Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has resolved mine on my Model S Performance. I've only put 500 or so miles, but probably 30 hard launches, and no clatter/shudder.

@RiknChar, how are you doing, my friend? Looks like @serendipitous has a better answer above regarding the latest halfshafts.

It has been about 1300 miles for me and no noticeable shudder yet, but I haven't done any hard launches yet. I wanted to break the new half-shafts in a little bit more before putting them to the real test. I have driven spirtedly a few times but no full launches from stop yet. The SC reminded me to try and stay in Low suspension setting to align the half-shafts when I plan to do hard launches, but that's what I did in the past too and that didn't prevent shudder. We will see about this new set.

On a separate note, the mobile ranger also came and replaced both headlights due to corners of the DRL burning out. How have yours held up?

SmartSelect_20201112-070853_Gallery.jpg

@RiknChar, how are you doing, my friend? Looks like @serendipitous has a better answer above regarding the latest halfshafts.

It has been about 1300 miles for me and no noticeable shudder yet, but I haven't done any hard launches yet. I wanted to break the new half-shafts in a little bit more before putting them to the real test. I have driven spirtedly a few times but no full launches from stop yet. The SC reminded me to try and stay in Low suspension setting to align the half-shafts when I plan to do hard launches, but that's what I did in the past too and that didn't prevent shudder. We will see about this new set.

On a separate note, the mobile ranger also came and replaced both headlights due to corners of the DRL burning out. How have yours held up?

View attachment 607667

I'm doing great, FatherTo1! Loving my Model S and having no real regrets on switching from my old Lexus LS600hL. For me, it's really about the unbeatable drivetrain and constantly updating technology that has kept me happy with the Model S... I sprung for the FSD back when it was $7k, and am enjoying watching the progress towards the release of the FSD Beta that I'm hoping I'll see in the next few months.

I haven't noticed any changes to the corners of my DLRs, but I haven't really looked. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that issue!

I only have 6,500 miles on my MS, and I am pampering it the way I did my Lexus (lots of car washes, waxes, vacuuming, etc,), so it really still looks brand new, and will stay like this for a LONG time.

Reactions: FatherTo1
It has resolved mine on my Model S Performance. I've only put 500 or so miles, but probably 30 hard launches, and no clatter/shudder.

Thanks serendipitous! I'm going to ask that these latest half shafts be installed on my car. I really don't drive my car particularly "hard," but I do find myself accelerating much more quickly from stop lights than I ever used to do with my old Lexus LS, and it bugs me to hear any signs of NVH in such an otherwise terrific car.

Which DFW Service Center did you visit? I'm hearing the shudder at under 4k miles ('19 MS Perf, mid-year production), but only at WOT which isn't for too long on a Performance--"go to jail" speeds take mere seconds....

I went to the Plano service center. Initially, I had the same symptoms on my LR. Only heard it when I had the hammer down. Now, I hear with more modest acceleration. I also tend to hear it more in the morning when it's cold.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
It's a shame Tesla has such a hostile attitude towards the aftermarket. This kind of thing has been going on for decades with cars, OEM has a weakness somewhere in their performance cars and the aftermarket comes out with a solution, nobody seems to want to go near Tesla's.

It's a shame Tesla has such a hostile attitude towards the aftermarket. This kind of thing has been going on for decades with cars, OEM has a weakness somewhere in their performance cars and the aftermarket comes out with a solution, nobody seems to want to go near Tesla's.

EV Tuning has after-market parts, but I don't know if they are designed to resolve this issue: Model S Axles

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Gwgan and P100D_Me
Nice to see, I wonder how Tesla would view such things being fitted though? They'd probably cut your Supercharging privileges :rolleyes:
I remember back in the 80's the old F-body GM cars (Camaro, Firebird) suffered terrible rear axle tramp under heavy load, all solvable with non GM parts and GM never fixed the design issue themselves (kind of like the Tesla door handles).

View attachment 607667

Yes, apparently nearly all of a certain batch of headlights will fail prematurely in this manner.

Both headlights on our 2019 MS were replaced within the first month or so, obviously under warranty.

Just got mine back from service (2020 lr raven)
They indeed replaced the half shafts with the B parts

Tried a few hard launches and no rattling. Car almost feels faster! Lol

Fingers crossed

Were these the same half-shaft part numbers you had installed?

