Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was one from June 2019 and then it was updated Dec 2019. The halfshaft part numbers are the same in both.
Looks like the only update is the addition of one locating shim tool.
Yeah, failure to use the shim can result in your front motor shearing off its bolts and jumping into the EPAS, causing sudden loss of power steering.

Ask me how I know...

Oh, that stinks. No way to objectively measure power?

That said, this issue seems to plague all Model S versions, not just performance.
I took my P100D Model X to the track pre and post fix and it was drastically slower post fix. Same track, same SoC, same launch mode. Only difference was 20s vs 22s. I will go back again with 22s and see what it runs in a few weeks

Has anyone who got them replaced noticed increased "motor whine" sound?

I recently got mine replaced and it seems like I can hear the electric motor more than before the fix. It's cool when you punch it and it sounds like a spaceship taking off, but when just driving normally or through a neighborhood it wasn't as audible before. Shudder is gone though and feels like more power for my MS90D but could have just been that I haven't driven her in a few days.

I recently got mine replaced and it seems like I can hear the electric motor more than before the fix. It's cool when you punch it and it sounds like a spaceship taking off, but when just driving normally or through a neighborhood it wasn't as audible before. Shudder is gone though and feels like more power for my MS90D but could have just been that I haven't driven her in a few days.
Pat numbers on the new parts please—our local SC won’t do anything to fix our two MS Perfs stating “the new part number parts were what your cars were built with....”

I guess that’s a way to shorten the queue for service!

Yes - it's a lower pitched whine than I would have expected, but my shudder was replaced with a more consistent low frequency noise. I don't feel anything, so I guess it's better.

Yes - it's a lower pitched whine than I would have expected, but my shudder was replaced with a more consistent low frequency noise. I don't feel anything, so I guess it's better.
Any new part numbers to help us all out please?

I ask as our local SC won't bother to do anything to address our "death rattle" until there are new part numbers . . . which is quite amazing, really.

Thanks in advance.

My MX half shafts (Sept 018 MX Raven) were replaced for the second time last month at the new Delray Beach service center by a tech who has been with Tesla since 2013. My car has 24 K miles, and had the first set replaced at 10k miles. Both times it was due to the dreaded shudder on acceleration. Non-P car. He claimed the answer is coming with the updated cars - that the Plaid (not +) will have a new half shaft design that is backward compatible to our cars that can handle the weight. He said that Tesla's entire problem n this respect is heavy cars, so the MX brought out the problem. I have an issue with this explanation given that I don't drive my MX hard had like I did my former P85D (doesn't even have 'launch'), which never had this, but he says it is because the MX is heavier. I guess that all we can do is wait. Three weeks into the third set, I detect some wobble/shudder already. Poor design.

There was one from June 2019 and then it was updated Dec 2019. The halfshaft part numbers are the same in both.
Looks like the only update is the addition of one locating shim tool.
This SB looks like it concerns pre-raven versions. I just spoke to SC in Stockholm and they informed me that permanent fix for Raven is still under development. Does anyone else have different experiences?

2021 MS (old style) Picked up late Nov 2020. Had service install:

FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, LH, PM
Part #: 1138040-00-B

FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, RH, PM
Part #: 1138042-00-B

2021 MS (old style) Picked up late Nov 2020. Had service install:

FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, LH, PM

FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, RH, PM

1,500 miles and rattle is right back.
Hard to believe this is still an issue.

What does it take to get Tesla to step up and fix this problem?

It's unsat for any new car, let alone at the price point we're at with our Model S's and X's . . . .

Come on Elon, please get on this.

Thx.

Took delivery of a new MS in November 2019 and noticed the problem within the first couple of months. Had the half shafts replaced and the car seemed ok for a while but then noticed the vibration getting worse again over the last couple of months. SC replaced the half shafts for a 2nd time last week. The day after I picked the car up, I drove 200 miles across into Eastern WA and all seemed well until I left work yesterday. I pulled out the parking lot and immediately heard a very loud clunk from the front of the car, with immediate multiple error messages including PMS_f004/PMS_f064/PMS_f003 Front Motor Disabled and DI_w063 Vehicle Shutting Down.

Car is scheduled to be picked up and taken to Spokane SC this morning where I guess I'll find out more in the coming days, but suffice to say that this coupled with all the wiring harness and AC issues I've had with the car, I'm not happy and am now actively looking at ways to off load the car.

Took delivery of a new MS in November 2019 and noticed the problem within the first couple of months. Had the half shafts replaced and the car seemed ok for a while but then noticed the vibration getting worse again over the last couple of months. SC replaced the half shafts for a 2nd time last week. The day after I picked the car up, I drove 200 miles across into Eastern WA and all seemed well until I left work yesterday. I pulled out the parking lot and immediately heard a very loud clunk from the front of the car, with immediate multiple error messages including PMS_f004/PMS_f064/PMS_f003 Front Motor Disabled and DI_w063 Vehicle Shutting Down.

Car is scheduled to be picked up and taken to Spokane SC this morning where I guess I'll find out more in the coming days, but suffice to say that this coupled with all the wiring harness and AC issues I've had with the car, I'm not happy and am now actively looking at ways to off load the car.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Sounds painful. Let us know what service center finds and if it's related to the half shaft repairs. Also, the second time replacing half shafts, did they offer newer revision parts? Or is it another example of installing the same faulty versions and crossing fingers?

The following parts have been ordered to try and fix my problem:-
  • ASY, DRIVE UNIT, RAVEN, MS
    Part #: 1478000-00-D
    Order Date: April 19, 2021
  • FRONT HALF SHAFT, MODEL S, LH, PM
  • FRONT HALF SHAFT, MODEL S, RH, PM

Half shafts for the 3rd time, but also a new Drive Unit this time as well so hopefully this will fix the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail