Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible, that he is so autistic, that he does not understand, that normal people need to be able to call service? In Finnish FB users group there are numerous complaints about the astonishing fact, that you can't call service anymore.

Luckily I live ten kilometres from service and it is my route from work. I never call them. I go there.
Nobody is disputing that service is lacking but do us all a favor and educate yourself on autism. As a father to a little autistic girl, I can tell you she understands everything. What she chooses to address or how she responds is a different story.

First, @neroden has addressed the maintenance concern for as long as I can remember. His passion is deep and as straightforward as I have found.

While I do not own near the shares that Neroden does, my first thousand shares was converted from Shell Oil, almost one for one shortly after my father (passed) turned one third of his pyramid over to me. I had also bought 100 shares during the initial offering. I have been environmentally aware of the doom and gloom since holes were discovered in our ozone layer, and spent a month of officer basic at Fort Sill, OK (not really okay - dry humor) in 113 degree weather ~ lived to talk about it. My pregnant wife ran to California to be with her parents, you know it as the land of the Valley Girls:)

Most do not remember, and that is okay, I commanded the very first multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) battery (Field Artillery) in Europe the summer of 1983. My entire life I have fought against elitist primarily because I am academically challenged, height challenged and what I affectionately refer to as a quiet leader. I have almost always succeeded where elitist can point officers (academy children) failed to venture. The introduction of MLRS rocket system was designed to scare the combat boots off the russians while introducing technology at its finest. There you go, I had the first ever GPS (fit in the back of a Jeep), first rocket system since WW II, newest fuel tanker ~ this one battery had the fire power of three 8” battalions and each launcher was under the command of a Staff Sergeant (E-6). Did I mention we had our own WiFi intranet; not internet. Oh, and while completing the officer advanced course, I completed my masters; created/fielded a manual driven war game designed to teach leadership the tactics of MLRS, and was in command of the battery while it moved through cohort training. The European theater was indecisive and changed our final destination within weeks of our arrival in Germany. Everything that could go wrong with the assembly, deployment and training did, did, and did again. Our new to the army system HUMMERs were not off the assembly line yet, so we got new and used jeeps instead. Unannounced unit drug testing was initiated a month before we were to deploy. I had fourteen enlisted, and noncommissioned soldiers caught in that sting. I took responsibility for them and fielded the unit anyway. No housing was available for families as we landed, the motor pool was being remodeled and every officer and enlisted soldier of our parent battalion hated us to the core. Our new weapon system was going to replace them within ten years, and they took their fear/hate out on us. The hundreds of thousands of dollars earmarked for the success of my battery went to fix a sagging European Army instead of locks and tents for my troops. I thank my god, none of my men suffered frostbite the first winter. As an individual I survived that fielding from hell, and was personally selected as a captain, by the European Commander, to bump a Major on orders from the army command and general staff college, to become the S-3 Operations Officer of the second MLRS battalion in Europe. My wife and two rug rats took the hit, but I lived my life, my way. My wife and I are completing forty-five years in December, and we are completing a two weeks visit with our GrandPups (my affectionate referral to the two grandchildren) now, and their rescued black lab Brandi (she was deemed a failure as a hunting dog). Our daughter and our son-in-law are celebrating ten years on an Alaskan cruise. Our son, well I only hope he forgave me as his father and is with me spiritually ~ god knows I need all the help I can get. He told me one day while jumping on the couch, “go back to the field daddy.”:-(

Yes, you are right, no one gives a tinkers darn about my story or life, and justifiably so ~ we are all to damned busy with our own lives that are way more important. But in the end, this is Tesla and Elon we are talking about!

As a newly minted butter bar (2d Lieutenant), it was hammered into my head during my initial Field Artillery schooling that communications was a four way street, and failure to communicate, no not the movie quote; was and would always be my failure ~ mine and mine alone. We had to maintain communication with the guy in front, to our right, to our left, and behind us, always, always, and always. If commo went down it was our responsibility to troubleshoot and repair to the point of having communication once again.

