Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Battery Charging Patterns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was to receive the 3 on 4-26 but many supposedly minor cosmetic issues have left me without it since that time. I assume they charged it to 100% that day. They have now charged it to 100% two more times in the intervening time period. Will I get anywhere near the rated range if/when I finally get it? I may be unnecessarily panicking but forums have a way of causing paranoia in OCD perfectionists like me.

1) I arrived at the showroom (and synced my phone with the 3) on delivery date to a charge of 99% so in all likelihood, that points to a full charge being applied that day. That doesn't mean I was able to take it home. It took almost 5 weeks to actually take ownership after damage was incurred at some point between manufacture/delivery (and it's still not cosmetically perfect in one of the problem areas).
2) Thanks to a nifty piece of software colloquially known as the Tesla app, I can monitor battery status including charging status.

I would actually rather this thread be deleted after the ordeal I've experienced, as I'm not in the mood for 3rd degree lines of questioning (and I am stuck with the vehicle).

Last edited:
That's kind of surprising that the staff would think the car needed to be fully charged. Most of the cars as delivered are at 70-80 percent. Nonetheless, if you're connected to your car, you can turn the heater on and drain off a few miles. It won't make any difference, but you'll feel better.

Reactions: vinnie97
I actually stopped one charging session last week in the morning after it reached 90%. When staff came in later that morning (while I was sleeping), they must have completed the charge (because I saw 100% later that day). Maybe it's due to my location being 2 hours from the service center that they felt the need to keep it topped off...

1) I arrived at the showroom (and synced my phone with the 3) on delivery date to a charge of 99% so in all likelihood, that points to a full charge being applied that day. That doesn't mean I was able to take it home. It took almost 5 weeks to actually take ownership after damage was incurred at some point between manufacture/delivery (and it's still not cosmetically perfect in one of the problem areas).
2) Thanks to a nifty piece of software colloquially known as the Tesla app, I can monitor battery status including charging status.

I would actually rather this thread be deleted after the ordeal I've experienced, as I'm not in the mood for 3rd degree lines of questioning (and I am stuck with the vehicle).
If you have access to your car with the Tesla app, why haven’t you used it to set the charging limit down to 90%? Or is that question out of line also?

Just so you know, I wasn’t trying to offend you or give you the third degree. It’s surprising your app was connected to the car if you didn’t take delivery, and even more unusual that you can access the car with it now. It’s been standard procedure for several years for Tesla to disable mobile access when a car is in the service center. This is because of idiot owners who thought it would be funny to remotely honk the horn, etc.

Just chill, charging to 100% a few times won't hurt the battery. Most of the other electrics always charge to 100%.
Also, because it was already near 100%, you weren't really getting a Supercharge rate, you got a top-off rate. So it is not like multiple Supercharger charges.

So just sit back and enjoy the car when you get it. A 100% charge means that you can do a lot of driving on Day 1!!!

If you have access to your car with the Tesla app, why haven’t you used it to set the charging limit down to 90%? Or is that question out of line also?
I looked through all the options and didn't see this one anywhere, so I ASSumed it could only be set inside the vehicle's UI. :p
Just so you know, I wasn’t trying to offend you or give you the third degree. It’s surprising your app was connected to the car if you didn’t take delivery, and even more unusual that you can access the car with it now. It’s been standard procedure for several years for Tesla to disable mobile access when a car is in the service center. This is because of idiot owners who thought it would be funny to remotely honk the horn, etc.
Sorry, just a bit touchy after everything. All I can say is that on the day of delivery, right before I was able to view the vehicle, it appeared on my app and was never deleted. Luckily, I was able to resist the temptation of idiocy while waiting 5 months and watching from afar.:D