Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Completely Discharged Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is in for service at the moment, not due to be picked up until tomorrow morning. I just got a notification saying "charge now to ensure vehicle will start and avoid battery damage." Has anyone run their battery to zero, and what was the damage to your battery? I tried calling them to ask that they plug it in as soon as I got the notification, but no answer. Any thoughts on what to expect and how to deal with the service center's mistake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200205-183220.png
    Screenshot_20200205-183220.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 257
My X is in for service at the moment, not due to be picked up until tomorrow morning. I just got a notification saying "charge now to ensure vehicle will start and avoid battery damage." Has anyone run their battery to zero, and what was the damage to your battery? I tried calling them to ask that they plug it in as soon as I got the notification, but no answer. Any thoughts on what to expect and how to deal with the service center's mistake?

It doesn't say what the percentage number is. It just says "too low" so I assume it is not completely depleted.

I wouldn't worry about the main battery if you can recharge your car soon like in 1 day or several days. That's because the main battery has its own reserve to save itself from death for days but not months.

However, your 12V battery will no longer get any charge as a sacrificial lamb so it might be dead or even when it's resurrected, it might be dead soon afterward (12V lead acid battery does not like low voltage which will decrease its longevity).

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
Good to know, thanks! If you were in this situation, would you ask that they replace the 12v? What all does that battery control, and what would I expect if it did die on me? Thank you!!

I would. That is a very reasonable request because it is not your fault. I expect Tesla would deny that request due to profit-driven goal lately.

In the old days, to save money, there was no separate 12V battery for the early Roadster.

Except it didn't save money for owners because there was no sacrificial 12V battery (which cost hundreds) to save the main battery, they had to pay lots of money for the main battery (which cost thousands).

The main purpose of the main battery is propulsion. The high voltage drives your motor. It also supplies power to your HVAC.

The 12V battery is used for the rest that do not need lots of power such as computers, lights, sound, screens, entertainment, horn, locks, small motors for windows... and its most important job: Battery Management System.

When your 12V goes bad, your instrument clusters would display the message to contact Service Center for 12V service.

Many can drive with that message for weeks, a few could for days.

When 12V battery is too low to operate, your Battery Management System will no longer be working: That means no driving, no charging... and it's time for a 12V replacement.

Don't worry about it.

I disagree completely with that... Unless the OP leased the vehicle running the main battery down that far isn't good for it and will likely have an impact on capacity going forward. There's no reason the service center should do that to a customer car. This is just another example, in a extremely huge pile of them, of Tesla's incompetence and negligence. I'd be calling the service center over and over and over again until someone took my call and plugged my freaking car in.

Jeff

Reactions: rjdoc74
running the main battery down that far isn't good for it and will likely have an impact on capacity going forward.

In Tesla's a State Of Charge (SoC) of "0" is not really physically "0". There is a very large buffer. One cannot brick a battery by running it down to 0 (deep discharge).
I've had a first generation Model S85 for 5.5 years, had 220'000km on the clock when I sold it and I ran that battery down to 1% and even 0% at least two dozen times over the years and it had NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER !!

This is just another example, in a extremely huge pile of them, of Tesla's incompetence and negligence.
Oh shut up and go cry in a corner somewhere. You have no idea what you are talking about. My S85's battery should have been toast several times over if there where any truth to your "thruth".

I'd be calling the service center over and over and over again until someone took my call and plugged my freaking car in.
Leave the freaking car and the freaking SC people alone. The car is fine.

My X was in service for a very long time last year, and it also sent me the "Low battery" note. I called and asked the service people about it, and they said that any car registered into the service support system (EG, at a service center and logged into the service system) will send an alert to them if the battery gets low, so they will know to plug it in.

They hadn't plugged mine in though (hence the call) but supposedly they should be aware when a car in their possession is low on battery.

I’ve got my 12 v battery low voltage notification the other day, I believe it was cause I didn’t drive the X for an extended period of time, I had that msg for more than 4 weeks, and then it disappeared when I took the X for a drive.. So far, so good right now.