Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service BLOWS - yep, you've been telling me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to the M3 HVAC design flaw, I've got a"Musk" stench coming from my air vents (of the Elon type). Too busy to clean the coils myself, I scheduled a service appt at Tyco Road in Tyson's Corner, VA. After waiting three weeks to get the car in for a SHORT service I had my wife take it in on the designated date. I wish I were there - I never would have left the car. They told her it would take 3-5 days to perform the service. Really?? Well, why didn't you have the car come in when you're ready to work on it instead of leaving out on your lot (which, with 40 less miles on the battery I'm not sure that's where it was)? I texted the service rep that was working the case with that question. I was totally ignored. No response, nothing - good thing too, because any response other than they are incompetent would be a lie. I wake up on Saturday morning to see a message that was sent sometime between midnight and 6am telling me the car was ready. Hmmm, that means it was ready on Friday. I texted them to ensure my key was in the car literally 8-10 times because there are NO SERVICE HOURS on a Saturday unless you've made an appt. Of course, the incompetent service rep refuses to respond all day. Since the message said my car was ready, I decided to pick it up that evening. Of course, NO KEY! -Exactly my concern and the reason I contacted the service rep. So, I guess my car was NOT ready to be picked up. When I got the car I noticed there was about 40 miles less on the battery life....Hmmmm, don't think the car loses 10 miles/day sitting there. I run operations for a billion dollar business - none of those service reps would last a week working for me. With the service horror stories I've read I should be better prepared for them to not set expectations or follow through. When you buy a fully loaded M3 and write that size check, you'd expect better. Looking forward to more competition so I have more options in the future.

Elon, fire your corporate service executive! I'm happy to give you a week or two of free consulting services.

Due to the M3 HVAC design flaw, I've got a"Musk" stench coming from my air vents (of the Elon type). Too busy to clean the coils myself, I scheduled a service appt at Tyco Road in Tyson's Corner, VA. After waiting three weeks to get the car in for a SHORT service I had my wife take it in on the designated date. I wish I were there - I never would have left the car. They told her it would take 3-5 days to perform the service. Really?? Well, why didn't you have the car come in when you're ready to work on it instead of leaving out on your lot (which, with 40 less miles on the battery I'm not sure that's where it was)? I texted the service rep that was working the case with that question. I was totally ignored. No response, nothing - good thing too, because any response other than they are incompetent would be a lie. I wake up on Saturday morning to see a message that was sent sometime between midnight and 6am telling me the car was ready. Hmmm, that means it was ready on Friday. I texted them to ensure my key was in the car literally 8-10 times because there are NO SERVICE HOURS on a Saturday unless you've made an appt. Of course, the incompetent service rep refuses to respond all day. Since the message said my car was ready, I decided to pick it up that evening. Of course, NO KEY! -Exactly my concern and the reason I contacted the service rep. So, I guess my car was NOT ready to be picked up. When I got the car I noticed there was about 40 miles less on the battery life....Hmmmm, don't think the car loses 10 miles/day sitting there. I run operations for a billion dollar business - none of those service reps would last a week working for me. With the service horror stories I've read I should be better prepared for them to not set expectations or follow through. When you buy a fully loaded M3 and write that size check, you'd expect better. Looking forward to more competition so I have more options in the future.

Elon, fire your corporate service executive! I'm happy to give you a week or two of free consulting services.

I hear you....blows my mind. But hey Tesla’s stock is at what $2200? $2400? Just split 5 ways. Gigs Austins being built for CT.....Neuralink chips in Pigs.... V11 coming....Roadster 2 on horizon....Blows my mind...LOVE THIS CAR(P3D+)! Don’t want to derail this thread but the same damn disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street. (Please don’t go there). But I feel your pain. Elon’s GOT TO GET A GRIP on Service.......carry on.

Ski

If you can, I advise any new owners to try different centers until you find one that suits you best.

Agreed.....100%. My SC is great.....stellar group. Granted it’s literally an all day affair. Almost 100 miles EACH WAY to another state over a river. But nothing but great. I’ve had minimal need over two years. My P3D+ turns 2 next month. But I hear what most are saying about service. This business of NEED and not being able to schedule an appt until 2-3 weeks out is absolutely ridiculous, NEEDS TO CHANGE. How is this going to change with CT and Rdstr2? Come on.

