Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In particular I noticed
This is exclusively an NVH issue and does not otherwise affect steering functionality, braking, or acceleration.
so presumably this isn't something I need to get fixed if it doesn't bother me? (NVH=noise, vibration, handling - I had to look it up) Watching TeslaBjorn's video on it, it's probably what I've written off in my mind as tire slippage. Personally I notice it most mornings as I merge from my neighborhood into the 60mph speed limit road leading to the highway, but I'm not really bugged by it. About the only reason I would bother taking the car in again (had two recent visits) is if not fixing it had an adverse affect on resale value or if it had an adverse affect on the car itself (or it bugged me :)

If you are some who rarely floors the accelerator (this would be me), is there any reason to have Tesla perform the newly discovered fix with revised clevis mount and half shafts? Long term, would these new parts provide any benefit to normal driving? Maybe resale value out of warranty?

I didn't even realize I had this issue until reading these threads and trying it on my own car, so I'm just trying to decide on whether its worth it to take it in.

Any thoughts?

In particular I noticed

so presumably this isn't something I need to get fixed if it doesn't bother me? (NVH=noise, vibration, handling - I had to look it up) Watching TeslaBjorn's video on it, it's probably what I've written off in my mind as tire slippage. Personally I notice it most mornings as I merge from my neighborhood into the 60mph speed limit road leading to the highway, but I'm not really bugged by it. About the only reason I would bother taking the car in again (had two recent visits) is if not fixing it had an adverse affect on resale value or if it had an adverse affect on the car itself (or it bugged me :)

I had also thought it was due to the tires. I'll have it looked at when I need to take it in.

When requesting this repair, do you need to go on test drive with the service tech to show them the problem? Or will they just go ahead and schedule the service since this affects virtually every car built in that period?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it will take to drop the car off, and if I need to plan on how to demonstrate the issue.

When requesting this repair, do you need to go on test drive with the service tech to show them the problem? Or will they just go ahead and schedule the service since this affects virtually every car built in that period?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it will take to drop the car off, and if I need to plan on how to demonstrate the issue.

The technician drove the car around for about 2 mins and said, "oh that needs to be fixed"... they will test it.

• Informative
Reactions: re04586
They want ~$2300 to do my X... had the shafts replaced once and even let them know it was coming back before the car went out of warranty..... trying just the clevis mount first based on recommendation from the SC. At least that is only $300

They want ~$2300 to do my X... had the shafts replaced once and even let them know it was coming back before the car went out of warranty..... trying just the clevis mount first based on recommendation from the SC. At least that is only $300
Tesla not fixing known design issues that cause repeated failures isn't a very customer friendly policy. We bit for the extended warranty for exactly that kind of issue. I hope they continue to honor it.
Good luck with the clevis mount fix, but I believe the half shafts are already damaged if you are getting the rattling sound.

Tesla not fixing known design issues that cause repeated failures isn't a very customer friendly policy. We bit for the extended warranty for exactly that kind of issue. I hope they continue to honor it.
Good luck with the clevis mount fix, but I believe the half shafts are already damaged if you are getting the rattling sound.
That's my thought too. There is a reason they are replacing the shafts.. I had the SC order all the parts just in case but am definitely not happy that a known and widespread issue with reported history is not being covered.