Tesla is the only thing out there that is worth saving. If you know my call sign of MajorBS49, you can read between the lines. From my short story above you can glimpse the hell both Tesla and Elon are in today and have been from the day they went public.

We just replaced our 2017 Model X with a 2Q19; same exact model. The GrandPups figured it out when trying to close the falcon wings:) Same license too ~ another story in Tesla communications. Our Key Fobs began to repeatedly fail roughly a year ago. In the beginning the communication was good, I could call in and talk to a human within short order. Near the tipping point to replace, communication was no longer 5-by (clear communication), so we opted to replace. Stock was down, and if it did collapse, well we were betting on a new car holding out longer and having the newest technologies for that time and place. Rational? Probably not. But in my world, yes.

Folks, I have fallen off the rails a number of times (even here) over my first seventy years, and will a few more times during my last thirty. Tesla, and Elon have rebounded each time from bad news. At the same time I want @neroden to bring out all the dirt! Because Tesla/Elon must resolve the problem and not do so in a vacuum. Remember, not all ships turn on a dime ~ and I am an army guy:)

When we took our first X in for a fix, the service experience was as I would expect as an owner of our first car that cost four times our first home purchase in Fullerton, CA in 1975 +/-. The service discussed experience desired again here will undoubtedly cost money to fix/repair the public point of view. Tesla and Elon have been, in my perfect world, unfairly abused over money. So, expect the cost of repairing this to be high. Expect the bears to eat my lunch, Elon will stop them by dinner or the oatmeal for breakfast will be cold.

Talk of outsourcing seems out of character for Tesla/Elon.

Tesla/Elon is my last line of defense. My grandchildren (GrandPups) are at stake:) There is no better technologically advanced car on the road, bar none ~ my wife looked before we replaced our Model X. I cannot wait to replace my new Tacoma with a Model T (Tesla Truck) ~ period. Oh, and bought another 130 TSLA shares the other day; yes this morning (Thursday) will hurt, but then there is tomorrow (Friday), or next week:)

Well, hope this makes sense and is grammatically correct ~ tend to make my biggest mistakes writing when I should be fast or slow to sleep:) If you do not like what I have said, well that is okay too:) Laughter is okay as well:) I have to laugh at myself to get back to something like reality:)

Last edited:
Are we saying on the Tesla investor forum that Tesla shouldn't care about selling their cars? :) Because saying that the service problems are your own fault because you bought the car in a wrong location is exactly like saying Tesla should sell less cars.

OK, I sympathise with you but you're just overdoing it now, sorry. Should Tesla start sending updates via snail mail too because someone might not have a landline? And then that someone would complain about lack or slow communication?

No, Tesla knows exactly where people buy cars, near service centers. So they are opening those as fast as they can. But if you unlike normal people choose to buy the car where a service center is scarce, then expect to be left on your own to figure out how to deal with the problem. That's why people don't buy cars where the nearest center is more than 30 miles away.

I'm not giving them a cellphone number. My pay-per-minute cheap-phone is not a preferred contact method and is not reliable with the cell phone service out here.
Cell service isn't totally reliable here, either, but text messages require very little bandwidth and they tend to go through just fine.

Anyone getting a Tesla should acquire a real smartphone if they don't already have one. The value of the Tesla app, by itself, is enough to justify keeping at least a modest phone plan. So far, three people who didn't already have smartphones have followed my advice on this, and they're glad they did!

Today, Tesla is a company that seems to be largely run by Millennials. It doesn't surprise me that they expect customers to give them mobile numbers. While it annoyed me that they attempted to text my landline, I considered this to be a fairly minor point and moved on. The main issue is that Tesla needs to enable their customers to get through to live human beings, as a failsafe at the very least.

By the way, for those who have zero cell service at their home/work/etc., it is possible to "text enable" a landline (Google it).

