Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a customer of Tesla's since 2013. That final conclusion - like they've never heard of master data, single source of truth, foreign key - I've been having that thought for 7 years off and on.

You'll be happy to know that the database basics problems evolve over the years though - they're not stagnant.

It was verified to be a mismatch in my email. Took a week for them to find and fix it... for the solar panels. The powerwall is still a no-show, presumably for the same reason.

Machines (including cars) really do have personalities. And there is a reason for Lemon Laws. He should just send back the car. If he's keeping it because he likes the experience, he should send it back and buy another one. But I don't get the point of posting videos about it. That smacks of a different motivation to me.

BTW, see that green roadster <--- It came within a couple of days of being returned as a lemon. It met all the qualifications. Tesla sent engineers (yes, plural) down from Fremont to Santa Monica, who worked for about a week to identify the problem, then they had to work to convince me they really had found and solved it. Bob Saxton was the service manager at the (only / Santa Monica) service center at the time, and got canned just after this, I think partly because he had the gall to tell me that they couldn't duplicate the problem because it was intermittent, even though the logs documented that it was real, and returned the car to me only to have it die again in a car park at 11pm. But the moral here is that they bought back my loyalty with that exceptional commitment, and in 11 years we've only had one other problem with the car, which got fixed easily and quickly.

Machines (including cars) really do have personalities. And there is a reason for Lemon Laws. He should just send back the car. If he's keeping it because he likes the experience, he should send it back and buy another one. But I don't get the point of posting videos about it. That smacks of a different motivation to me.

BTW, see that green roadster <--- It came within a couple of days of being returned as a lemon. It met all the qualifications. Tesla sent engineers (yes, plural) down from Fremont to Santa Monica, who worked for about a week to identify the problem, then they had to work to convince me they really had found and solved it. Bob Saxton was the service manager at the (only / Santa Monica) service center at the time, and got canned just after this, I think partly because he had the gall to tell me that they couldn't duplicate the problem because it was intermittent, even though the logs documented that it was real, and returned the car to me only to have it die again in a car park at 11pm. But the moral here is that they bought back my loyalty with that exceptional commitment, and in 11 years we've only had one other problem with the car, which got fixed easily and quickly.
Sadly the positive stories are rarely told, and certainly not on YouTube. My first thought was if it is such a problem why didn't he just Lemon Law it, though he says Tesla said the problem he reports doesn't exist so maybe that prevents it. I hate communicating with service because I hate having an app with canned items to choose from. I miss the days of being able to call service and explain the problem and have them advise me what to do. And back when they'd flatbed an S loaner to me and take my Sig X in for service. Uber credits are useless for me since the service center is an hour 15 minutes away in a different state.

Reactions: abasile
But the moral here is that they bought back my loyalty with that exceptional commitment, and in 11 years we've only had one other problem with the car, which got fixed easily and quickly.
NY seems to be a completely different world for service. Both Neroden and James have reported consistently terrible service experiences with various service centers in NY so there must be some regional manager who in some way creates this environment. It can't be just coincidence that two people from my nearby area have similar experiences. As for Lemon Law isn't there a time limit? Tesla delayed even looking at some of his issues so long, about 30 days after the first time the car stopped moving for example, any time limit may have expired.

• Informative
Reactions: Frank Einstein
We have salt mines, so cheap salt means they use a lot of it. Sometimes I wonder if they have a mandate to use a certain amount, I've roads being salted when the ground is still warm and there is no chance of any snow or ice sticking.

I've heard they also use a salt brine applied to dirt roads to keep the dust down. So salt is used year-round in some areas.

He was irritating and condescending, but I really miss him anyway. he was usually quite competent, just a bit obsessed with Upstate NY deficiency, mostly itself a product of New York State anti-competitive laws.
Not really, NY limits sales/showrooms but I've seen no limit on service centers. Regardless, if you look at the service and communications issues in this thread it's gross incompetence and a lack of desire to handle issues properly.

Use of service = fail
Failure of service (excess usage) is a symptom of design for quality

As always Elon is playing 4D chess - single piece casting etc. designs in quality.

Also, nobody cares if the robotaxi they used last week is now waiting on a part.

