Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah the one thing that would hold the taycan back for me is the charging network. Once electrify America and ev-go have a good nationwide DC fast charge network it will be a viable option.
That’s not coming anytime soon. I live in MS. There’s no/nada/zero EA chargers anywhere in MS and per an email with them (can’t remember if it was EA or EV-go I emailed), none are planned soon.

They will build out the network where the cars are, in CA and other major metropolitan areas. True nationwide travel won’t be close to possible for years, and even then likely only along certain routes. Tesla has been building out their network since 2012/2013?

It’s still a mystery to me why other automakers won’t make nice and buy access to Tesla’s network. Until they do all they’re really doing is selling local-area EVs/NEVs

That’s not coming anytime soon. I live in MS. There’s no/nada/zero EA chargers anywhere in MS and per an email with them (can’t remember if it was EA or EV-go I emailed), none are planned soon.

They will build out the network where the cars are, in CA and other major metropolitan areas. True nationwide travel won’t be close to possible for years, and even then likely only along certain routes. Tesla has been building out their network since 2012/2013?

It’s still a mystery to me why other automakers won’t make nice and buy access to Tesla’s network. Until they do all they’re really doing is selling local-area EVs/NEVs

Yep, it's going to take time. But that timeframe will depend on how much demand there is. It's always what drives the market. Tesla built there's out so that you can drive nearly any route across the country in about 4-6 years. I think EA/VW and the rest between them could easily do the same. But until they do you're right, they just are not viable options if you need to make cross country treks.... But this is all way off topic...

Do wish someone had a good bit of mileage on this fix to see if it holds up.

Reactions: erik_k
Dropped my S off this morning to address this service bulletin. They said it would be several days before finished.
Wait times with Tesla do not indicate how long the service actually takes. I was in for a 1-2hr fix a couple of months ago, they took the car and told me it will up to a few days, because the car will sit on their lot waiting to get into the shop for the 1-2hr fix. The appointment was scheduled a month in advance, so it was not a "we'll fit you in when we can" emergency visit. The car was done the next day.

I did have an appointment but I hear what you're saying. It took them all day to install my Arachnids several months ago. I knew it would be a drop off and leave repair. I'm sure they will need to order parts.

Service center told me today this bulletin only applies to air suspension cars? The tech took the car out and felt it, said he was amazed because he's never heard of the issue on a regular coil car. They only want to replace the driveshaft.

The TSB doesn't mention air suspension at all. And the description of the problem: "Older versions of the Model S and Model X LH front drive unit clevis mount contain a bushing that allows the front drive unit to move side-to-side more than expected during hard accelerations, resulting in excessive vibrations coming from the front drive unit during hard acceleration."

So unless the coil cars had a different clevis mount then the TSB should apply to them too. (And the clevis mount is the cheapest and easiest part of the TSB.)

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I have my appointment for my Dec 2016 Model X P100DL+ with FSD on Monday at 1pm... I live 150 miles away, they said they had loaners available. They sent a 'quote' for $0 and will be replacing the following:

For the shudder:
Inspect Vehicle, Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And Both Front Halfshafts (Model X)

My MX won't go into 'park', unless I open the door!
Module - Steering Column Control (Remove & Replace)

I touch volume down on the screen and the volume keeps going down, even if I turn it up using the steering wheel control
Media Control Unit - Touch Screen (Remove & Replace)

Sadly, it doesn't look like I'm getting HW3 even though I paid for FSD.... stillllllllllllllll don't have the hardware for it.... boooooooooo.

Ben

So just like the yellow screen issues, is this one more of a not 'if' but 'when' problem? It would suck to get this happening outside of warranty when it is a known issue. And I am sure Tesla won't be doing this by owner request just because they ask as it looks like a lot of work.