I'm debating how long I can hold the stock while Tesla's brand turns into rubbish and people decide to buy anything-but-Tesla. :-(
Issues with service communication and with sudden price changes may have something to do with Model S/X sales being softer, as some existing S/X owners who've paid top dollar may feel less inclined to buy brand new Teslas.

While there are issues, Model 3 owners as a whole don't seem to be experiencing a show-stopping amount of communication-related pain. Making service appointments isn't painful for most owners at this point, and parts availability seems to have improved. Status updates and follow-up are problem areas, of course.

I do warn prospective Tesla buyers that communication is not Tesla's strong suit. But I still highly recommend purchasing Tesla vehicles, particularly the Model 3. (When people ask, I usually recommend purchasing a brand new Model 3 rather than an older Model S, because I think the 3 is likely to require less service in the long run, and because Autopilot is game-changing.)

Tesla certainly needs to do better at communication, and they need to hear from us on this. However, I'm not selling my stock, and I'm going to keep buying Tesla products!

• Love
Reactions: neroden
OK, I sympathise with you but you're just overdoing it now, sorry. Should Tesla start sending updates via snail mail too because someone might not have a landline? And then that someone would complain about lack or slow communication?

Tesla already has a set of settings in my account for "preferred contact method". Good for them! I chose "phone". Not "text". If I chose "snail mail", I'd expect them to honor that too! It's about pleasing the customer. They are already collecting the information about how I want to be reached, they just have to make sure they use it.

Sales numbers say different.

Elon's comments imply differently. Is perplexed as to why sales are falling; what percentage due to cannibalization and what percentage to delay in ordering arising from false hope for an imminent refresh.
I think a significant percentage is due to appalling service communications. I am trying to make Musk aware of this.

Then deflects by saying Gen II vehicles not very important. This quarters numbers would look different if they moved 25k Gen II vehicles and ~12k Model S. They don't see enough demand to warrant a 2nd shift on the production line. It used to be sustainable demand for Gen II was 100k per year but now is looking like 60k per year.
He's guessing 80K per year, which seems more plausible than 60K. Of course, if the "can't reach anyone" nightmare continutes, it'll drop to 10K per year.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed and jerry33
I was flabbergasted when some people yesterday evening started talking about a disappointing, bad call.
For me it was what *wasn't* said. I saw a management team which was totally unaware of Tesla's biggest problem right now -- the appalling communications failures.

What they said was fine. What they didn't say indicated a spectactularly dangerous blind spot. I am desperately trying to make them aware.

JESUS we get it neroden. you think the service is bad. Not everyone agrees. I just had my free wheels + new tyres fitted at my home, at a time of my choosing with zero hassle. I love teslas service. Stop acting like the tiny percentage of people with service issues that complain online means imminent death for the company. its getting old now...

That post just shows you don’t get @neroden.

JESUS we get it neroden. you think the service is bad. Not everyone agrees. I just had my free wheels + new tyres fitted at my home, at a time of my choosing with zero hassle. I love teslas service. Stop acting like the tiny percentage of people with service issues that complain online means imminent death for the company. its getting old now...
Once you get to the service, it's excellent as always, but a recent change in the way you contact the service has made it practically impossible to communicate.

I recently had a positive experience with Tesla service. Had an issue while driving. Got immediately through to Tesla roadside assistance. Was able to get things straightened out on the road, but I still made a service appointment. Making the appointment was smooth. In addition, the next day I reached out directly to Tesla. Call was picked up almost immediately. The gentleman on the phone did some initial diagnostic testing for me based on my car's logs. He believed the warning light I got was just a glitch in the computer, but told me to keep my service appointment until further analysis could be done. They then did a did dive into the logs of my car. The day before my scheduled service appointment, I received a phone call (went to VM) and an email informing me that all checked out with my car, and that the caller would cancel my service appointment for me. Great experience.

