Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service appointments - lots of them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My M3 has a collection of annoying rattles. I went onto the app to register them assuming that it would inform me no appointments were to be had but it's quite the opposite - Heathrow has just about every appointment free.

At this time I don't feel comfortable going there... But I just assumed they were closed? Or perhaps only open for serious breakdowns?

Weird.

On a related note. One of the things I like about my M3 is the lack of rattles. The most common cause of "rattles" is the door seals drying out and rubbing on the windows. I know that does not sound like something that would cause a rattle but surprisingly that is exactly what it sounds like and it was driving me up the wall a few weeks back. The fix is to treat the seals with a lubricant ( particularly at the very top where the window goes behind the chrome trim) . Gummi Pflege works well and contains no silicone ( silicone can be bad for seals). I went bit OTT and and also treated the glass with rainx and waxed the paintwork on the on the door and frame. Basically anything to remove friction between the door seals and what they touch. Result: rattles 100% gone.
There are a couple of threads about it on this forum.
Not saying 100% this is your problem but if you have a "collection" of rattles in a generally rattle free model then this probably accounts for at least some of them, it's very common.
You can test to some degree by winding down the windows but unfortunately the resulting wind noise makes it hard to be sure.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
Hi,

My M3 has a collection of annoying rattles. I went onto the app to register them assuming that it would inform me no appointments were to be had but it's quite the opposite - Heathrow has just about every appointment free.

At this time I don't feel comfortable going there... But I just assumed they were closed? Or perhaps only open for serious breakdowns?

Weird.

Lucky you I'm approaching month 5 of my wait for someone to fix a service issue

Hi,

Weird.
It'll be zero touch. You'll drop the car off, someone will come out and collect it, etc.

Reactions: Akikiki
On a related note. One of the things I like about my M3 is the lack of rattles. The most common cause of "rattles" is the door seals drying out and rubbing on the windows. I know that does not sound like something that would cause a rattle but surprisingly that is exactly what it sounds like and it was driving me up the wall a few weeks back. The fix is to treat the seals with a lubricant ( particularly at the very top where the window goes behind the chrome trim) . Gummi Pflege works well and contains no silicone ( silicone can be bad for seals). I went bit OTT and and also treated the glass with rainx and waxed the paintwork on the on the door and frame. Basically anything to remove friction between the door seals and what they touch. Result: rattles 100% gone.
There are a couple of threads about it on this forum.
Not saying 100% this is your problem but if you have a "collection" of rattles in a generally rattle free model then this probably accounts for at least some of them, it's very common.
You can test to some degree by winding down the windows but unfortunately the resulting wind noise makes it hard to be sure.
I have the window rattle on the drivers side window which does go away if you open the window. As I've barely driven the car for over a month I had forgotten about it but this post has just reminded me to order some gummi pflege.

I have the window rattle on the drivers side window which does go away if you open the window. As I've barely driven the car for over a month I had forgotten about it but this post has just reminded me to order some gummi pflege.
The annoying thing is that the applicator on the gummi does not quite fit into the gap that the top of the window goes in. that + gravity makes it really hard to do the top seal and that's the main one but it does work really well once you get it done.

This is a good time to tell you folks a story about rattles. Back in the 60's UAW had a strike against Mercury part of Ford. The strike went on for a while and Mercury hired temps to help build cars. I was working at the Ford dealership in the parts dept. Our sister dealership was the Mercury dealership. I used to deliver parts to the Mercury dealer, so I was over their ever day.

Mercury guys had a customer that bought a new Lincoln Towncar. Expensive. Right after he bought it, he started bringing it in for rattles. Drove him crazy Brought it in over and over. Just bringing it in because a sort of joke among us, "has Bubba (not his name) brought his car in again this week? Yep, there it is..".

He claimed a rattle when he stopped fast, or made a left or right turn. People rode with him, and yes heard it. No one could find it. This went on for months. He threatened to return the car, they promised to find it next time. Finally the region rep told the dealership to give him a loaner (that never happened) and keep his car until they found it.

They eventually found it. Two of them. They had to replace a welded cross-member under the car and a rear door (and paint it.). When they found both, there was a note with the rattle. In side the welded cross-member was a Jack Daniels whiskey bottle - you know the square bottom one - it had ball bearings in it. The other one, they had to cut the bottom baffles out of a car door to get to it. Same thing. Both bottles had a note wrapped around the outside. It showed the date, the name of the plant and even a name of the scab that was the temp worker. And the notes had a question to no one in particular, "How long did it take you to find this?" They had sabotaged a bunch of cars going different places/states to screw with Mercury for hiring temps.

No saying this is what's wrong with our door rattles. Just sharing.

Thanks for the input - I have the gummi stuff but perhaps I haven't applied it properly? At least one of the noises could be that. Is there a video/written guide that best describes how to do it?

As for the number of appointments - I'm just surprised that they seem to be in full swing. I cannot easily by a tin of emulsion for home DIY anywhere other than online but I can drop my car off for a rattle and be given a a loaner. Just seems odd to me?

A message arrived in my app inbox this morning.
Is the car telling me something :)

02010712-29AF-46BD-BC40-4C14BF08A9B6.png

Thanks for the input - I have the gummi stuff but perhaps I haven't applied it properly? At least one of the noises could be that. Is there a video/written guide that best describes how to do it?

As for the number of appointments - I'm just surprised that they seem to be in full swing. I cannot easily by a tin of emulsion for home DIY anywhere other than online but I can drop my car off for a rattle and be given a a loaner. Just seems odd to me?
I've not seen a video. I just applied it generously to all of the seals on the frame and the ones on the door. As I mentioned i think the most important place is the very top where the window disappears behind the chrome trim. Make sure you get plenty in there even if you have to transfer some gummi to a cloth or sponge. I did manage to wiggle the applicator into that space but its very tight on the front doors and I nearly broke it so be careful. I made sure the top bit of the window was nice and clean as well.
I recommend doing all the doors. The way sound resonates around a car its very hard to identify a source sometimes. It may be that some of your other rattles are the same thing from other doors but you can't tell.

I cannot easily by a tin of emulsion for home DIY anywhere other than online but I can drop my car off for a rattle and be given a a loaner. Just seems odd to me?

Neither of them could be called fulfilling a basic necessity so people should be doing neither - just because a place is open, it doesn't mean that it should be used unless it is necessary. Going to a garage to get a rattle fixed is no more a necessity than going to a hardware store just to buy paint. However, if you buy paint or get the rattle fixed at the same time as fulfilling a basic necessity (such as buying something to fix a leaking pipe, or getting a broken-down car fixed that otherwise may prevent you carrying out other necessary tasks) then that can be done. Worth noting that many shops closed voluntarily that could otherwise be open under the rules. imho.