Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center - Bedford NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to consider a service center in the Rt95 area with access from Maine and Rt101 West NH

They're really going to have to do both, and add a couple more. They're way behind on service capacity for NH, VT, and ME at this point and I'm only seeing more Teslas on the roads here. I used to go weeks without seeing another one, now I don't go a single day.

Maybe when one door closes, another opens. In this weeks Londonderry Times there is an article titled "Zoning Board Approves Electric Vehicle Service Center Variance" The address they give is 36 Industrial Drive, which is just off of Pettengill Rd. on the south side of Manchester Airport. The article didn't identify who it was for, but after reading the article I can't think of any other company this would apply to. From what I can see on Google Maps, it looks like there is much more land there than the site in Bedford. Oh yeah, it was unanimously approved as long as they don't repair combustion engines there. It'll be interesting to follow this.

Nice find. Two zoning amendments were discussed at the 11/16 ZBA meeting:

1670097413379.png

I assume next step will be a visit to the planning board to review plans - this is where the interesting information tends to show up in the meetings :)

It looks like Tesla might have figured out they'll need a bigger boat. The Bedford site was under 6 acres, Londonderry is close to 8. The Bedford proposal was for a 36,000 sq. ft. building, now looking at 46,000, plus 26 service lifts. Bedford offered room for 70 to 100 parking spaces, Londonderry is slotted for 335..... Having seen Dedham in the past, Paramus this summer, just can't have enough parking for deliveries and service.

Vermont is getting a service center, in Burlington VT. The re-zoning vote of an existing building just passed the city council vote, allowing Tesla to put up shop to refurbish an existing building to use as a service center/showroom. Its northern VT, so that might not help southern NH owners, but it will definitely help central/northern NH, and northern NY, as well as relieve some congestion at the Boston SC's.

Wednesday night representatives for Tesla returned to the Londonderry Zoning Board. Evidently the variance approved in November contained a clerical error that reflected just a 46,320 sq. ft. building. The variance from November had failed to consider an amendment that was later added to the original application. This had increased the building sq. ft. request to 50,353.

Referring to the future "tenant", it appears likely that Tesla will only be leasing the property. Although the language in the variance strictly limits repairs to electric vehicles, this did not prevent the developer from verbally proposing the future potential for ICE repair. This was only suggested as an unlikely, worst case scenario, if the tenant were to ever move. This contradiction did not go over well with board members. So, rather than pursue ICE repair language and rewrite the application, the issue was withdrawn by the developer. There was some debate over the proposed 335 parking spaces. A couple of board members were incredulous over this aspect of the proposal. Can imagine this would be understandable. Especially if they've never seen the crowding that can occur at a Tesla service and sales center.

With this December variance approval, including the increased building size, the parking lot and other issues will move to the Planning Board. Also, might suggest at some point the proposal for this Londonderry location get moved to a unique thread.

Reactions: MikeHawk and kayak1
Speculation from a Tesla employee in MA was that the adjacent 'showplace' was enough to kill this Bedford location. I wonder if that could just be an excuse so they didn't have to deal with all the Bedford imposed conditions. Either way - I hope they hurry up with the Londonderry location.

Speculation from a Tesla employee in MA was that the adjacent 'showplace' was enough to kill this Bedford location. I wonder if that could just be an excuse so they didn't have to deal with all the Bedford imposed conditions. Either way - I hope they hurry up with the Londonderry location.
Need to wait long hours for service center repairs, Showplace is the spot for you!

Bedford imposed conditions.

The only conditions were they couldn't be open 24 hours, because Bedford doesn't allow 24 hour businesses. Tesla employees say all kinds of things, and they're usually wrong. This seems much more like a poor site choice was made because it's physically small. A better site was available several miles down the road that had a bigger lot, easy access to electrical facilities necessary, etc.

Reminds me of the original service location in MA with that tiny three or four bay garage setup. The site worked when there were 10 Teslas in MA, not when there were 10,000.

Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer
I'm not dead yet...

from March 27 agenda of Bedford planning board
"III. New Business: 1. South River Road Ventures, LLC (Applicant & Owner) – Request for a time extension to meet the conditions of approval for a previously approved Site Plan, for a 41,486 SF electric car maintenance facility and dealership, located at South River Road and Technology Drive, Lot 35-3-1, Zoned PZ. "

reports in local news suggests this was approved. (minutes not posted on town site as time of my posting)

I'm not dead yet...

from March 27 agenda of Bedford planning board
"III. New Business: 1. South River Road Ventures, LLC (Applicant & Owner) – Request for a time extension to meet the conditions of approval for a previously approved Site Plan, for a 41,486 SF electric car maintenance facility and dealership, located at South River Road and Technology Drive, Lot 35-3-1, Zoned PZ. "

reports in local news suggests this was approved. (minutes not posted on town site as time of my posting)
Not a body language expert here, but viewed the video and the applicant/owner seemed pretty down in the dumps when asked if there was a possibility that this may not be moving forward. He could only say "unsure at this point" and that a lot of time and money has already been spent to get the site plan approved last year and that's why he wanted to ask for a deadline extension.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer