Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my current data at 4000 miles since Aug. 29, 2018:
Tesla efficiency at 4K miles.jpg

Reactions: RyanT
F
clearly huh... maybe they shouldn't even sell it to a stated range considering the list of things that destroys the range is so vast and the potential impact is so significant. I would understand 80% maybe even 70% but 50%? and no, ice vehicles are not so significantly affected in range, not even close. the variance on my last car an altima was maybe 15% max between driving like a granny on a nice day and a race car driver in the snow.

FWIW since I marked "disagree" I figure I should explain what I am disagreeing with. I am not disagreeing with your frustration. Thats an emotion, so everyone is entitled to their own. I am disagreeing with two specific things.

1. That the "teslafi" readout you posted is going to be the actual range that you would get out of that charge. Others have explained why that is true, so I disagree with the "50% loss", even though teslafi shows it.

2. I disagree with the fact that an ICE car does not have similar losses when driven similarly. Not 50% but you arent losing 50% either. My BMW 435 was supposed to be 23 MPG (20 city / 30 highway), but over the lifetime of just regular driving, I got around 18 MPG. If I put it in sport mode and "drove" it, it was more like 14-15 MPG. So, 60% "range".

The altima you had was likely a 4 cylinder, very efficient engine. There likely was not much difference between "driving like a granny" and "hooning around" in that car.... but its also likely that you didnt care what the difference was when you were doing it.

Let’s just all be honest with ourselves. It is basically impossible to get rated range unless you drive like a 100 year old lady.

On average I get 50% of rated range in winter and 65% in the summer.

You just have to learn to live with it.

That's ridiculous. Here's my lifetime data.

Screenshot_20190113-193901~2.png

LR RWD. Yes, you'll get lower efficiency in cold winter climes, and short drives will make your estimated range look terrible (just as it would in an honest ICE vehicle). But nothing like 50% rated on a longer drive. I promise I don't drive it like a granny on Sunday.

Half the rated range... Seriously?!

View attachment 368362

OK at 43F when you haven't driven your car and it's cooled overnight before the sun comes up what is your tire pressure?

No matter how cold it gets you shouldn't be driving on tires with PSI below the door jamb label PSI and ideally you'd run higher than that if you care about range.

Don't go answering what your tire pressure is after driving or during driving. Don't tell me what it was the last time your tires were rotated or the car was serviced in any way.

Check them when it is cold out and your tires haven't moved in hours. That's the number that matters.

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D and DR61
clearly huh... maybe they shouldn't even sell it to a stated range considering the list of things that destroys the range is so vast and the potential impact is so significant. I would understand 80% maybe even 70% but 50%? and no, ice vehicles are not so significantly affected in range, not even close. the variance on my last car an altima was maybe 15% max between driving like a granny on a nice day and a race car driver in the snow.

70% efficiency is the average I get over the winters in MN.
Your gas car can have it's gas efficiency cut by 40% in a winter pretty easily. It is just that the worse case scenario is typically short so it averages closer to a 20% efficiency cut over the tank.
ALL of my gas cars in the past averaged a 20% loss in the winters.

These are simply matters of physics. All cars loose efficiency due to cold, snow on the ground, rain on the ground, short trips (warm up period).
The only reason you are more aware of it now is you have this cool little tool that gives you instant information.

My other car is a BMW M3, the lowest mpg mark I've hit for a full tank is 8....it's rated for 13 city and 20 highway.
I had a similar experience with my pathfinder, albeit on much shorter trips in the winter of a mile or two

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
My other car is a BMW M3, the lowest mpg mark I've hit for a full tank is 8....it's rated for 13 city and 20 highway.
I had a similar experience with my pathfinder, albeit on much shorter trips in the winter of a mile or two
Thats full tank, and the OP has not driven his full tank yet so doesnt know what it is.... just what its guessed to be.

When you drive in such a way, in such an environment to half the efficiency of the EPA test, you get half the range.

Lot's of factors can create a very high draw.
Low Temps
Short Trips
High acceleration.
Rain or worse, snow.
20" Wheels.
Sports wheels.
AWD
Performance cars.
Heating the cabin.

Every one of these things also affect ICE vehicles except "heating the cabin".
In most cases, people don't have an instant readout of their MPG (Prius excepted).
Some of these things are under your control, others are not.
We really should have sticky thread up as I think it would help a lot of people (or do we?).

