Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I have been driving the car again for the last 2 months, I can report that although the original "shudder" is no more, something else is going on. Occasionally during acceleration, ANY acceleration (not just hard), I can feel a "roughness" through the steering wheel. It isn't what I would call a shudder, but more like some kind of added friction. I can't predict when it will happen, but it seems to be about half of the time. Not nearly as annoying as the original shudder, but still annoying. Oh well... I sure as heck am not sending it back to Oahu again, so I'm just going to live with it - at least for now.
I have the exact same. Like a humming/vibration. Most noticable on good roads, but still very annoying. Anyone who got this fixed? I am taking my car in for this tomorrow. I highly doubt they will fix it though..

• Informative
Reactions: Polly Wog
I have the exact same. Like a humming/vibration. Most noticable on good roads, but still very annoying. Anyone who got this fixed? I am taking my car in for this tomorrow. I highly doubt they will fix it though..
I was just about to find this thread and post this, and you posted this which made it easy :) I’m getting this shudder fixed, as my car is at service for a while and I need an axle seal anyway. here is the quote in CDN. Add your appropriate taxes on top of this.
89B0BC49-0B88-4E07-967E-263E0E60583F.png

Found a later version of the TSB dated Dec 2021 also including updated parts information for the clevis replacement. I thought it odd that battery bolts were included in the estimate.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10208328-9999.pdf

Has anyone read the half shaft break in procedure? Egads.

Halfshaft Break-in and Test Drive NOTE: Newly installed halfshafts might generate excessive NVH (scraping/rattling noises and excess vibrations) until properly broken in. Do not return the vehicle to the customer until the halfshafts have been broken in.

1. Perform halfshaft break-in: a. Charge the vehicle HV Battery to at least 70%. b. On the vehicle touchscreen, select Driving > Acceleration > Standard or Sport c. At 100% throttle, accelerate from 0 mph to 50 mph (80 kph) 2–6 times. When the halfshafts cease to scrape, rattle, or vibrate excessively, skip to the next step. WARNING: Comply with all local traffic safety laws. Only perform such maneuvers in a suitable location such as a large empty, parking lot or nonresidential side street with no traffic.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Holy hell! You may want to dig into that a bit more. I took my car into the local Service Center for shudder in a 2017 P100DL and the fella went for a ride and said...

Him: Yep, that's a half shaft for sure. We now charge a flat $350 to repair that and have parts in stock.
Me: does that replace both half-shafts?
Him: Yep, it's $350 as a blanket charge and then we address all parts associated with fixing that sound.

Sure enough, I got a call later that day and it was fixed and the cost was about tree-fiddy and included half-shafts, clevis mounts, everything in that chain basically. If you're being quoted $2,421 that's a big discrepancy from what I paid, even accounting for the USD/CAD conversion rate.

Holy hell! You may want to dig into that a bit more. I took my car into the local Service Center for shudder in a 2017 P100DL and the fella went for a ride and said...

Him: Yep, that's a half shaft for sure. We now charge a flat $350 to repair that and have parts in stock.
Me: does that replace both half-shafts?
Him: Yep, it's $350 as a blanket charge and then we address all parts associated with fixing that sound.

Sure enough, I got a call later that day and it was fixed and the cost was about tree-fiddy and included half-shafts, clevis mounts, everything in that chain basically. If you're being quoted $2,421 that's a big discrepancy from what I paid, even accounting for the USD/CAD conversion rate.
Outside of warranty you paid that?

Outside of warranty you paid that?
Yes outside of warranty and yes that was my final price. Can't remember if there was tax or not (like a month or two ago) so that's why I say right about tree-fiddy. I've had this same car in twice now for front suspension-related repairs (first one was more like $1,300) and are slowly restoring my faith in Tesla's Service Centers. My past experiences are as numerous as they are unbelievably bad so I can't quite endorse them but... they're on the right track. At least the local one with the issues I've presented recently. They've taken a few steps forward at the local shop which is new but still a step back (no loners OR ride share credits now? C'mon Tesla!) but I guess it's forward progress overall. Still a looooong ways to go before I tell people I run into that Tesla's service is solid.

My quote/actual repair was about $1500. I think the price of the repair changed a bit in the last 5 years.
FWIW, my service advisor insinuated that this was a newer blanket charge for this specific problem. It made me believe that maybe Tesla is going to issue some sort of recall or something on this specific issue. I have nothing to go on other than how common this issue has been and a hunch so don't quote me but I'm keeping my receipt for potential reimbursement if that should ever happen in the future.

Reactions: Huachipato
I’m so confused why anyone is having to pay for the repairs for this when a TSB was issued which means tesla is on the hook to replace them for free.
TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin and doesn't necessarily mean it's a free repair. TSB's are created for the service tech to perform the proper solution process for known common issues.

In summary, a TSB can be free but isn't always free.

It could also be that Tesla determines (sometimes with pressure from 3rd parties) to either issue a full recall (which would be free and trigger compulsory refunds for those that have paid for repairs already) if it's a safety issue or quietly reimburse folks behind the scenes if it becomes common enough.

To the best of my knowledge on this particular topic, neither of those has been triggered by tesla.

I just had the clevis and half shafts replaced on my 2014 last week. The initial estimate was $2300 then I pressed the advisor on the $350 fix. He spoke to another SA who showed him how to properly associate the discounted correction code. Final total was $350 plus tax.
Please please please post an estimate or an invoice for this.

• Love
Reactions: SO16