Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

service center covered dash cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several months after my Tesla had been in service, I went to look at dash cam footage of a recent incident, only to find that there was tape on the dash cam blocking its view.

On previous visits to the service center, they can disconnect the power from the dash cam. So I checked that, and it was OK. But I never imagined that they would put tape over the lens. It could have been awkward if we had been involved in an accident and didn't have the footage (already been there before, don't want to repeat the experience, the other driver contested our version of events dispite the physical evidence). They never told me, and didn't try to remove it when the service was finished.

Normally I would provide such feedback to the company in question. But in the case of Tesla, I have no idea how to contact them to leave such feedback, and even if I did contact somebody it is likely somebody who has no ability to fix their processes, and the feedback would get forgotten. So I am posting here.

Yes, correct, this is an add-on camera. Tesla is an older one, not sure it has built in recording (but haven't exactly investigated since upgrading the MCU...).

Reason for blaming Tesla, is that the only other alternatives are myself and Mum. Which are both incredibly unlikely. I would like to think that I would remember doing something like that :)

Yes, correct, this is an add-on camera. Tesla is an older one, not sure it has built in recording (but haven't exactly investigated since upgrading the MCU...).

Reason for blaming Tesla, is that the only other alternatives are myself and Mum. Which are both incredibly unlikely. I would like to think that I would remember doing something like that :)
Hmm. Does your Mum also clear your browser history after she finishes borrowing you laptop??:rolleyes:

I never had Toyota touch the dash cam in my car when they serviced it. If they had there would have been an angry email. I’m sure other manufacturers are the same.

Not sure why you think it’s ok for Tesla to touch other stuff in the car outside of what they’re working on.

No disagreement here. But (a) they could have disconnected the power (and made it obvious as well as stopping audio recording also) and (b) told me what they had done, and (c) put it back the way they found it when they finished.

I'm going to guess that it is their practice to cover and then uncover at the end but someone forgot to uncover. Did you ask them about this?