We aren't anywhere near robotaxi, actual owners are having service issues. Also build quality doesn't prevent damage from accidents and the need for service.
My problem is that Tesla doesn't seem to have any real standards for service quality. A lot of the complaints are related to what service center they go to. Also the poor communication makes it all worse. I understand a lot of this is related to rapid growth, but I don't see that changing for several years. I love my X, but I'm not sure my wife can deal with the horrible service experience if she were to replace her Lexus with a Tesla.

I've now been waiting four months for an email reply from tesla. Despite several attempts to chase it. I also spent 45 minutes on hold with them a few days ago, because in the year 2021, tesla have not cracked the technology of ringback, and consider my time worthless.
I love my car, and own a lot of tesla stock... but their customer service in my experience is absolutely garbage. They are profitable, there is no excuse, they just don't give a damn about customers once the car is sold.

I've now been waiting four months for an email reply from tesla. Despite several attempts to chase it. I also spent 45 minutes on hold with them a few days ago, because in the year 2021, tesla have not cracked the technology of ringback, and consider my time worthless.
I love my car, and own a lot of tesla stock... but their customer service in my experience is absolutely garbage. They are profitable, there is no excuse, they just don't give a damn about customers once the car is sold.
Yup, service sucks if it isn't something routine. Have you requested service via the app the way they tell you to? I find it stupid for things that obviously ought to be dealt with by talking to somebody on the phone, but it's the only way I know of to get somebody to call you.

Perhaps better is just showing up at a service center and talking to somebody, but that's not much use if there's no nearby service center.

• Love
Reactions: madodel
Just saw this article today and wanted to see if anyone here had any perspective on it. Can’t post in the full investor’s thread or risk more than ire, so I thought I’d ask folks here as some folks are on both threads. The service issue kept me on the sidelines as an investor for many years. Reading articles like this upset me as an owner and also make me want to hold back on further investments. Cognitive dissonance. Undoubtedly the magazine is using it as a hit piece. But the owner’s experience documented in the article is awful. What recourse does she have but to blast them on twitter. Glad @Chunky Jr. had a great experience. I have appt soon, fingers crossed.

Reactions: JRP3
Just saw this article today and wanted to see if anyone here had any perspective on it. Can’t post in the full investor’s thread or risk more than ire, so I thought I’d ask folks here as some folks are on both threads. The service issue kept me on the sidelines as an investor for many years. Reading articles like this upset me as an owner and also make me want to hold back on further investments. Cognitive dissonance. Undoubtedly the magazine is using it as a hit piece. But the owner’s experience documented in the article is awful. What recourse does she have but to blast them on twitter. Glad @Chunky Jr. had a great experience. I have appt soon, fingers crossed.

While the wait to get it fixed isn't ideal, the issue itself isn't that big of a deal. (And in the current climate part supply/transportation just plain sucks.)

GM even had a big recall for missing brake pads a few years back:

While the wait to get it fixed isn't ideal, the issue itself isn't that big of a deal. (And in the current climate part supply/transportation just plain sucks.)

GM even had a big recall for missing brake pads a few years back:

Thanks for the perspective. I didn’t realize supply chain issue would have extended to brakes. Daughter’s Hyundai sat in an away from home dealer lot for 5 months waiting for a new engine that was Hyundai’s fault since there was a recall on it, and she had taken it in previously where/when it should/could have been addressed as a software fix. I just didn’t equate the 2 as supply chain related.

While the wait to get it fixed isn't ideal, the issue itself isn't that big of a deal.
A new car delivered with defective brakes because of a missing component is a big deal, as is the disastrous handling of it by Tesla. It never should have left the factory and if no parts were available to fix it a car should have been taken off the factory floor, the pad, caliper and rotor removed, and overnighted to the service center to get her back on the road the next day. Tesla service is continuing to get more and more bad reviews, this is a structural problem in the company.

Another example. Rossmann is a well known consumer advocate who started as a Apple service shop but got into right to repair because of the terrible practices of Apple. Lately he's seen the same behavior from Tesla and has been talking about it. 1.7 million subscribers on YouTube. Here he discusses a recent problem with an owner not having heat after 3 attempts to fix it.

OP twitter thread: