Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Abuse or Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my P100d in service sender for a few days. WhIle it was there I noticed it was charged to 100% and when I get it back I notice this on energy usage screen. Vehicle was dropped off at the 20 mile history Mark. For a period of 3 miles or so 800+ watts per mile was used! Wth were they doing. It was only in for an alignment and parking sensor failure. Your opinions? Normal for service center to drive our cars extremely hard? Also has anyone had steering wheel pull? Mine pulled to left slightly since. New. Got alignment and toe was out. But now even after alignment it still pulls left!? On all roads. Not just roads slanted to left. Sucks because I'm over an hour away from Tesla.
20170224_205804.jpg

well, testing the alignment requires driving at highway speeds. i had a car once with alignment issues that only became pronounced above 80mph.

that said, if the car is pulling left, it's not just annoying, you're going to get uneven tire wear too. i'd take it back. :(

Had my P100d in service sender for a few days. WhIle it was there I noticed it was charged to 100% and when I get it back I notice this on energy usage screen. Vehicle was dropped off at the 20 mile history Mark. For a period of 3 miles or so 800+ watts per mile was used! Wth were they doing. It was only in for an alignment and parking sensor failure. Your opinions? Normal for service center to drive our cars extremely hard? Also has anyone had steering wheel pull? Mine pulled to left slightly since. New. Got alignment and toe was out. But now even after alignment it still pulls left!? On all roads. Not just roads slanted to left. Sucks because I'm over an hour away from Tesla.
View attachment 216296

have you ever noticed that when you initially start on your drives that the wh/miles can be very high?
I cannot say what the techs were doing with your car but trying to suggest that they were doing something out of the ordinary isn't right.

Reactions: diesel and bonnie
have you ever noticed that when you initially start on your drives that the wh/miles can be very high?
I cannot say what the techs were doing with your car but trying to suggest that they were doing something out of the ordinary isn't right.

Well the graph shown is over 30 miles. With multiple 0-60s and energy usage never came closw to looking like that. The fact that 800+ watts per mile were used continually over 3 miles show's an ALOT of energy was used back to back. Not just an anitial acceleration. When you say my curiosity to get opinions isn't right. Maybe you should not be responding to posts like this. Not looking for negative feedback. Just opinions. Thanks! :)

• Disagree
Reactions: diesel
Well the graph shown is over 30 miles. With multiple 0-60s and energy usage never came closw to looking like that. The fact that 800+ watts per mile were used continually over 3 miles show's an ALOT of energy was used back to back. Not just an anitial acceleration. When you say my curiosity to get opinions isn't right. Maybe you should not be responding to posts like this. Not looking for negative feedback. Just opinions. Thanks! :)
I'm not going to argue with you, you apparently don't know the car well enough to understand that the graph you were looking at, the one showing the last 30 miles of usage, does not mean that the car was driven 30 miles, it is a representation of the last 30 miles of usage.
when you dropped the car off the miles should have been noted, did it show 30 miles of driving while the car was in for service? you could also call into tesla and have the logs reviewed by the "mothership" ask them if the logs show that the techs drove 30 miles.

I think that you're looking for an issue that doesn't exist.

your biggest problem now is that the alignment appears not to have been made properly.

• Informative
Reactions: diesel and croman
My .02 They tested it at highway speeds to replicate the problem. It is a P100 so they more than likely used its full accelaration to get there.. I wouldn't be too upset, but a friendly call to the service manager to bring it to their attention might not be a bad idea either.

I love that car by the way.. nice pick.

Have a great day.

Reactions: Gur814
If you idle car with heat on it will look even worse. I had 3.6kwh over 5 miles chart when I did that when I first got my car. It is of the charts literally. I think nothing here to focus on other than alignment and even then my service center is so good I can't imagine them messing something like that up in a Tesla because of autosteers requirements

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo

Instead of assuming bad intent, why don't you just ask the Service Center about it? They work with our cars every day, all day - I sincerely doubt that yours was taken out for a joy ride.

Obviously you can do what you want, but my preferred style is to build a good relationship with the service techs. And questioning their actions on social media (vs. just talking to them) probably wouldn't be how I'd go about it.

Like croman and DCGOO said. The chart is showing Wh per mile driven. When the car is in the shop the doors are probably open, maybe the AC is running, maybe the techs are listening to your radio. The car is using Wh but not moving, or is only driven a little bit. So, what the graph shows is large energy use divided by SMALL mileage. 300 Wh per mile is the Model S estimated average energy usage, as indicated on the display by the horizontal line labeled "Wh/mi 300". If you divide 300 by .5 miles that is 600 Wh per mile. If you divide 300 by .25 miles you get 1200 Wh per mile! So I think they used energy while sitting still in the Service Center and it shows up as a high Wh PER MILE, which it was. You can replicate this at home.

Also has anyone had steering wheel pull? Mine pulled to left slightly since. New. Got alignment and toe was out. But now even after alignment it still pulls left!? On all roads. Not just roads slanted to left. Sucks because I'm over an hour away from Tesla.

Yes, alignment seems to be fairly common on the refresh cars. For mine and some others in the thread below it seems to be more than just alignment, its also a general tracking and stability issue at highway speeds.

My refresh was delivered new out of alignment. Two alignments later and it doesn't pull as much, but it still doesn't track right.

Unstable steering at speeds around 80 mph

View attachment 216296
Looks like someone was cranking the ac or heat while in the shop... probably left the doors open and it ran constantly

Agree on it probably being normal. I know I would regularly get ICE vehicles back from service with absolutely miserable MPG for the time it was in the shop. Often it was because they were idling them as they moved them around, with the windows open and the heat cranked. It would not surprise me for a second that similar things happen at the SC.