Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service appointment with FSD Beta firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a service appointment at a Service Center in January and have FSD Beta 10.8 installed. I know mobile service has to push a dummy software update to complete appointments, does the same thing happen with Service Center appointments?

I don’t want to lose beta and get a dummy update back to the standard release. Just curious if anyone has any experience with Service Center appointments while on beta.

I have a service appointment at a Service Center in January and have FSD Beta 10.8 installed. I know mobile service has to push a dummy software update to complete appointments, does the same thing happen with Service Center appointments?

I don’t want to lose beta and get a dummy update back to the standard release. Just curious if anyone has any experience with Service Center appointments while on beta.
Nothing to worry about. They will put it in service mode while it's at the service center. That's what happened when I took mine in. It was there about two weeks and always in service mode.

Just to be extra careful you might want to send a message from the app (within the appointment) and let them know you have the beta and ask them to confirm they will put it in service mode.

I've had 2 service appointments while on FSD beta: 1) windshield replacement; 2) NVH correction. Neither trip forced me to install any new/temp firmware. FSD beta performs as expected. Only exception (which is true for regular AP/NOA as well) is that in the hours after the windshield install, the cameras need to recalibrate. But the system still lets you use AP/NOA/FSD. The side effect of that is that your car is off-center when lane tracking.

Last edited:
I’ve only had one mobile service experience, but they definitely did not push a dummy software update. Where did you read that they do that? Never heard of that before.
Had a mobile service appointment last week, they definitely did push a dummy update. The Tesla website even mentions this:
  • On the day of your appointment, you may see a pending software update - please do not install this. This update has been sent by your Mobile Service Technician and will be needed to perform your repair. Updating the vehicle ahead of the repair may significantly increase the repair time.
Source: Mobile Service Support

Had a mobile service appointment last week, they definitely did push a dummy update. The Tesla website even mentions this:
  • On the day of your appointment, you may see a pending software update - please do not install this. This update has been sent by your Mobile Service Technician and will be needed to perform your repair. Updating the vehicle ahead of the repair may significantly increase the repair time.
Source: Mobile Service Support
Interesting, but that didn’t happen in my case. Maybe it was because my 12V battery was being replaced. I have another upcoming mobile service appointment to deal with my Model S frunk latch recall, so we’ll see what happens then. The note above says “you may see a pending software update,” so maybe it depends on the service.

Mine went in for service which included a four wheel alignment which requires a test drive afterword by service personnel. I have the beta + Tesla insurance so I was curious what would be recorded on my safety score. The service invoice indicated a test drive to verify the alignment but my safety score said "No Drives For This Day" when I looked, and Teslafi also indicates no drives. So "Service Mode" seems to bypass all the regular monitoring features of the car.

Mine went in for service which included a four wheel alignment which requires a test drive afterword by service personnel. I have the beta + Tesla insurance so I was curious what would be recorded on my safety score. The service invoice indicated a test drive to verify the alignment but my safety score said "No Drives For This Day" when I looked, and Teslafi also indicates no drives. So "Service Mode" seems to bypass all the regular monitoring features of the car.
Possible reason is that Tesla does not do what they write in their Service Order. They just put it for regulatory reason. Today they came for the Hood Replacement Safety Recall - Did not do anything that is listed in the Recall, Tesla Mobile tech said every is good!.