Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Car Soon Power Switch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, we got an error message, "Service Car Soon." I called Tesla and they said it was my power switch and i might have reduced power. They said it needs to be serviced sooner than later. When I initially plugged it in, I got a red ring at the charge port and on the HPWC. I unplugged the car and reset the HPWC. It then charged normally. After doing a lot of reading on the forum, I decided to go for a quick test drive. It delivered full power to the motor. (240 KW). I suspect it has something to do with the AC charging side of the switch control, therefore, I plan on taking it to the WPB service center as they have the parts.

This car has the original A pack. I guessing they are now able to service A packs locally.

This is the second warning I have had, but the first one that Tesla said they don't recommend driving as it could fail anytime. (The first was "Replace 12V Battery" last month."

I am now thinking I need to keep an ICE in the pool until local mechanics can work on EVs.

John

Sounds like you're having a contactor problem. They should be able to fix it. It will likely be intermittent until it fails completely.

I don't plan to keep an ICE around. The holding cost is so much higher than the cost of getting a rental when needed, and Enterprise will deliver to my door. YMMV but do the math before you just go out and get another car.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Sounds like you're having a contactor problem. They should be able to fix it. It will likely be intermittent until it fails completely.

I don't plan to keep an ICE around. The holding cost is so much higher than the cost of getting a rental when needed, and Enterprise will deliver to my door. YMMV but do the math before you just go out and get another car.

We have not driven the S in the past 24 hours. It has been doing a lot of clicking just sitting in the garage, unplugged with the FOB in the house. Something is going on.

I still have an ICE i was planning on replacing it with an S or the 3. I may just delay replacing it.

John

I have heard from a little birds, Tesla is pushing out those Service notifications. It looks like they are wanting to replace a lot of them, but they don't want everyone coming in at the same time. It is a shame the notification didn't get pushed out three weeks ago when I had the car in for a 48 month service.

John

I have heard from a little birds, Tesla is pushing out those Service notifications. It looks like they are wanting to replace a lot of them, but they don't want everyone coming in at the same time. It is a shame the notification didn't get pushed out three weeks ago when I had the car in for a 48 month service.

John

What's your model year? Since you have an A pack, it looks like yours was built prior to 2014. Tesla has improved the Model S, including the battery, significantly since then in order to prevent issues like this. I would schedule an appointment with the service center. You can also e-mail [email protected].

Got the same message. Called the service center and they said it was a power switch. Apparently they ordered them and will call me when available. Sounds to me like they ordered a bunch so they could replace a bunch. I have a 2013 85s, vin 13000 something

I got my wife's car back yesterday. It took them two full days. They didn't call me before they closed on Wednesday so I got an extra day in a P85D. I think that was intentional, as I really want a P85D for myself now.

I saw the battery out of the car with the back of the battery opened. I didn't even ask to go out there as they had the bay around the car roped off since the were working on the high D.C. Voltage area.

John

P.s. When I handed the car over to them, it had 8% left. They were real happy about that.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I got my wife's car back yesterday. It took them two full days. They didn't call me before they closed on Wednesday so I got an extra day in a P85D. I think that was intentional, as I really want a P85D for myself now.

I saw the battery out of the car with the back of the battery opened. I didn't even ask to go out there as they had the bay around the car roped off since the were working on the high D.C. Voltage area.

John

P.s. When I handed the car over to them, it had 8% left. They were real happy about that.

That's great news that you got it back! They probably took some extra time to check and test everything.