Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@kimvellore

I drive 200 miles a day and floor it off the line several times a day from a stand still. I’ve had the car 2 yrs and have 70k miles. I CAN physically tell the car is slower after the fix. The car smoothly accelerates vs instant torque. When I used to floor it I could literally hear the tires wanting to break free. Now they as quiet as can be when I launch.

So I looked it up and there are plenty of other owners who can tell the difference as well. This is not an isolated issue I am talking about.

Obviously they can change our maps to update everything, but reducing the torque/acceleration to protect a faulty design is not the same thing. One of the big selling features was the car doing 0-60 in under 3, and the passing power it had on the freeway. Now I doubt it gets to 60 in under 3.

This is no different than Tesla corking the acceleration several years ago when Performance models launched too many times. They eventually reversed the cork after much dissatisfaction from the owners, and allowed them to launch whenever they wanted.

Bottom line is it’s wrong of them to do.

@kimvellore

I drive 200 miles a day and floor it off the line several times a day from a stand still. I’ve had the car 2 yrs and have 70k miles. I CAN physically tell the car is slower after the fix. The car smoothly accelerates vs instant torque. When I used to floor it I could literally hear the tires wanting to break free. Now they as quiet as can be when I launch.

So I looked it up and there are plenty of other owners who can tell the difference as well. This is not an isolated issue I am talking about.

Obviously they can change our maps to update everything, but reducing the torque/acceleration to protect a faulty design is not the same thing. One of the big selling features was the car doing 0-60 in under 3, and the passing power it had on the freeway. Now I doubt it gets to 60 in under 3.

This is no different than Tesla corking the acceleration several years ago when Performance models launched too many times. They eventually reversed the cork after much dissatisfaction from the owners, and allowed them to launch whenever they wanted.

Bottom line is it’s wrong of them to do.
Do you have same acceleration limit in Standard and in Low height?

I had this work done on my 2018 MS for the second time now. It was replaced in 2019 by the '-C' part numbers and now I have the '-D'.
I was wondering if anyone has had this repair done with the D parts and gotten the issue back. Or is this D revision now finally a permanent fix?

My fix in 2019 was done in June, days before the SB came out. But the shudder came back within 4 or 5 months and I don't drive like a mad man.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I had this work done on my 2018 MS for the second time now. It was replaced in 2019 by the '-C' part numbers and now I have the '-D'.
I was wondering if anyone has had this repair done with the D parts and gotten the issue back. Or is this D revision now finally a permanent fix?

My fix in 2019 was done in June, days before the SB came out. But the shudder came back within 4 or 5 months and I don't drive like a mad man.

I had mine replaced in dec 2019 with the D parts. Almost 7 months and MANY off the line take and we’re still good!!

Hopefully, the D revision will fix this for good... That's the part they used when I had this issue resolved under warranty.

Many of us paid extra for the Performance version to enjoy the occasional launch.

I mean otherwise what on earth is the purpose of that extra $20K+ expense.

I really hope going forward they figure this out (if they haven't alreayd) and don't try to drag their feet claiming the shudder is normal, "wear and tear," or some other nonsense. Basically you should be able to enjoy the performance of your car, including occasional launches, for the duration of the warranty plus ESA without additional expense or hassle for warranty claims.

To their credit, when I brought my car in for this issue and showed them the Service Bulletin, it was fixed without any issue. God forbid this issue returns, I expect them to fix it without any attempt to pretend like this is not a warranty issue.

It's good that this part has now been revised 4 times with the D Revision and I have faith that Tesla Engineering has now solved this issue.

Hopefully, the D revision will fix this for good... That's the part they used when I had this issue resolved under warranty.

Many of us paid extra for the Performance version to enjoy the occasional launch.

I mean otherwise what on earth is the purpose of that extra $20K+ expense.

I really hope going forward they figure this out (if they haven't alreayd) and don't try to drag their feet claiming the shudder is normal, "wear and tear," or some other nonsense. Basically you should be able to enjoy the performance of your car, including occasional launches, for the duration of the warranty plus ESA without additional expense or hassle for warranty claims.

To their credit, when I brought my car in for this issue and showed them the Service Bulletin, it was fixed without any issue. God forbid this issue returns, I expect them to fix it without any attempt to pretend like this is not a warranty issue.

