Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My appointment was a total bust. Tesla changed things up a little and they had me drive a tech around to show the issue. Roads were wet and for some reason it was about 70 degrees at the time of the test. The car just wouldn't reproduce the shudder in the test drive.

The tech did know what I was talking about and believed me when I said it would still happen, but he didn't accept the car for the job at this time. He mentioned the car knows the roads are wet so it is pulling power a little, and therefore not causing the issue. I did have a few other issues on the ticket and they took care of those and sent me on my way about an hour later.

Tech did mention I shouldn't worry about it. That he knows of (and I know of) there have been no failures reported. He essentially mentioned I can ignore the issue for now since I had the new half shafts already. I'm kind of torn on how to deal with it but figured I'd live with it for a bit longer and see if it turns into an issue that happens all the time versus every once in a while...

So mine was in on Monday. Despite seeing this problem consistently prior to the appointment, after driving there neither the tech nor myself could replicate the issue. Their explanation was that the grease on the CV joints was probably cold when I was having the problem, and that me driving 40 mins to the SC was enough to warm it up. This does explain why I started getting this issue again in the colder weather. Not particularly happy that I have to put up with this in the colder months though.

So mine was in on Monday. Despite seeing this problem consistently prior to the appointment, after driving there neither the tech nor myself could replicate the issue. Their explanation was that the grease on the CV joints was probably cold when I was having the problem, and that me driving 40 mins to the SC was enough to warm it up. This does explain why I started getting this issue again in the colder weather. Not particularly happy that I have to put up with this in the colder months though.
I would be persistent. I had the same issue as last two posts, where I wasn't able to replicate the shudder at the service center, but it would happen during my daily drive to work routinely. I noticed a trend with temps as well, with the shudder being more prevalent in cold weather.

Might be worth taking video with phone if you have a spot where you know the shudder can be replicated and bring it in as evidence.

In my case, it took a few visits to service center, each time reminding them of the issue. A few weeks back I had car in for new tires and I once again complained about the shudder and they finally did the repair (free of charge under warranty). Car is so much more pleasant to drive now.

If the shudder is a problem, don't let fickle service center employees shut you down.

My appointment was a total bust. Tesla changed things up a little and they had me drive a tech around to show the issue. Roads were wet and for some reason it was about 70 degrees at the time of the test. The car just wouldn't reproduce the shudder in the test drive.

The tech did know what I was talking about and believed me when I said it would still happen, but he didn't accept the car for the job at this time. He mentioned the car knows the roads are wet so it is pulling power a little, and therefore not causing the issue. I did have a few other issues on the ticket and they took care of those and sent me on my way about an hour later.

Tech did mention I shouldn't worry about it. That he knows of (and I know of) there have been no failures reported. He essentially mentioned I can ignore the issue for now since I had the new half shafts already. I'm kind of torn on how to deal with it but figured I'd live with it for a bit longer and see if it turns into an issue that happens all the time versus every once in a while...
Go in a garage?

It is more hassle but drop the off the night before the next appointment. Check the weather forecast to make sure that it will be cold and dry.

• Informative
Reactions: nico180
Please let us know if/when you get the new Plaid vibration. I got that after I had mine 2019 Raven fixed. It is a vibration that is always there in the speed range 40-60 mph.
I have a 2021 Model S LR+ non refresh... not very impressive of the line now... is it possible that car was producing more torque to make up for the vibrations, and now that it has been corrected the torque has lessened?

Reactions: SnowFlyer
@kimvellore

I drive 200 miles a day and floor it off the line several times a day from a stand still. I’ve had the car 2 yrs and have 70k miles. I CAN physically tell the car is slower after the fix. The car smoothly accelerates vs instant torque. When I used to floor it I could literally hear the tires wanting to break free. Now they as quiet as can be when I launch.

So I looked it up and there are plenty of other owners who can tell the difference as well. This is not an isolated issue I am talking about.

Obviously they can change our maps to update everything, but reducing the torque/acceleration to protect a faulty design is not the same thing. One of the big selling features was the car doing 0-60 in under 3, and the passing power it had on the freeway. Now I doubt it gets to 60 in under 3.

This is no different than Tesla corking the acceleration several years ago when Performance models launched too many times. They eventually reversed the cork after much dissatisfaction from the owners, and allowed them to launch whenever they wanted.

Bottom line is it’s wrong of them to do.
Did you ever get a resolution? They are saying it “operating as normal”

have the shudder and confirmed by tesla they quoted me over 2500 for fix,
i've tried to get my service advisor to give $350 universal pricing on replacement of clevis mount and half shafts, showed him all the stuff from TMC. but wants to see an actual service invoice with payment they can't seem to find anything. It would be very helpful if anyone that has had i done for $350 could copy me your invoice or point me in a direction I can get an official tesla document showing $350. these guys aren't moving.

Last edited:
Well, the shudder has officially returned to my 2019 Raven Model S! I had the service bulletin fix performed in August of 2021, but I have not put that many miles on it since then. Super annoying, to say the least. I have about 4 months left on the warranty, but the car will have to go to Oahu to get fixed and that is a definite inconvenience. Crud...

SUCCESS! went to service center after showing your documents to sa he said they still weren't going to budge on over $2300 estimate. replied that last time i was in the sa told me to bring proof that this was the charge. finally got to speak to supervisor sa. showed the two different receipts one from canadien for $430 ca$ and one for $350. He finally relented and said it should have been honored as universal charge for service bulletin. So three trips and more than gentle pushing with the documents which obviously were from Tesla and have appt for two weeks from now to provide the service.
Thanks

View attachment 863533Just share this with them. Specifically the billing for SB-21-39-001 part.
Thank you @blodg1 this was very helpful. My original quote was over $2,100. I shared this image with them along with the guidance "I think the key is the code 1751594-00-A for the full parts set, which unlocks the favorable pricing."

They came back with a quote of around $400 ($350 for the part plus tax). They didn't charge labor (?!?). I approved the estimate.

Reactions: blodg1