Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service BLOWS - yep, you've been telling me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to the M3 HVAC design flaw, I've got a"Musk" stench coming from my air vents (of the Elon type). Too busy to clean the coils myself, I scheduled a service appt at Tyco Road in Tyson's Corner, VA. After waiting three weeks to get the car in for a SHORT service I had my wife take it in on the designated date. I wish I were there - I never would have left the car. They told her it would take 3-5 days to perform the service. Really?? Well, why didn't you have the car come in when you're ready to work on it instead of leaving out on your lot (which, with 40 less miles on the battery I'm not sure that's where it was)? I texted the service rep that was working the case with that question. I was totally ignored. No response, nothing - good thing too, because any response other than they are incompetent would be a lie. I wake up on Saturday morning to see a message that was sent sometime between midnight and 6am telling me the car was ready. Hmmm, that means it was ready on Friday. I texted them to ensure my key was in the car literally 8-10 times because there are NO SERVICE HOURS on a Saturday unless you've made an appt. Of course, the incompetent service rep refuses to respond all day. Since the message said my car was ready, I decided to pick it up that evening. Of course, NO KEY! -Exactly my concern and the reason I contacted the service rep. So, I guess my car was NOT ready to be picked up. When I got the car I noticed there was about 40 miles less on the battery life....Hmmmm, don't think the car loses 10 miles/day sitting there. I run operations for a billion dollar business - none of those service reps would last a week working for me. With the service horror stories I've read I should be better prepared for them to not set expectations or follow through. When you buy a fully loaded M3 and write that size check, you'd expect better. Looking forward to more competition so I have more options in the future.

Elon, fire your corporate service executive! I'm happy to give you a week or two of free consulting services.

I agree service is terrible. Had my Model S 5 days when an error message told me it might not start up and take it for service immediately. Five more days and crickets. Amazing. They can do so many incredible things but common courtesy and communication isn’t one of them.

Everyone on the forums base their opinions on what they read on the forums. Everyone should already know that only people with quality and service issues report on the forum.....and not all of them. You never hear from the hundreds of thousands of other owners who don't have those issues. So what is the real truth? Tesla sure doesn't report them.

The opposite is true as well I am sure. How many hundreds have had service issues but don't bother to post in a forum. This is usually the case with any product. Holding any company accountable makes it better for all.

Reactions: 0ptions
I agree service is terrible. Had my Model S 5 days when an error message told me it might not start up and take it for service immediately. Five more days and crickets. Amazing. They can do so many incredible things but common courtesy and communication isn’t one of them.

I should say that they did give me a loaner Model S albeit one seven years old with 85,000 miles. That said, it is a glimpse into the future and good news is everything works, body is tight, no rattles from the hatch and the seats aren’t worn. Still excited about Tesla ownership just annoyed not to be driving my car.

• Informative
Reactions: Actaeon
Just completed my first service experience after 1.5 years of ownership (M3 SR+). Needed a windshield replacement and had them do a rotation while I was at it ($39), and one other door seal adjustment (no charge). Although it took two weeks to get in, service was excellent. Job was completed in about 24 hours- used Uber vouchers to get back and forth. I was scared as the day approached, after reading all the stories here!! I couldn't have been happier.

Reactions: Futuresystem
I have done this with other products I have had serviced, what's wrong with saying thank you, customers give me stuff when I do a good job for them, I never looked at it as a bride, I thought it was a nice way to say thank you. As for the donuts, maybe that was a bride, I need a favor done, I broke my cable, and couldn't charge my car, and was going out of town that morning. I got there 30mins early without notice, and you know what they did, took me right in, checked out my car, they got my cable to work, don't know how, bought a spare in case I did that again. Believe me I know of Tesla owners that give a lot more then just T-Shirts. I always bring back the loaner car washed and clean, I know I'm not the only one that does that, It's called good manners, there never a waste. Try It!!, If that makes you sick, I'm very sorry.

Due to the M3 HVAC design flaw, I've got a"Musk" stench coming from my air vents (of the Elon type). Too busy to clean the coils myself, I scheduled a service appt at Tyco Road in Tyson's Corner, VA. After waiting three weeks to get the car in for a SHORT service I had my wife take it in on the designated date. I wish I were there - I never would have left the car. They told her it would take 3-5 days to perform the service. Really?? Well, why didn't you have the car come in when you're ready to work on it instead of leaving out on your lot (which, with 40 less miles on the battery I'm not sure that's where it was)? I texted the service rep that was working the case with that question. I was totally ignored. No response, nothing - good thing too, because any response other than they are incompetent would be a lie. I wake up on Saturday morning to see a message that was sent sometime between midnight and 6am telling me the car was ready. Hmmm, that means it was ready on Friday. I texted them to ensure my key was in the car literally 8-10 times because there are NO SERVICE HOURS on a Saturday unless you've made an appt. Of course, the incompetent service rep refuses to respond all day. Since the message said my car was ready, I decided to pick it up that evening. Of course, NO KEY! -Exactly my concern and the reason I contacted the service rep. So, I guess my car was NOT ready to be picked up. When I got the car I noticed there was about 40 miles less on the battery life....Hmmmm, don't think the car loses 10 miles/day sitting there. I run operations for a billion dollar business - none of those service reps would last a week working for me. With the service horror stories I've read I should be better prepared for them to not set expectations or follow through. When you buy a fully loaded M3 and write that size check, you'd expect better. Looking forward to more competition so I have more options in the future.

Elon, fire your corporate service executive! I'm happy to give you a week or two of free consulting services.

