have tolerated this level of software quality - and hope they are planning to take steps to get this under better control - and soon...

Touting market position is deliberate obfuscation.

What experienced owners are frustrated about is a pattern of overpromising and under-delivering.

Here’s the one-sentence version for those easily confused:

When you take money out of my pocket for a promise of the same (December 2016 parity) or more (it’s a long list) and replace it with less than what I had before, then we have a problem.