Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin for Wind Noise Issue on P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The invoice didn't say anything about the recall, it just said "noise. Installed foam to reduce the amount of wind incomming to cabin."

My car is going back next week to have my new seats installed so hopefully they will apply the TSB then.

There were parts specific to the TSB that I believe had to be ordered. You may want to be proactive and make sure they have these parts, so that if they don't they can order them for you in time to be able to perform the TSB.

Do you know if the TSB is specific to the P85D or does it apply to other models?

I have a 85 with a vin of 732xx and at 65 MPH+ I have wind noise up front, was thinking about taking some wide blue painting tape and trying to narrow down if it's the window, small triangle window, or sunroof.

The windows and door seals must be identical across all Model S configurations.

Last month I had my 85 in for its first ever service and on my "to do" list was for them to check the front door and window seals. They did something because the car is now noticeably quieter at speed. Before I could hear some noise from the front edge of the driver's window.

Do you know if the TSB is specific to the P85D or does it apply to other models?

I have a 85 with a vin of 732xx and at 65 MPH+ I have wind noise up front, was thinking about taking some wide blue painting tape and trying to narrow down if it's the window, small triangle window, or sunroof.

I don't know the specifics of the TSB. I just know that I had reported the issue to my service center, and some time later they told me there was now a TSB for it, but they were waiting for the parts to be able to perform the TSB.

The Vancouver service center recently told me they knew of the wind noise issue, but could not yet do anything about it. Hoping they can before winter... having to turn on heat just to counter the cold air that comes in through the window/seal is rather annoying.

Any updates on having the TSB performed and results?

I had posted elsewhere about this. I apologize for not updating this thread as well.

When my car eventually went to the service center for that issue, and to have my winter wheels taken off, they discovered that it already had the TSB parts installed. They did some insulating or something, and that did resolve the wind noise issue I was hearing from the front.

However...

Now that that wind noise is gone, I can hear a lesser wind noise issue that I couldn't have heard before the louder one was resolved, coming from behind me. It also occurs only at highway speed.

I have a ranger visit scheduled for next week to have my Next Generation seats installed, and he will check it out at that time.

Just picked up my P85D a couple days ago and the only road noise I hear on the highway is air around the a pillar, close to the side mirror. It is coming from a very focused spot at speeds above 60mph. Seems like the seal on the front edge of the window isn't gripping tight enough. Otherwise I don't hear any real road or wind noise which is good given some of the comments I have seen on the forum.

My P85D has just started doing this pretty badly in the triangle window area. I'm surprised because I thought they'd licked this.

My issue never really was resolved.

I now have pictures of ice forming at the area I believe the air comes in, on the driver's side, near the triangle window:

Ice inside driver's triangle window.jpg

Here's a picture of the inside of the passenger side triangle window, taken at the same time. No ice there:

No Ice inside passenger's triangle window.jpg

My car is going in for the 24,000 mile annual service and some other things next week. I really hope that armed with this picture, they can finally resolve this issue for me.

Can some black silicone along the bottom of the window fix it too, would you think? (where your snow is coming in)

-m

I don't want to mess with it myself. I'd like the Service Center to fix it properly. (Thanks for the suggestion, though.)

I've heard wind noise from that area literally from the third day I owned the car, which was the first day I took it on the highway. One time a ranger drove with me and said what he heard was normal. I'd like to think that if ice is building up there (and not on the other side) that it is not normal, and that if the air is getting in such that ice can build up, it also could be the sound I am hearing that has been bothering me.

I had the wind noise issue fixed today during my annual service and this is what they did:

"Performed several test drives on high way to investigate wind nois a-pillar. Adjusted front part of door seal at body side. Applied foam behind bright work. Applied foam tape behind sealing. Retested and found in order."

The wind noise is gone so I'm a happy camper.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
I had the wind noise issue fixed today during my annual service and this is what they did:

"Performed several test drives on high way to investigate wind nois a-pillar. Adjusted front part of door seal at body side. Applied foam behind bright work. Applied foam tape behind sealing. Retested and found in order."

Thanks for that info jpet. I'm scheduled for service next month and I'll ask to have this done.

Reactions: Andyw2100

Thanks, jpet.

I'm going to copy what you posted was done for your car, and include it with the notes I'm sending along with my car on Monday. Perhaps they will finally resolve the issue for me.

Thanks again!

Reactions: jpet