TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Service Car Soon Power Switch

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Jdcorbitt3, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

Yesterday, we got an error message, "Service Car Soon." I called Tesla and they said it was my power switch and i might have reduced power. They said it needs to be serviced sooner than later. When I initially plugged it in, I got a red ring at the charge port and on the HPWC. I unplugged the car and reset the HPWC. It then charged normally. After doing a lot of reading on the forum, I decided to go for a quick test drive. It delivered full power to the motor. (240 KW). I suspect it has something to do with the AC charging side of the switch control, therefore, I plan on taking it to the WPB service center as they have the parts.

This car has the original A pack. I guessing they are now able to service A packs locally.

This is the second warning I have had, but the first one that Tesla said they don't recommend driving as it could fail anytime. (The first was "Replace 12V Battery" last month."

I am now thinking I need to keep an ICE in the pool until local mechanics can work on EVs.

John

2. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Sounds like you're having a contactor problem. They should be able to fix it. It will likely be intermittent until it fails completely.

I don't plan to keep an ICE around. The holding cost is so much higher than the cost of getting a rental when needed, and Enterprise will deliver to my door. YMMV but do the math before you just go out and get another car.

• Like x 1
  3. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

We have not driven the S in the past 24 hours. It has been doing a lot of clicking just sitting in the garage, unplugged with the FOB in the house. Something is going on.

I still have an ICE i was planning on replacing it with an S or the 3. I may just delay replacing it.

John

4. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

AFAIK the newer contactors are not prone to failure like the originals. You should be good to go once you have the repair.

• Like x 1
  5. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

I have heard from a little birds, Tesla is pushing out those Service notifications. It looks like they are wanting to replace a lot of them, but they don't want everyone coming in at the same time. It is a shame the notification didn't get pushed out three weeks ago when I had the car in for a 48 month service.

John

6. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

What's your model year? Since you have an A pack, it looks like yours was built prior to 2014. Tesla has improved the Model S, including the battery, significantly since then in order to prevent issues like this. I would schedule an appointment with the service center. You can also e-mail [email protected].

7. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

My car is an early 2013 vin 9555 60KW. I drove it to West Palm tonight. It will be in the service center tomorrow at 08:30.

John

8. Electric700

Ah, so you would likely need the updated contactors. I hope it goes well for you.

9. jayman

jayman Member

Got the same message. Called the service center and they said it was a power switch. Apparently they ordered them and will call me when available. Sounds to me like they ordered a bunch so they could replace a bunch. I have a 2013 85s, vin 13000 something

10. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

I got my wife's car back yesterday. It took them two full days. They didn't call me before they closed on Wednesday so I got an extra day in a P85D. I think that was intentional, as I really want a P85D for myself now.

I saw the battery out of the car with the back of the battery opened. I didn't even ask to go out there as they had the bay around the car roped off since the were working on the high D.C. Voltage area.

John

P.s. When I handed the car over to them, it had 8% left. They were real happy about that.

• Like x 1
  11. Electric700

That's great news that you got it back! They probably took some extra time to check and test everything.

12. LilWanFu

LilWanFu Member

I really enjoy reading all of these posts as I am expecting to take possession of a 2013 CPO MS sometime in December. There are all sorts of things that I can ask about during the pickup.

13. jayman

jayman Member

My car has over 50k miles. Will replacing this part be covered under warranty? Is this just a way for Tesla to avoid a recall and negative pub?

14. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

HV contactors are covered under the 8 year unlimited warranty.