Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

service center charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
How much does it cost to charge at a Service Center? I'm thinking of renting a MX through Toro for vacation and there is a SC near the dropoff point. I was wondering if I could roll into the SC, charge for a bit, and then hand the car back to the owner. If SC doesn't charge for Supercharger access then this would be a great money saver. :D

How much does it cost to charge at a Service Center?
This question is confusing, and there isn't really an answer for it, as it depends on what you're using.
I was wondering if I could roll into the SC, charge for a bit, and then hand the car back to the owner.
Well, maybe. Every service center kind of has their own policies about what they want to allow, or whether they want all of the wall connectors reserved or being used by their test drive cars, but some locations may allow owners to use those for a while.
If SC doesn't charge for Supercharger access then this would be a great money saver.
Well, the Superchargers are priced however the Superchargers are priced. That's unrelated and coincidental if a Supercharger also happens to be at a location that is a service center.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
Upvote 0
@Rocky_H brings up some good points.

If would be helpful if you could tell us what Service Center you are referring to or to post in the thread for that specific service center since locals would be better able to answer your question.

In the Denver Metro area, we have 4 service centers. At the Evans location (which has been closed to customers on/off over the years but still takes service appointments), I'm not aware of any charging available in the parking lot. Same goes for the East 52nd Avenue location. At the Littleton location, they have dozens of wall connectors but they are typically always in use by the service center and for newly delivered cars. They do have a Supercharger hidden towards the back but it's not intended for customer use. At the Superior location, they initially had a few wall connectors available for service center usage. Last year, they added a 16 stall v3 Supercharger that is definitely intended for customer use. As you can see, charging capabilities and permissions can vary greatly depending on the service center location, even within a given metro area.

Sometimes when a new Supercharger opens initial users won't be charged, however you should expect all Superchargers to charge for customer usage unless the vehicle is on an account with free unlimited or free limited Supercharging with a credit remaining.

Reactions: Rocky_H and RNHurt
Upvote 0
This is all great feedback. The Service Center I'm interested in is located near the Tampa International Airport. I would like to charge the car before returning it back to the owner at TPA. If Supercharging is "free" at that SC then that would be great. If not, I can pay for the charge.

I think the reason I ask is because the Cincinnati SC (where I purchased my MY) has Superchargers located on the lot and seem to be free and available to anyone. I think they like to encourage people to come in and look around. :D

Upvote 0
This is all great feedback. The Service Center I'm interested in is located near the Tampa International Airport. I would like to charge the car before returning it back to the owner at TPA. If Supercharging is "free" at that SC then that would be great. If not, I can pay for the charge.

I think the reason I ask is because the Cincinnati SC (where I purchased my MY) has Superchargers located on the lot and seem to be free and available to anyone. I think they like to encourage people to come in and look around. :D
I checked supercharge.info and Find Us | Tesla and don't see a publicly accessible Supercharger at 11945 N Florida Ave, Tampa, FL 33612.

Even if there was a Supercharger there, it wouldn't be free unless the vehicle is on an account with free unlimited or free limited Supercharging with a credit remaining.

You might try posting in this thread Florida Ave. Tampa Service Center and see if they might have publicly accessible wall connectors/destination chargers at that location but I wouldn't count on it. Even if they are open for customer use, you wouldn't know if they would be open when you need one. There is a Supercharger at 2100 West Swann Ave which is closer to the airport, but as mentioned above, it wouldn't be free unless the car has free Supercharging enabled.

• Helpful
Reactions: RNHurt and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Your Turo host can tell you status of SuperCharging on their car. They either will have free charging or will probably add the charge cost to your rental. Some have a 'return my car not fully charged' option, but it is usually a little expensive (although Tesla Turo rentals aren't that inexpensive either way...) We rented a model X through Turo up here near Philly for a trip a while back before we bought our own. Nice way to try out the car.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
Upvote 0
Not a definitive answer but a data point. There are multiple destination chargers at the local service center but I don't believe we can see a supercharger outside. One time my car was serviced, it was supercharged as I can see the session in TeslaFi. I think that supercharging spot is inside the garage, based on the "outside temperature" reported being ~20.5C, early march in Quebec City. I would thus presume it's for service only and clients cannot access it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and RNHurt
Upvote 0