Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center broke latch. How to proceed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would you suggest I proceed with this? 2018 LR 3 (64k miles out of warranty) Exterior trunk switch did not work, mobile tech came and repaired for a fee.. Went in to service center to have a seat mechanics replaced (would not move forward for $300) Since I was paying I asked the tech to give me the old parts. When I tried to open my trunk at the service center the latch went out again. The car stayed there and this morning I get another estimate for $165 General Diagnosis I have not spoken with the staff on the phone yet (as I am writing they are wanting to speak with me on the phone) It seems regardless if I paid to have the switch replaced or not (which I did) I should not receive my car in worse shape than when I drove off. The second time the trunk latch was found to be non operable it was in the lot of the service center and I didn't even leave in the car. While I much rather have my 3 than an a second old model S with body damage, I would like to have my car operating fully. (Trunk latch still works with app and panel)

Thank you

Most often any car company cannot enter a car into the system of service without booking it in, and setting up some type of diagnosis. You are out of warranty like me. Any time I have had any minor issue regardless of who pays (me or goodwill) it always starts with an estimate. Same way at Chevy, Mercedes, or BMW from my experience. Even for a procedure done a week ago. I would say give the service center the opportunity to figure it out. Please keep us posted.

Edit: If they come back and say we were wrong the first time it is really X I might be a little annoyed, and want an explanation. Whack a mole is never a good feeling in an out of warranty car. Not saying that is going on here, but it sucks from a customer perspective.

I have already paid for a diagnosis and repair of the latch and it worked when the tech left only a week ago.
Out of warranty, if you paid Tesla to replace the part and the same part broke again within a year or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first) both the part and the labor is covered under the parts warranty:
Vehicle Warranty
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

I would see what they say first, that may just be a generic estimate that they may not end up charging you.

I have already paid for a diagnosis and repair of the latch and it worked when the tech left only a week ago.

From your previous post:

A few weeks but they believe it is some other issue and had to trace it back to the wiring harness.

If it is discovered that it was a wire harness issue they will probably find it and charge you that if it determines the latch is not the issue. Ask for a refund of the charge for the latch if it wasn't the problem. Wire harness issues are not easy to diagnose. Often the non offending part is replaced before it is determined to be the wires to the problem. Sometimes it is a break right at the end, sometimes in the middle.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The tech took the lazy route - replacing the latch takes minutes. But the harness failed more often than the latch, and you can test the latch.......... Replacing the harness takes over an hour and requires disassembling the parcel tray. The wires were failing, and when they tech moved the wires they started working again.

My rear trunk harness failed. For a month, I could make it work by tapping the wires. Or by rapidly repeatedly hitting the trunk button - usually get an unlock within 20 seconds.