Last edited:
I recently had a positive experience with Tesla service. Had an issue while driving. Got immediately through to Tesla roadside assistance. Was able to get things straightened out on the road, but I still made a service appointment. Making the appointment was smooth. In addition, the next day I reached out directly to Tesla. Call was picked up almost immediately. The gentleman on the phone did some initial diagnostic testing for me based on my car's logs. He believed the warning light I got was just a glitch in the computer, but told me to keep my service appointment until further analysis could be done. The day before my scheduled service appointment, I received a phone call (went to VM) and an email informing me that all checked out with my car, and that the caller would cancel my service appointment for me. Great experience.

So, basically, they said, “Hey, the issue you had is nothing,” instead of wanting to dive deep and figure out a cause.

Yup, great experience.

Reactions: neroden

Totally agree. It's like there's a broken record playing in here. Yes, we get it! You think, no, you KNOW the service is bad across the board. How many times do you have to say it? It's getting beyond old, it's like being tied up by kidnappers and left in a basement with a 45 rpm record of a questionable song, playing endlessly. Endlessly. Endlessly. Endlessly. We do get it. You don't need to say even one more word.

Musk already knows. If you don't think he's taking it seriously enough, tattoo your body with "bad service" and run past the Freemont security guard in the nude, waving your arms like a flapping bird, and saying loudly in a parrot voice "Service is bad, Service is bad" while looking wild-eyed and dishevelled. You might even make it on the evening news. Musk is sure to hear about it.

Because that's basically what you're doing here. You don't need to respond to this.

Last edited:
I've often wondered why the anti-Tesla media hasn't contacted one of us who are screaming as loudly as we can about this problem and it's ongoing trend of getting worse and not better? I got out of all of my TSLA stock and I encourage others to do so as well as this kind of a stock built on such a flimsy house of cards will collapse rapidly once the emotions change. Tesla cannot walk and chew gum at the same time and doesn't really seem interested in even trying for that matter. All that matters to them are delivery numbers. Thats. It. They fail to see the obvious erosion of the dam and won't notice it's severity until the dam fails and it's wayyyy too late to do anything about.

The constant "we're expanding service" promise is just nothing but one huge lie. Service center expansion is horribly slow and has been since the very first one opened. Peak markets have to wait weeks and MONTHS to get an appointment... It's been that way for YEARS... I mean seriously, how long is the investment community going to listen to the same lie without realizing they've been lied to?

Even if Tesla actually expanded their service footprint as has loooong been promised, they've severely regressed on how you can even contact them. Phone trees are broken, call centers are overwhelmed, you can't even call a service center directly now. Not to mention the shift from loaners to Lyft credits... How is it we went from you'll get a full loaded P100D as a loaner to Lyft...??? Elon lies to make a splash and then no one has the temerity to call him on it because he's well, Elon. The investor community needs to stop coddling this company and this man and start holding their feet to the fire or sell your stock and move on.

How many times is Elon going to be allow to lie to all of you before you realize he's lying and do something about it? ALL of the current problems are caused by HIS decisions. I can't think of a modern day CEO who's been allowed to get away with what Elon's been allowed to get away with while still holding his "cult like" status. Tesla needs to put someone in his position that knows what the hell they're doing and then build a management team around them to properly execute that vision. Why this hasn't happened at this point is really confusing to me...

Jeff

I recently had a positive experience with Tesla service. Had an issue while driving. Got immediately through to Tesla roadside assistance. Was able to get things straightened out on the road, but I still made a service appointment. Making the appointment was smooth. In addition, the next day I reached out directly to Tesla. Call was picked up almost immediately. The gentleman on the phone did some initial diagnostic testing for me based on my car's logs. He believed the warning light I got was just a glitch in the computer, but told me to keep my service appointment until further analysis could be done. The day before my scheduled service appointment, I received a phone call (went to VM) and an email informing me that all checked out with my car, and that the caller would cancel my service appointment for me. Great experience.

Given the horror stories about *communications*, I think we understood there is a problem.
Now, if everyone will do everything in their power to tell Tesla people about the issue, that would be nice and helpful.
In the meantime, I agree that we can put the thing on hold and focusing on other matters, at least on this thread.

