Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center and NO Loaners - Only Uber

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I drive a decent amount for work and have a P90DL and have an order for a X P100DL, but not keen on taking delivery as I heard the X tends to have some issues with doors and will likely be taken in for some service issues.
The $100/day uber will not get me far with pricing in Los Angeles, and will not work for me, this needs to be fixed, I will be calling the service manager monday to see options as this really is swaying my decision if I buy a $140K+ car and have to deal with Uber instead of having a rental loaner of the same make and ability to do what I want and go where I want

So I drive a decent amount for work and have a P90DL and have an order for a X P100DL, but not keen on taking delivery as I heard the X tends to have some issues with doors and will likely be taken in for some service issues.
The $100/day uber will not get me far with pricing in Los Angeles, and will not work for me, this needs to be fixed, I will be calling the service manager monday to see options as this really is swaying my decision if I buy a $140K+ car and have to deal with Uber instead of having a rental loaner of the same make and ability to do what I want and go where I want

Totally understand your use case.... hopefully the majority of owners are okay with the Uber option and that helps them save money and keep loaners available for those who absolutely want them.

For me the loaners are either piece of crap AP1/Classic Model S’s or Nissan Rogues from Enterprise with a stack of paperwork passing all sorts of liability to me. In fact the way they process the loaners frequently results in my credit card being disabled due to fraud. So I get to check out a $25,000 economic “sport” “utility” “vehicle” (arguably all 3 words in heavy airquotes) and drive it to work at an odd hour where I’ll spend an hour looking for nonexistent parking because it’s not before 7AM.... all to be summoned at some completely random time to drive back to Tesla. God forbid I have to take the car back to my apartment where it’ll be ticketed and towed unless I can arrive before 7PM to register it with the leasing office because they have a full time towing company with 3 tow trucks on premise.

All in all for me I would usually prefer the Uber/Lyft route. Sure that’s not the case for everyone but on a weekday all I need my car for is to get from work to home.

Excuse me, that's my car, and I love it. I realize that some of you like your Autopilot, but some of us are fine with any high quality electric car.
Sorry I didn’t mean to say your car is a piece of crap. It’s most certainly not.

I’m saying the loaners in the Bay Area that have 100k+ miles are rough. Seats are grimy or damaged. Steering isn’t even straight, some of them don’t have working cellular service, and all of them smell like cigarette smoke.

Offering me $100 Uber credit when I bring in my $100k+ car that has a manufacturing defect covered under warranty is insulting. It's not practical to uber kids back and forth from school, sports, activities. Those are all things that my car is required to do on a daily basis.

I've had my roadster at the Berkeley Service Center for 2 1/2 weeks and got Uber credits. The person who dropped off their car before me got the last loaner ;(

They will always say someone got the last loaner. But there is always a car or two back there if you make a big enough fuss.

Even if not they could have gotten you something first thing the next morning.

Uber will not work for me. From home to work with whatever instrument I need for that day's rehearsal (often a tuba), sometimes pick someone else up on the way to rehearsal with their gear, drive them home then go home - every day would be a complete mess to try to Uber. Some of my rehearsals are 30+ miles each way. I only live about 5.5 miles from work, but average over 400 miles/week without joyriding. (Although, every ride is a joy...)

As usual, Tesla is being poor at communications. It appears that they offer Uber first, offer a loaner if they have one and you make it clear Uber won't work, and offer Enterprise rentals if Uber won't work and they don't have a loaner and you still need one. This hasn't exactly been communicated consistently by Tesla staff, of course, since commnuications are terrible.