Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should be held accountable to industry standard, which is not the norm for them to provide transportation for outside of warranty work. This is what that extra ala carte option for rental cars from your insurance company is for.
There ain’t no such thing as a “Free Loaner” (TANSTAAFL) if it’s during warrantee, it’s covered by the warrantee. If it’s outside of warrantee, it just means you are paying for the loaner as part of the service charge whether it’s itemized as such or not.

You probably got on Elon's "naughty" list. Those people rarely get loaners (only if they have a surplus), they are less likely to get non-warranty repairs covered under goodwill, and OTA updates are often delayed until most of the fleet is already on the newest version.

Once on the naughty list, it's nearly impossible to get off so be careful out there!
/s
I thought if you were on Elon's naughty list you ended up pregnant? @Pezpunk ?

Why is this topic even in the investing thread?

If some random quasi celeb lost their key Fob for a Porsche would anyone give a damn?

You do what you do with any other car on the planet, you have a spare at home. Do you think Porsche or Mercedes have service people who fix this stuff remotely? What kind of an idiot only has a single key fob as their sole way of getting into a car?

I know you didn’t drag this inappropriately into the main thread, but you feel compelled to defend a moron in it.
Doesn't excuse the poor communication and service he got from Tesla.

What kind of service would you expect from Mercedes on a (apparently) 5+ year old car?
Someone at the service department to answer the phone?

He also found it near-impossible to get in contact with Tesla's support teams.

"I had a very difficult time getting through to any of these people," Howerton said, noting he wasn't able to get in contact with Tesla's roadside assistance and vehicle support teams.

Someone at the service department to answer the phone?
@Ogre

I agree with @JRP3 on this one. Tesla needs to have a reliable means for its customers to reach them when they need help. First principles stuff for Customer Service. I love that Tesla works hard to avoid having issues. But there will be issues. There should be the same engineering focus on having 1st principles communications as there is on product.
I shouldn’t have to drive to a Service Center to resolve an issue. And I don’t like not having any good options to reliably reach them when I travel. Depending on trip, I actually plot out where the Service Centers are, so I know where I could go if I did have an issue and the communications failed. Tesla is big enough now, with enough resource to do better.

Last comment - an example. I had a business trip Monday-Tuesday requiring me to drive to Harrisbug, PA. Visited with a number of colleagues who had never been in an S, and of course I took them out. Potential customers. I would love to be able to brag about the service vs put caveats around it.. both because I love the car and because I am an investor.

Mercedes has a 7/24 service department that handles broken key fobs on 5 year old cars? Seriously doubt this.
Most dealers will answer a phone promptly on a Saturday regardless of the vehicle age.

1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372)

Whether it’s replacing a flat tire, delivering a jump start, or providing fuel should you accidentally run out, Roadside Assistance can provide help when you need it most, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
My personal Tesla Service experience is turning out to be incredible as the car ages, IMO. Regardless of how many accidental reasons I have to end up there due to bad roads and weather.
Huh?

"incredible" as in bad, or good?

I may have to move to your part of the planet. Our experiences have gone from outstanding (in 2013) to "How could it get this bad now that we have several new, six-figure Teslas and be treated like we've purchased 20-year old Kias with no warranty?"

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Huh?

"incredible" as in bad, or good?

I may have to move to your part of the planet. Our experiences have gone from outstanding (in 2013) to "How could it get this bad now that we have several new, six-figure Teslas and be treated like we've purchased 20-year old Kias with no warranty?"

As in good - I've had ~7 flats + 1 rim leak + 1 windshield replacement for various reasons over the 2+ years with my Model 3 Perf. Over time, Tesla service has stopped taking in walk-ins unless they're a safety concern. In more than one case, they gave me a discount on labor or made it free. This was while giving me same-day service lately.

At the other extreme, my Tesla resides about a two minute walk from the local service center. The last time my Plaid S visited there was in early September 2021 when it was delivered.
My previous Model 3P did not list an SC except for after a friend had an accident driving my car. It never again visited an SC. Obviously these are anecdotes so are not necessarily indicative of Tesla reliability. But...
Warranty Week does a good service by actually comparing per vehicle costs:
fig2.png

Those numbers clearly show Tesla's superior quality control. This chart only compared the two other US owned OEM's. They do have other charts that show many more, but those become a trifle cumbersome to view here. For those who care a search for "Warranty Week" is the quick solution. FWIW, historically most warranty claims happen during the first six months of use, hence are biased to reflect assembly, shipping and dealer prep defects. During Tesla's early years there we common shipping damage problems but these have diminished rapidly due to, essentially, better scale with shippers.

When we discuss Tesla's mobile service, Service Centers and similar issues it si appropriate to understand that the absolute scale of Tesla service facility needs can scale more slowly than it would were not quality so good. We can expect more Service Centers globally, but smaller and less expensive ones that would be needed for other OEMs. It is very logical to expect more stores, more popups, and more Superchargers scaling simply because those three directly help sell products.

As Tesla designs and production processes improve, vehicle design continues to simplify, the trends in the chart above will continue to diverge from other OEM experience.

For context just consider only three things:
-front and rear megacasting, eliminating hundreds of individual parts;
-new automated paint shops, vastly reducing rework;
-structural battery packs, whether Tesla or BYD, both reduce parts counts, simplify assembly;
Every single such item ends out with lower service needs, reduced warranty expense and cheaper build.

All of those things in aggregate allow lower prices, better margins and happier customers.
We should all remember those things as we agonize over issues related to rapid scaling, shouldn't we?