Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What year car was that on? I'm fighting with the SC now on this. They want to charge $850
Per his signature:

Multi-coat Red 9/26/2014 P85 AP1 MCU2, Monterey Blue 12/16/2014 P85DL+ AP1 MCU2

I don't suppose anyone can access this billing article from toolbox to see what it says?

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 5.38.26 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 5.38.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 5.38.26 AM.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: whitex
I would think the main culprit is the mount on cars that haven't hammered the F out of the CV joints (frequent aggressive acceleration or high mileage) and that it could be changed by simply supporting the drive unit, assuming you can get at it.
Fail to see how thats true when multiple ppl reported mount didn't do anything or issue came back later with new mount...
Plus its been confirmed that its the angle of the shafts, hence going in low helps reduce it

Then it's two separate issues. Here's what they did at service senter when it was fixed on my P85DL.
i wonder how could they determine half shafts out of balance?

Just swapping the clevis mount will keep the half shafts from failing as it is the root cause, but if your half shafts have already started to fail, they will still need to be replaced. They may just not get any worse.
not true, see above

I actually think @ReGenesis is onto something here. Hear me out....

2016 MX P100DL
August 24, 2019 - take the car to the dragstrip on my 22" wheels car runs 11.30 @ 118mph
November 26, 2019 - halfshafts replaced for shuddering BAD
June 20, 2020 - take the car to the dragstrip on my 20" wheels can runs 12.10 @ 110mph
not a very conclusive evidence with 10 mo gap...

My 09/19 standard range raven has had a persistent shudder and grind noise since about a month after I bought it. It only happens under hard acceleration at all suspension heights. SC has twice told me the problem doesn't exist on raven models and that my wheel is out of balance. Since the problem started I've replaced the tires and had the new ones balanced twice. I can't bring myself to pay Tesla $100 to balance the wheel when Discount does it for free... Of course Tesla SC also claims that Discount doesn't know how to balances Tesla wheels. Is there something special about their wheels or the car that makes it different? Should I just let them do it? I suppose if they're right the problem is solved and if not I've proven that it isn't a balance issue.
Thats BS lol nothing is special about Tesla wheels...

Yeah, failure to use the shim can result in your front motor shearing off its bolts and jumping into the EPAS, causing sudden loss of power steering.

Ask me how I know...
How? :)
I fail to see how its possible. Mind giving more details? which bolts?

It is rare to hear good stories about extended warranties. If you are comfortable listing the name, it might be beneficial to all of us?

Axiom was the 3rd party warranty I used.

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail
It was completed in July. My 3rd party warranty paid me back (so not the doom and gloom it may have otherwise been) but for some reason it still kind of stings...
I had my third headlight replaced on my Model S due to the DRL not working. Apparently there is a reduced fee of $750,- for those headlights. Originally they were about $1300,-.

My third party warranty was still charged $1300,- while others got them for $750,-. Seems like Tesla is charging the full amount to insurers.

Except if someone reported it during the warranty period before Tesla service was made aware of this, they would have been told "normal behavior". So taking their sweet time finding the fix while cars fall out of warranty paid off for Tesla.
this. I was told this is normal behavior due to air suspension ride height adjustment during acceleration. Now that I'm out of warranty, of course it's no longer normal and there's a fix for it.