Most ICE cars do have an instant MPG indicator. My ICE cars gets about 10%-15% less in cold to very cold weather. Our PHEV has about a 30%-50% range reduction in the same conditions. That's just how EV's work.

Reactions: Futuresystem
When I first start driving our Model X with the heat on, it shows 1,500wH/mile. After driving a few miles, it starts to drop down to around 400wH/mile. Then, it settles around 350 or so once the cabin warms up and the heater doesn't draw as much. So, if I were to check the total range, using the 1500wH/mile figure, I would only get 50 miles of total range. I'm glad the range meter on the dash isn't that absolute.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Looks like TeslaFi. Not sure how TeslaFi calculates that, but it does vary depending on your past consumption. So basically we know you've been hooning around.

If someone says "yeah I hoon a bit" they likely hoon a LOT. its kind of like a guy who says "yeah I know im a @$!$" when someone says that, you can bet they mean it. I am guessing OP hoons more than "a bit".

If it was an ICE car with 20 Mpg, and someone was getting 12 because they were "messing around" they wouldnt care (and they wouldnt have all these pretty teslafi / stats app graphs and charts to show them how badly they were hurting their MPG).

Sometimes, having a bunch of data is actually having too much data, and causes analysis paralysis.
Am I the only one here who didn't know what hoon meant? I had to look it up. o_O

Most apps use the ‘last 30 miles’ as the estimated range. If you did a few short trips in the last 30 miles, that be your range, assuming you did another bunch of short trips. If your last 30 miles were on the highway, I’d be worried.

43F is cold. Pre-heat your car by charging it up to 80% before driving, and you’ll get better range, if it’s that important to you. But really, if you’re just driving around town, I don’t see why it matters. You’ll get much better range highway driving. Same is true for ICE cars.
On the way to work my range is always estimated a bit over the range shown, on the way home I get about 1/2 estimated range. I guess there is more of an incline over all going home. This is at highway speeds typically cruising around 75mph.

Just keep in mind, that a car with a cold battery can have its initial range cut in half when driving short distances. This is especially true when regenerative breaking is limited. Cold batteries need time to heat-up, whether that’s 30 minutes or an hour depends on how cold the battery is, and during that time range suffers. If you were to drive the 3 or more hours your car is capable of going, it’s range would return closer to rated (but still not rated).

The solution is simple— have the car charging for an hour before you drive in the morning during colder overnight weather.

EVs have a different engine and a different power source from ICE cars, so different care is needed. In so many ways EV cars are better, but yes, if you do a lot of short drives in cold weather with a cold battery your range will suffer a great deal.

• Informative
Reactions: Olds442 and duanra
Am I the only one here who didn't know what hoon meant? I had to look it up. o_O
I only learned the term a few years ago. I was falling down the Youtube hole at some point and came across videos from a channel called TheHoonigans (Hoon + hooligans) and kind of figured out what hoon meant from comments in context. The videos were Ken Block's series called GymKhana, where he does highly skilled obstacle course stunt driving. For example:

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I only learned the term a few years ago. I was falling down the Youtube hole at some point and came across videos from a channel called TheHoonigans (Hoon + hooligans) and kind of figured out what hoon meant from comments in context. The videos were Ken Block's series called GymKhana, where he does highly skilled obstacle course stunt driving. For example:

Ken Block is where I learned that term too (lol). I have watched all of them, including the 10th one on amazon which had an 8 part "making of" behind it. Really cool stuff if a person is into car videos.. and even if not.

Reactions: Rocky_H
A lot of people don’t quite understand how driving style can be one of the biggest factors affecting range. It’s not just speed, or fast acceleration. A big part of it is that many assume that regen is 100% (or close to) efficient. It isn’t, and not by a long way.
So every time you dip into the regen area, you’re hurting your overall efficiency. Steady speed driving is always going to be way better than someone who regularly speeds up, then slows down, or people who by necessity dip into regen eg: up and down hills. The good thing about an EV though is that an ICE is much worse, just not so obvious with the information presented. Uphill/downhill is always going to mess with your efficiency, just as stop start will- again though, it’s MUCH worse in an ICE vehicle.
I’ve never met anyone who could legitimately claim to get EPA fuel consumption figures on an ICE. Despite that, it’s kind of funny how many people somehow magically expect an EV to completely break the rules of Physics ..... despite their driving style.