Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Charging me for warranty issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also recently got a bill like this emailed to me just before a service appointment ("General diagnostics: $97.50"), likely a result of remote diagnostics. I called the SC and they said this is just the standard procedure, and if the issue that was diagnosed turns out to be a manufacturer defect, I wouldn't have to pay. Annoying they don't explain this better, they just send an email asking to "please pay".

Related to this, while at a SC recently, I overheard a long back and forth between a tech and customer about the fact that rattles/noises are also not covered under warranty, and cost the same $97.5 to diagnose. I think it's the same thing, the customer is considered guilty until proven innocent.

I also recently got a bill like this emailed to me just before a service appointment ("General diagnostics: $97.50"), likely a result of remote diagnostics. I called the SC and they said this is just the standard procedure, and if the issue that was diagnosed turns out to be a manufacturer defect, I wouldn't have to pay. Annoying they don't explain this better, they just send an email asking to "please pay".

Related to this, while at a SC recently, I overheard a long back and forth between a tech and customer about the fact that rattles/noises are also not covered under warranty, and cost the same $97.5 to diagnose. I think it's the same thing, the customer is considered guilty until proven innocent.
So to explain this.....

you bring your car in for an electrical issue, tech pulls a few panels off, finds out some stereo shop added a subwoofer to your M3, and that’s causing the issue. That’s not warranty. If he didn’t have your prior authorization for 1 hour of diagnosis, either the shop has to pay the tech, or the shop says, too bad tech, you don’t get paid.

And yes, noise/rattle is limited warranty too.

So to explain this.....

you bring your car in for an electrical issue, tech pulls a few panels off, finds out some stereo shop added a subwoofer to your M3, and that’s causing the issue. That’s not warranty. If he didn’t have your prior authorization for 1 hour of diagnosis, either the shop has to pay the tech, or the shop says, too bad tech, you don’t get paid.

And yes, noise/rattle is limited warranty too.

Sure, I can understand this is more convenient for Tesla, but try explaining this policy to someone whose brand new 100k Model X rattles.

I think the main issue is the way it is communicated (or not communicated) to customers.

Hi
I have a question about my MYLR 2022 model. Why am I being charged for this service? ( see attached estimate) the issue is ———> Lower trunk trim inside is missing clips and warped. The technician came today Feb 20th and since he didn’t have the parts he said he would have to order the parts and come around March first week.My question is shouldn’t this be covered under warranty?

Attachments

• E7DBCB34-F2BD-48E6-8F0B-FA85522552C6.jpeg
    E7DBCB34-F2BD-48E6-8F0B-FA85522552C6.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 102