So, basically, they said, “Hey, the issue you had is nothing,” instead of wanting to dive deep and figure out a cause.

Yup, great experience.
Please read my post - it was a great experience. In fact, better than I have ever had with any other car I have owned. After my initial call, they did a deep dive based on the logs of the car. This is exactly what would have been done had I gone directly in for service. Furthermore, they offered to have me keep my service appointment if I wanted to go. I agreed with them on canceling. The issue has not come up again, so they were correct. On my initial call, they also took LOTS of time to go through the logs with me. On the follow-up VM and email, they told me exactly what went wrong and what they found. Again, great experience.

Last edited:
I saw a management team which was totally unaware of Tesla's biggest problem right now -- the appalling communications failures.
Agreed, it's a big problem. Lucky thing it's easy to fix. Deploy some software for issue tracking and make sure everybody uses it. Hire a few first line call center people who actually know who at Tesla is responsible for taking care of *your* problem and can connect you to them. That's pretty much all that's needed at this point. Of course, Elon doesn't think much of solving simple problems, so it's not likely to happen without lots of misery and screaming.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden and Skryll
First, @neroden has addressed the maintenance concern for as long as I can remember. His passion is deep and as straightforward as I have found.

While I do not own near the shares that Neroden does, my first thousand shares was converted from Shell Oil, almost one for one shortly after my father (passed) turned one third of his pyramid over to me. I had also bought 100 shares during the initial offering. I have been environmentally aware of the doom and gloom since holes were discovered in our ozone layer, and spent a month of officer basic at Fort Sill, OK (not really okay - dry humor) in 113 degree weather ~ lived to talk about it. My pregnant wife ran to California to be with her parents, you know it as the land of the Valley Girls:)

Most do not remember, and that is okay, I commanded the very first multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) battery (Field Artillery) in Europe the summer of 1983. My entire life I have fought against elitist primarily because I am academically challenged, height challenged and what I affectionately refer to as a quiet leader. I have almost always succeeded where elitist can point officers (academy children) failed to venture. The introduction of MLRS rocket system was designed to scare the combat boots off the russians while introducing technology at its finest. There you go, I had the first ever GPS (fit in the back of a Jeep), first rocket system since WW II, newest fuel tanker ~ this one battery had the fire power of three 8” battalions and each launcher was under the command of a Staff Sergeant (E-6). Did I mention we had our own WiFi intranet; not internet. Oh, and while completing the officer advanced course, I completed my masters; created/fielded a manual driven war game designed to teach leadership the tactics of MLRS, and was in command of the battery while it moved through cohort training. The European theater was indecisive and changed our final destination within weeks of our arrival in Germany. Everything that could go wrong with the assembly, deployment and training did, did, and did again. Our new to the army system HUMMERs were not off the assembly line yet, so we got new and used jeeps instead. Unannounced unit drug testing was initiated a month before we were to deploy. I had fourteen enlisted, and noncommissioned soldiers caught in that sting. I took responsibility for them and fielded the unit anyway. No housing was available for families as we landed, the motor pool was being remodeled and every officer and enlisted soldier of our parent battalion hated us to the core. Our new weapon system was going to replace them within ten years, and they took their fear/hate out on us. The hundreds of thousands of dollars earmarked for the success of my battery went to fix a sagging European Army instead of locks and tents for my troops. I thank my god, none of my men suffered frostbite the first winter. As an individual I survived that fielding from hell, and was personally selected as a captain, by the European Commander, to bump a Major on orders from the army command and general staff college, to become the S-3 Operations Officer of the second MLRS battalion in Europe. My wife and two rug rats took the hit, but I lived my life, my way. My wife and I are completing forty-five years in December, and we are completing a two weeks visit with our GrandPups (my affectionate referral to the two grandchildren) now, and their rescued black lab Brandi (she was deemed a failure as a hunting dog). Our daughter and our son-in-law are celebrating ten years on an Alaskan cruise. Our son, well I only hope he forgave me as his father and is with me spiritually ~ god knows I need all the help I can get. He told me one day while jumping on the couch, “go back to the field daddy.”:-(

Yes, you are right, no one gives a tinkers darn about my story or life, and justifiably so ~ we are all to damned busy with our own lives that are way more important. But in the end, this is Tesla and Elon we are talking about!

