Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI All - newbie alert!! Just got my 75d Tesla X which is impressive. I have noticed this shudder myself - does anyone know if this is covered under any warranty?
If your car is still under warranty, then yes, this repair (if it is the issue) will be covered under warranty. This is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and not a recall. So if you are not still under the manufacturer warranty period the the repair would not be covered.

Reactions: serendipitous
If your car is still under warranty, then yes, this repair (if it is the issue) will be covered under warranty. This is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and not a recall. So if you are not still under the manufacturer warranty period the the repair would not be covered.
And also, even though you might think the axles are part of the longer battery and drive unit warranty, they are not. It's literally a "drive unit" warranty, not a powertrain warranty.

Thanks for your replies. I had an appointment yesterday at our local Tesla dealer and I must say the service was disgraceful. The place was chaos I waited nearly an hour after my appointment before the technician to came for a test drive just to confirm what everybody knows is the issue. Control arm and half drive shafts need replacing on a car that's three years old albeit does have 58,000 miles so technically out of warranty. My discussion with them was how can a known issue be chargeable on a car which is only 40 months old? I have a friend who is a barrister who has advised me to go down the not fit for purpose warranty route? Has anybody else had any luck with this as I really don't want to spend £2800 on a car I've only owned for two weeks!

Thanks for your replies. I had an appointment yesterday at our local Tesla dealer and I must say the service was disgraceful. The place was chaos I waited nearly an hour after my appointment before the technician to came for a test drive just to confirm what everybody knows is the issue. Control arm and half drive shafts need replacing on a car that's three years old albeit does have 58,000 miles so technically out of warranty. My discussion with them was how can a known issue be chargeable on a car which is only 40 months old? I have a friend who is a barrister who has advised me to go down the not fit for purpose warranty route? Has anybody else had any luck with this as I really don't want to spend £2800 on a car I've only owned for two weeks!
The control arms are not part of this shudder service bulletin.
Do you have a written quote you could post? Two halfshafts, a clevis and a little labour should definitely not add up to 2800 pounds, unless that includes both control arms, and something else.
A few posts back someone paid about $700 US or 515 pounds.

Now that I have been driving the car again for the last 2 months, I can report that although the original "shudder" is no more, something else is going on. Occasionally during acceleration, ANY acceleration (not just hard), I can feel a "roughness" through the steering wheel. It isn't what I would call a shudder, but more like some kind of added friction. I can't predict when it will happen, but it seems to be about half of the time. Not nearly as annoying as the original shudder, but still annoying. Oh well... I sure as heck am not sending it back to Oahu again, so I'm just going to live with it - at least for now.

Took delivery of a new MS in November 2019 and noticed the problem within the first couple of months. Had the half shafts replaced and the car seemed ok for a while but then noticed the vibration getting worse again over the last couple of months. SC replaced the half shafts for a 2nd time last week. The day after I picked the car up, I drove 200 miles across into Eastern WA and all seemed well until I left work yesterday. I pulled out the parking lot and immediately heard a very loud clunk from the front of the car, with immediate multiple error messages including PMS_f004/PMS_f064/PMS_f003 Front Motor Disabled and DI_w063 Vehicle Shutting Down.
I just picked my car up after having half shafts replaced. Shutter had gotten progressively worse to where it happened even during moderate acceleration. Anyhow, very similar problem to this post. Pulled out of the parking lot, stopped at a stop sign, and as soon as I pressed the accelerator to turn left - "BAMM!" - some loud clank from the front of the car. Got a bunch of errors. Went around the block and pulled right back into the service center.

This morning they called me say the spline between the half shaft (why isn't it called a split axle?) and the drive unit didn't mesh properly and ruined the drive unit! So they're replacing the whole thing, and I have a loaner, but they said it's going to be a week to get the parts. Hope it actually gets fixed :oops:

I'll just throw myself into the mix now. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment for next week. Looks like it will be a little over $1500 in the estimate. Got a 3rd party warranty that will expire soon, so I need to get it done. Hoping based on the feedback of others that this will be a good permanent fix.

I'll just throw myself into the mix now. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment for next week. Looks like it will be a little over $1500 in the estimate. Got a 3rd party warranty that will expire soon, so I need to get it done. Hoping based on the feedback of others that this will be a good permanent fix.
Please let us know how it goes with the 3rd Party Warranty.

ive recently replaced both half shafts on my 2019 model X, this was the 3rd and likely the final time, It was still under warranty. I ordered N2itive package and had it installed by EVfixMe in Costa Mesa. for a few months there were zero shuddering noise and vibration on acceleration. Lowering it is supposed to help alleviate the issue too. So with new mods and half shafts I was satisfied until about 3 weeks ago when I could feel a vibration on moderate acceleration through the pedal. it also sounds like a minor issue of rubbing or friction that somewhat feels like the speed is being reduced. I have been doing test on the freeway and have eliminated the possibility of road conditions, because regardless of where and when I acceleration, the distinction appears. I left a voicemail for Tony and EVfixMe and hope to hear back soon.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Car went in on 7/12 and I got it back today 7/13. Quick service. I was almost thinking they just let the car sit over night and charge me for the work, but quick image behind the wheel at least shows a clean new looking half shaft.

Not sure if it really feels better. It is well over 100F degrees here in TX so the issue was actually hard to produce the last few days. I did a few quick accelerations on the way home and it felt fine to me. I think the real test will come when it cools down into the 80s or 70s.

As for the 3rd party warranty - well - still working on it. Tesla delayed and delayed the service and didn't take the car till 7/12. The warranty expired on 7/11. They said they would cover the repair, so I submitted the paperwork. I am hopeful this will play out in my favor.

Part numbers that matter (per invoice):
FRONT RIGHT HALF SHAFT - DUAL MOTOR(1030616-00-D)
HALFSHAFT ASSEMBLY, FRONT, SMALL DRIVE UNIT, LEFT HAND SIDE(1626637-00-A) - I think that is the new Raven motor part number... Not sure why they put it instead of the old Dual motor revised part.

Anyways - I'll update every once in a while on how it is performing.
1657754863049.png

My June, 2020 S has recently been having acceleration shudder. Since it is not disabling, I guess I'll see if it gets worse over the next year or two before warranty runs out. Interesting my year is not covered by the Bulletin.

Last edited:
Just a little update.

The car feels better than before. I think there were a few squeaks that would be noticeable at slow speeds, and I was surprised those are now gone. Still got smooth accelerations too.

Anyways - the real reason I'm adding this post is to let @Nosken know that 3rd party warranty did come through. I got a check today for the full repair minus the deductible. The fun part is (aside from battery and motor) I will be the warranty going forward....