Parts Received
  1. FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, RH, PM
    Part #: 1138042-00-B
    Delivered: September 15, 2020
  2. FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, LH, PM
    Part #: 1138040-00-B
    Delivered: September 15, 2020

Dropping my S+P '19 Raven off in two hours for the half shaft fix as well as a few other things. More than a little miffed that I will have two provide my own rental car as Uber doesn't have drivers for my daily commute. I have rescheduled twice due to loaner car availability and got this txt last night saying

"Hello ,This is Tesla Decatur sending out a quick notice that we are currently out of available Tesla loaner vehicles. We do have the ability to either provide you with an Uber Voucher throughout the duration of your service repairs however if do not want that option we encourage you to have someone pick you up from the service center following your vehicle drop off. We apologize for the inconvenience as we currently have high volume in repairs constraining the availability of loaner vehicles. We understand if you would prefer to reschedule for another day however if you are able to work with Uber as transportation we are more than happy to assist you with your appointment for Monday. Have a great evening!"

Since our first S in 2015 and 4 Teslas later...service has really taken a dive. In the past we have been given a rental car when loaner inventory was gone but the Uber voucher system won't work for some of us.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I convinced the local Tesla Service Center to update my Half-Shafts with the latest version last week, after experiencing the clattering sound under heavy acceleration since I picked up my car in March (2020 LR Raven). They had initially said my car already had the latest half-shaft revision, and that they didn't want to simply replace the old defective ones with the same new ones. I think there are newer ones out now, though, and they agreed to replace them.

Anyway, the new half-shafts seem to have solved my clattering noise (so far), and my car is back to being perfect! I really very seldom fully "launch" my Model S, so I don't expect that the problem will come back anytime soon, but I do like to accelerate quickly and smoothly away from stops (half-throttle). I also decided to leave my car's suspension in the Low setting to help align the drive train for those times when I do punch it.

My car was a demo model that had 600 miles on it when I bought it, so I'm sure it endured a lot of full-throttle launches before I got it, which I'm sure contributed to the clattering...

The only downside of my recent service visit is that I received a 2020 Model Y as the loaner car, and when my wife saw it she decided she would rather have the Model Y than her current Model 3... So I'll be picking up a new 2021 Model Y next week and dropping off our Model 3... DOH! On the bright side, the Model 3 held it's value incredibly well, so the pain of trading actually wasn't all that bad. And I know the Model Y will be a better fit for my wife...

I convinced the local Tesla Service Center to update my Half-Shafts with the latest version last week, after experiencing the clattering sound under heavy acceleration since I picked up my car in March (2020 LR Raven). They had initially said my car already had the latest half-shaft revision, and that they didn't want to simply replace the old defective ones with the same new ones. I think there are newer ones out now, though, and they agreed to replace them.

Anyway, the new half-shafts seem to have solved my clattering noise (so far), and my car is back to being perfect! I really very seldom fully "launch" my Model S, so I don't expect that the problem will come back anytime soon, but I do like to accelerate quickly and smoothly away from stops (half-throttle). I also decided to leave my car's suspension in the Low setting to help align the drive train for those times when I do punch it.

My car was a demo model that had 600 miles on it when I bought it, so I'm sure it endured a lot of full-throttle launches before I got it, which I'm sure contributed to the clattering...

The only downside of my recent service visit is that I received a 2020 Model Y as the loaner car, and when my wife saw it she decided she would rather have the Model Y than her current Model 3... So I'll be picking up a new 2021 Model Y next week and dropping off our Model 3... DOH! On the bright side, the Model 3 held it's value incredibly well, so the pain of trading actually wasn't all that bad. And I know the Model Y will be a better fit for my wife...

Thanks for the informative write up.

Could you please post all of your new part numbers? Our '19 MS Perf Raven is going in next week and want to be sure we're getting the entire new package of part numbers as well.

Thanks, again!

Reactions: Sfallert
Sorry for my delayed response, TSLA Pilot!

Here are the parts that were installed on my Tesla last month that seemed to solve my clattering problem:

Parts Ordered
  1. FRONT HALF SHAFT, MODEL S, LH, PM
    Order Date: November 16, 2020
  2. FRONT HALF SHAFT, MODEL S, RH, PM

Sorry for my delayed response, TSLA Pilot!

Here are the parts that were installed on my Tesla last month that seemed to solve my clattering problem:

Parts Ordered
  1. FRONT HALF SHAFT, MODEL S, LH, PM
  2. FRONT HALF SHAFT, MODEL S, RH, PM
Thanks!

It’s been several weeks now and still no word from the FW Service Center on if they even have the parts in stock—really frustrating as each visit is another Uber hassle and I’d prefer to just keep this at ONE visit by having the parts in stock; we’ll see how it goes....