As a newly minted butter bar (2d Lieutenant), it was hammered into my head during my initial Field Artillery schooling that communications was a four way street, and failure to communicate, no not the movie quote; was and would always be my failure ~ mine and mine alone. We had to maintain communication with the guy in front, to our right, to our left, and behind us, always, always, and always. If commo went down it was our responsibility to troubleshoot and repair to the point of having communication once again.

Tesla is the only thing out there that is worth saving. If you know my call sign of MajorBS49, you can read between the lines. From my short story above you can glimpse the hell both Tesla and Elon are in today and have been from the day they went public.

We just replaced our 2017 Model X with a 2Q19; same exact model. The GrandPups figured it out when trying to close the falcon wings:) Same license too ~ another story in Tesla communications. Our Key Fobs began to repeatedly fail roughly a year ago. In the beginning the communication was good, I could call in and talk to a human within short order. Near the tipping point to replace, communication was no longer 5-by (clear communication), so we opted to replace. Stock was down, and if it did collapse, well we were betting on a new car holding out longer and having the newest technologies for that time and place. Rational? Probably not. But in my world, yes.

Folks, I have fallen off the rails a number of times (even here) over my first seventy years, and will a few more times during my last thirty. Tesla, and Elon have rebounded each time from bad news. At the same time I want @neroden to bring out all the dirt! Because Tesla/Elon must resolve the problem and not do so in a vacuum. Remember, not all ships turn on a dime ~ and I am an army guy:)

When we took our first X in for a fix, the service experience was as I would expect as an owner of our first car that cost four times our first home purchase in Fullerton, CA in 1975 +/-. The service discussed experience desired again here will undoubtedly cost money to fix/repair the public point of view. Tesla and Elon have been, in my perfect world, unfairly abused over money. So, expect the cost of repairing this to be high. Expect the bears to eat my lunch, Elon will stop them by dinner or the oatmeal for breakfast will be cold.

Talk of outsourcing seems out of character for Tesla/Elon.

Tesla/Elon is my last line of defense. My grandchildren (GrandPups) are at stake:) There is no better technologically advanced car on the road, bar none ~ my wife looked before we replaced our Model X. I cannot wait to replace my new Tacoma with a Model T (Tesla Truck) ~ period. Oh, and bought another 130 TSLA shares the other day; yes this morning (Thursday) will hurt, but then there is tomorrow (Friday), or next week:)

Well, hope this makes sense and is grammatically correct ~ tend to make my biggest mistakes writing when I should be fast or slow to sleep:) If you do not like what I have said, well that is okay too:) Laughter is okay as well:) I have to laugh at myself to get back to something like reality:)

Oh Dragon...
Please get some professional help.....maybe you can share some family snapshots from your vacations? Maybe a Super8 movie?

My LEXUS dealer welcomes me with graciousness.
I have a new clean loaner car at my want.

The hostess at the cafe bar offers me mochas and espressos...along with a wide assortment of nibbles.
The two story waterfall is soothing as I relax in the expansive second story customer lounge...

Want home service? No Problem.
A flatbed tow truck comes to my place with a clean loaner car....takes my car to the dealer...
returns my car....ahhhhh

Concierge service? awesome...
I enjoy special deals and events...lunch at Post Ranch - one of the 100 FINEST Hotels in World -
On the house...

I feel appreciated and valued.

I wouldn't put up with the crap I read about here at a Denny's...
But at a Michelin star establishment?
You must be kidding.
Spending over $100k for a car and being treated like dog dirt...
This religious fervor needs an intervention