It's good that this part has now been revised 4 times with the D Revision and I have faith that Tesla Engineering has now solved this issue.
“Occasional...yes that’s what it is...ha ha ha

when mine was in being fixed I had a 75d that hadn’t been uncorked because it was a loaner. It also had the shudder. The shudder isn’t exclusive to the perf variants. It’s the dual motor variants. Can happen to any of them. The tech I talked to he said that more people with the perf do hard accelerations than non perfs but he said he’d fixed at least a few of every D model.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
my acceleration/torque has been limited

I actually think @ReGenesis is onto something here. Hear me out....

2016 MX P100DL
August 24, 2019 - take the car to the dragstrip on my 22" wheels car runs 11.30 @ 118mph
November 26, 2019 - halfshafts replaced for shuddering BAD
June 20, 2020 - take the car to the dragstrip on my 20" wheels can runs 12.10 @ 110mph

When racing both times, Launch mode was active and used with zero tire spin. State of charge was mid 90% every time. Ludicrous+ mode was enabled and batteries were warmed. Suspension was set to LOW.

I have been beating myself up all week over this. The ONLY difference is the 22s vs the 20s. The overall height is within ¼" of the same diameter. I will put the 22s back on it and race again when the track is open. But I seriously think Tesla limited power delivery when they did the halfshafts without telling us.

• Love
Reactions: Kacey Green
This is encouraging as our Raven S is at the SC today to receive new half-shafts for the second time. The parts ordered are 'D' revisions:

Parts Received
  1. FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, RH, PM
    Part #: 1138042-00-B
    Delivered: September 15, 2020
  2. FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, LH, PM
    Part #: 1138040-00-B
    Delivered: September 15, 2020

Back in December 2019 I received different 'D' and 'B' parts and the shudder returned by March 2020:

Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (2nd Generation) (Remove and
Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALFSHAFT, FR, LH, MODEL S HPDM(1030615-00-D) 1.0
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (1st Generation) (Remove and
Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALFSHAFT, FR, RH, MODEL S HPDM(1030616-00-B) 1.0

So my pre-raven P85D shudder was not actually fixed at 70K miles which is the 4th time I had the half shafts replaced(not the current redesign for pre-raven that came out about a month after my last replacement set).

After my last replacement at 70K miles (currently at 115K), I drove home and lowered the car by 1" to the original height the S was delivered with before the raised all S's with smart suspension by 1" in 2014 to lessen battery strike damge.

This weekend, I had my suspension set on high and accelerated hard (first time I screwed that up ever since the last replacement set). The shudder was clearly present. Maximum height on my car is equivalent to the old normal height before I lowered the car.

I lowered the car back down to lowest and tried again and no shudder at all.

So it turns out it was really my lowering it by 1" that keeps it from happening at all on the normal or low setting. I didn't just get lucky the last replacement set.

Since I'm not likely to ever raise the car back up again, I'm fine leaving it as is even though Tesla has told me in an email I can get the replacement shafts free of charge any time I like.

So my pre-raven P85D shudder was not actually fixed at 70K miles which is the 4th time I had the half shafts replaced(not the current redesign for pre-raven that came out about a month after my last replacement set).

After my last replacement at 70K miles (currently at 115K), I drove home and lowered the car by 1" to the original height the S was delivered with before the raised all S's with smart suspension by 1" in 2014 to lessen battery strike damge.

This weekend, I had my suspension set on high and accelerated hard (first time I screwed that up ever since the last replacement set). The shudder was clearly present. Maximum height on my car is equivalent to the old normal height before I lowered the car.

So it turns out it was really my lowering it by 1" that keeps it from happening at all on the normal or low setting. I didn't just get lucky the last replacement set.

Since I'm not likely to ever raise the car back up again, I'm fine leaving it as is even though Tesla has told me in an email I can get the replacement shafts free of charge any time I like.

Be SURE to not delete that email. (Heck, I'd even print it out and make a half-dozen copies, just to be safe:)

• Love
Reactions: SO16

I have the shudder on my 2017 S90D set at normal height. When I brought it in in March for a windshield replacement, they said they couldn’t replicate it unless on high (which they say is “normal”) but I couldn’t take them for a test drive. Next time I bring it in, I will show them.

My 09/19 standard range raven has had a persistent shudder and grind noise since about a month after I bought it. It only happens under hard acceleration at all suspension heights. SC has twice told me the problem doesn't exist on raven models and that my wheel is out of balance. Since the problem started I've replaced the tires and had the new ones balanced twice. I can't bring myself to pay Tesla $100 to balance the wheel when Discount does it for free... Of course Tesla SC also claims that Discount doesn't know how to balances Tesla wheels. Is there something special about their wheels or the car that makes it different? Should I just let them do it? I suppose if they're right the problem is solved and if not I've proven that it isn't a balance issue.