Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Tesla app not take care of communication with customers currently? Seems pretty backwards for Tesla to be so reliant on a phone system.

The app doesn’t handle any communication other than just allowing you to schedule service appointments, the process of which is fully automated. Usually a rep will contact you about that appointment a day or two later via text message.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Seems pretty backwards for Tesla to be so reliant on a phone system.
The bottom line is that Tesla needs to make it easy for customers to get through to employees who can take steps to address their issues.

For several weeks recently, I was unable to get a Mobile Service appointment for both of our cars. No one contacted me with an appointment after promising to do so. Then I found myself unable to actually talk to anyone at all. (I didn't try calling Roadside Service.) Frustrated, I tried scheduling new service center appointments via the app. I resigned myself to making the two hour round trip to a service center, and possibly ending up with an ICE loaner, instead of waiting for Mobile Service.

Lo and behold, thanks to Tesla App updates, I was able to schedule Mobile Service appointments from the app this time around! That took away some of the sting of not being able to actually communicate with anyone at Tesla. However, in principle, I do feel it's very important for a company like Tesla to be prepared to directly communicate with its customers.

We'll see how the Mobile Service visit goes. Hopefully they'll be able to take care of everything. They did contact me via text message to ask for some details, so that's a good sign.

• Love
I hope they aren't brain-damaged enough to try to text-message my LANDLINE. I already pre-emptively emailed Henrietta Service to remind them of this.

Tesla needs to learn to use the phone. Period.
They’ve done that before. Apparently they were sending text messages to my landline, even though I had specifically designated a mobile number. I have found that the best approach is to give them my mobile number as the primary number. To be safest, maybe it’s a good idea to not even give them a landline number at all.

Reactions: Mader Levap
They’ve done that before. Apparently they were sending text messages to my landline, even though I had specifically designated a mobile number. I have found that the best approach is to give them my mobile number as the primary number. To be safest, maybe it’s a good idea to not even give them a landline number at all.

Losers.

I'm not giving them a cellphone number. My pay-per-minute cheap-phone is not a preferred contact method and is not reliable with the cell phone service out here.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mader Levap
The app doesn’t handle any communication other than just allowing you to schedule service appointments, the process of which is fully automated. Usually a rep will contact you about that appointment a day or two later via text message.
thanks, this is what trying to understand. I was asking as a non-Tesla owner. For a tech company, it's pretty sad they can't just have all the communication system done via the app and maybe even mirrored on the website. This should be ridiculously trivial to do. A lot of apps/web sites have a basic ticket system. If they fixed their app/web based communication, it's likely their phone system wouldn't even be so overloaded.

The phone system should be a safe backup. They should do both things well. Instead of doing both poorly.

Last edited:
Regarding service, my Model 3 has 18k miles and no regular service required.

However, I did get into a minor fender bender. I got a service appointment via the app (selected “body repair” or similar). I tried to call the day before my appointment, but the phone tree didn’t have good options so I gave up after about a minute. Go to my appointment, and they tell me super apologetically that they’re not set up yet for body repair appointments. I say “no problem, can I at least get an estimate (which was really all I was hoping for that day). They say sure and take thorough pictures etc. Within a few days I had an estimate via email and they sent to my insurance as well. About a week later I got a text message with status of parts on order. About 2 weeks later I text requesting update. They texted back that they expected in about another week and set up appointment to drop my car off. That’s where I’m at now. My point is that I never spoke to anyone on the phone once, and yet so far I’m very satisfied with the service I’ve received.

Do you understand just how much of a disaster that would have been if the service center had been 2 hours away, let alone 3 hours away? Lost time on the first appointment, have to take another day off...

....it's actually really bad even considering that you're really near the service center. What if you had to take time off of work for that first appointment, and weren't expecting them to put you off to another appointment?

Basically, you did IN PERSON what should have been done over the phone or email. Last time I got an estimate for car damage (for insurance) I was told to take photos myself and they reviewed them, no travel necessary... and Musk is trying to do this for solar panel installs! But for a car collision, you had to use an in person appointment just to get the photos taken... what a waste.

Last edited:
It has always been about achieving volume production. Period. This is being achieved somewhat later than desired.

There is still one threat on the horizon -- the customer communications disaster could actually reduce demand below production levels, substantially and permanently. If that threat is eliminated, word of mouth will keep demand above production levels, and then it's back to all being about achieving volume production.

For a long-termer, that is it. Tesla has the cash to get to the necessary production levels now, though it may take several quarters (worst case, Shanghai has to get to full 3000/week production rate). Eventually the market will notice.

If Tesla stops tripping up on basic communications.

Reactions: Skipdd
So that's great, but it's very important to have the phones answered!
Is it possible, that he is so autistic, that he does not understand, that normal people need to be able to call service? In Finnish FB users group there are numerous complaints about the astonishing fact, that you can't call service anymore.

Luckily I live ten kilometres from service and it is my route from work. I never call them. I go there.

They talked about increasing service centres which is definitely helpful. Understand there is more to fix though.
I am very glad that they opened the Henrietta (Rochester) service center, and I spent two weeks trying to figure out how to reach them before I succeeded (by spending half an hour on hold and calling *Roadside Assistance* to get transferred to a call center in Nevada). I still haven't heard back from them.

Service centers don't work if you can't contact them. (I have explained the insane catch-22 where the online scheduling says to call the central phone number and the central phone number says to use online chat and the online chat doesn't exist. The local phone number was unpublished or nonexistent. I later found out that the email address was listed on the map, but it wasn't listed on the list of service centers on the website.)

OT:
There are two or three people who I am going to convince to buy Teslas *if* service communications become acceptable. I just have to tell them not to right now -- I know they wouldn't tolerate any of the nonsense I've dealt with.

Last edited:
Honestly, I almost suspect, from what you've been observing, that you'd have better results (for improving service, not for your portfolio, it'd hurt your portfolio hard in the short term) by e-mailing the various short-side pundits than Musk...

He'd notice a $50-100 drop in the SP long before a singular e-mail, a few tweets, and a few threads on TMC.

(Of course, giving them actual problems to hammer rather than FUD is potentially quite dangerous...)

As much as I understand that this is possible single-point-of-failure,
I bet the percentage of Tesla owners who don't own a smartphone is tiny.
Any Tesla is basically a giant smartphone with wheels.
I mean, my only experience with a Tesla has been completely mediated by a smartphone: I used it for everything, including turn on the car.

This is actually what is probably blindsighting Elon and management: they may take for granted that an app is all they need, forgetting that a ton of people prefer human contact for these issues.
I still think they have time and resources to fix this, but we should all be proactive in telling Tesla people to bring this issues up the chain: Tesla has a communication problem and they should really look into it.

• Disagree
Nope, it's up to the customer to figure out if it's worth it to them or not because anyone would sell you anything. Many people import rare exotics and go through the trouble fully knowing not one person in the U.S would service those cars.

Personally many people would not buy a car with a service center 4hrs away. That's insane and it's only for true die-hards.

Are we saying on the Tesla investor forum that Tesla shouldn't care about selling their cars? :) Because saying that the service problems are your own fault because you bought the car in a wrong location is exactly like saying Tesla should sell less cars.

Losers.

I'm not giving them a cellphone number. My pay-per-minute cheap-phone is not a preferred contact method and is not reliable with the cell phone service out here.

OK, I sympathise with you but you're just overdoing it now, sorry. Should Tesla start sending updates via snail mail too because someone might not have a landline? And then that someone would complain about lack or slow communication?