Ski

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Everyone on the forums base their opinions on what they read on the forums. Everyone should already know that only people with quality and service issues report on the forum.....and not all of them. You never hear from the hundreds of thousands of other owners who don't have those issues. So what is the real truth? Tesla sure doesn't report them.
I believe you are right.

Everyone on the forums base their opinions on what they read on the forums. Everyone should already know that only people with quality and service issues report on the forum.....and not all of them. You never hear from the hundreds of thousands of other owners who don't have those issues. So what is the real truth? Tesla sure doesn't report them.

Numerous sources report Tesla has the highest owner satisfaction of any car brand, so yeah, there can be really awful service, but it's needed rarely enough it doesn't interfere with the vast vast majority of owners loving their cars.

FWIW my own experiences with actual service have been quite good... but experiences with communication, scheduling, and logistics stuff has been horrendously poor.

@DJKappeler I went to Tyson’s service center earlier this week for exactly the same problem. During the check-in process, when the check-in rep informed me that the wait would be about a week, I refused to l leave my car with no loaner available. So the rep offered mobile service instead.

Mobile service came by my house on Friday, took care of the HVAC cleaning and replaced the filters. All told, about 45 minutes. It was a great experience not having to go anywhere and leave the car for days at a time.

It is surprising to me as well that Tesla wouldn’t move minor jobs and repairs to mobile service proactively when the service center gets so busy. In the future I am going to ask for mobile service in my note when describing the issue for which I am scheduling a service appointment. The mobile service tech suggested it may help get mobile service.

I really hate how we "schedule appointments" and then things take much longer than they should. The cause of this is likely the same as them ignoring you - they are simply way too busy and stretched thin. They are definitely leaving the door open for other manufacturers to make a similar product and provide way better service, but no one has done it yet.

• Love
I’m sorry that your experience with your local SC is so poor. Not all of them are like that, however. Since the days I was looking to buy a Model 3 to the days where I needed service, the Chicago SC has been great. Knowledgeable people, provided me with loaners when my car was there and entertained my many questions.

My M3 just spent 8 days at Devon, PA SC. Had autopilot issues ever since the HW 3 upgrade done at another SC earlier this year. I was initially told 10 days for service. They set me up with Enterprise for a rental, which ended up being an F150 at $100 a day. How they justify that is beyond my understanding.

They really do need to add more service centers, this will eliminate these long waits and make them more cost effective in the long run. Driving 2.5 hrs one way for service is the biggest drawback to the Tesla ownership experience.

Numerous sources report Tesla has the highest owner satisfaction of any car brand, so yeah, there can be really awful service, but it's needed rarely enough it doesn't interfere with the vast vast majority of owners loving their cars.

FWIW my own experiences with actual service have been quite good... but experiences with communication, scheduling, and logistics stuff has been horrendously poor.
Loving their car and loving Tesla are not synonymous. More importantly, given how many Tesla owners are first time Tesla and EV buyers with under 3 years of ownership, such “sources” are rather meaningless. You don’t remember the new car honeymoon, let alone new-to-EV phase? A poll of those with a couple complete EV ownership lifecycles likely isn’t as favorable.

Fortunately for Tesla, they have many years ahead to prey on first time EV buyers. EVs have an inherently better drivertrain, which can be confused by many for loving Tesla.

I have always got good service, on my 3yrs+ MS75, I'm also a good customer too, goes hand in hand with getting good service. I always bring back the loaner car they gave me to use, washed and very clean, just as I would if a friend let be use his car while mine was down. Once I broke my cable and couldn't charge my car, got there 30mins, before they opened, with donuts, they let me in anyway, they checked my car, cable, and I bought a spare cable. I have gave them masks with Tesla logo on them, and I did bring T-Shirts with me once to give them, I'm always very polite never rude or get upset. I always thank them for fixing my car, and never act like just because I spent 70K+ they should bend over backwards for me. As long as my car is fixed, I don't care if they call me back or not. I have always been like that with all the cars I have owned and got serviced. Be Nice, it helps.

I have always got good service, on my 3yrs+ MS75, I'm also a good customer too, goes hand in hand with getting good service. I always bring back the loaner car they gave me to use, washed and very clean

Wait, you get loaners?

Also they typically let people in early since, again, they are absurdely busy. Also it's kind of sad that we would have to bribe them with food/goodies to get good service, i too have considered bringing donuts for them but thankfully never did it.

They are paid to provide a service, part of that service is being pleasant and providing a good experience for the customer. We shouldn't have to beg or bribe to get a response from them or prompt service.

But of course, being nice always helps in life!