UPDATE - The EXTRA MILES ON MY CAR WERE CONFIRMED WHEN I LOOKED IN THE BACK SEAT AND FOUND SOMEONE'S TRASH FROM WENDY'S. GUESS THAT's WHY IT TAKES SEVERAL DAYS TO DO A 1 HOUR JOB WITH A PM3. TYCO ROAD IN TYSON'S VIRGINIA SUCKS.

• Informative
Reactions: 0ptions
I have done this with other products I have had serviced, what's wrong with saying thank you, customers give me stuff when I do a good job for them, I never looked at it as a bride, I thought it was a nice way to say thank you. As for the donuts, maybe that was a bride, I need a favor done, I broke my cable, and couldn't charge my car, and was going out of town that morning. I got there 30mins early without notice, and you know what they did, took me right in, checked out my car, they got my cable to work, don't know how, bought a spare in case I did that again. Believe me I know of Tesla owners that give a lot more then just T-Shirts. I always bring back the loaner car washed and clean, I know I'm not the only one that does that, It's called good manners, there never a waste. Try It!!, If that makes you sick, I'm very sorry.

That's excellent advice for good service. I just finished radiation at the hospital two weeks ago and bought the 9 techs that provided the service $20 Starbucks cards. That's typical for me. My kids learned at an early age that we take care of those who take care of us. I don't reward for poor service and, since Tesla hides behind their service app it is impossible to establish a relationship.

Everyone on the forums base their opinions on what they read on the forums. Everyone should already know that only people with quality and service issues report on the forum.....and not all of them. You never hear from the hundreds of thousands of other owners who don't have those issues. So what is the real truth? Tesla sure doesn't report them.[/QUOTE

every car I have bought over the past 10 years was researched online including owner forums. My last was Lexus 2016 Gx series and the overall comments were positive. So I don’t agree that only disgruntled owners post.

I took a drive to my SC in San Diego, probably a 20 minute drive. I wanted to give my Service Advisor feedback about the A/C job they did which worked perfectly on a drive to Yermo with Temps at 103 degrees, my Service advisor remembered my name and the reason why I took the model Y in, now that’s totally amazing with all of the customers they deal with on a daily basis. He said here in San Diego make a big deal about customer service, which it does shows. Great experience today. While I was there I got 2 license plate holder screws that was missing for my rear plates. Tesla Kearny Mesa & Tesla Mira Mar triple thumbs up.

Fred

Official MCR P3D+ Owner!!! 9/25/2018, MultiCoat Red, AWD Performance, Performance Upgrade, Premium Upgrades, Black Interior, EAP, FSD, Lifetime Internet Connectivity, Free Lifetime Supercharging, Track Mode.

???? What does that mean, Skione?

I live here in Connecticut outside of Hartford. The SC we have in state is in Milford, which is an hour down & an hour back (assuming traffic isn’t jamming up I-91& I95.. each visit is two round trips totaling 4 hours).Work at the service center tends to be good, but the customer service experience leaves a great deal to be desired… which is really a shame because a few years ago it was outstanding. (My P 85 is out of warranty). I discovered that I could drive to Electrified Garage in Seabrook NH - Two hours each way straight shot, major highways. Chris Salvo and his crew do excellent work, everything works, everything is done on time, and more importantly prices tend to be a discount to the rates from the service center. I know it’s not a solution for everybody, but I am very happy taking my car all the way to New Hampshire & back as opposed to the same four hours (down and back, down and back) just to be aggravated in Milford. Chris is presently opening another facility in Florida, and it sounds like at some point they’ll be opening additional locations. Keep your eyes open and hope the show come somewhere close to you guys.

Was contacted by Tesla about my paint, they advised me to have the work done and the will cover it. No pushback at all. While that is great customer service, the issues should not have occurred to begin with.

They really need more service centers in certain geographical areas to alievate the long wait times and initial issues. Look at the picture attached. I am in the Wilkes Barre area. Look at the huge hole in any direction till you hit a service center. Devon is 2.5 hours from me for reference.

F634859A-EF1C-49E4-A86E-285EA302BAC0.png

Well join the club of the disenfranchised Tesla owners. I love the car, especially when it works as it should. God help you if something goes wrong and the car is two year old or older. The service issue will eventually catch up with Musk and Tesla. That much is inevitable.

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea

I am surprised there isn’t a recall with the model 3 hvac system already. Mine has crashed the entire car while parked. Had to reboot. Tried to schedule appointment about the loud ac compressor noised and service refused and said it was normal for the model3 ac compressor to sound like home ac compressor. It didn’t use to make this much noise.
Something tells me the compressor Is working harder By design in new code to avoid creating the smell. $60k car feels so cheap.

So is the nasty smell of bacterial or fungal origin? Reminds me of the Legionnaires' disease. Has anyone every had their A/c system analyzed for bacteria or molds? This stuff blows right in your face. Can't be healthy. My roommate has developed a really bad fungal infection ...they said it was Valley Fever....but he doesn't go anywhere but ride passenger in my car and even commented on the bad smell. That was in late June. 3 weeks later he's in hospital for 20 days. Bacterial pneumonia and fungal infection of right lung. Out now but has to take Diflucan for 1 year or more!! Crazy but 100% true. So we need someone that can have their smelly air analyzed for bacteria, molds and fungi.

• Informative
Reactions: Fernand
I've had nothing but positive experiences with their service(in the Boston area). They even messed up on one thing but it was handled professionally. I've been super nice to them so I actually got the personal email and phone number of the service manager. No, I will NOT share it here!
Amazing things happen when you're nice to people who might not deserve it!

Reactions: Fernand