Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center damage, how to address?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will preface this by saying my intent is not to use this venue to be a disgruntled Tesla owner, but rather asking for input from others who may have had similar unfortunate experiences.

I was ecstatic when I took delivery of my 2022 Model Y Performance end-of-quarter in March, just 4 weeks ago. On delivery, the car's condition was pretty good with minimal build defects. The delivery center did leave mud throughout the driver's side area (petals/floor mats), which I was able to clean up. There was a single, pretty unsightly panel gap on the driver's side fender-door and some left over residue caked onto the passenger side seat that I couldn't remove. I decided to hold off on PFF/ceramic coating until the panel misalignment was fixed and booked a service visit with a 2 weeks wait. The SC was able to correct the panel gap and remove the residue in a single afternoon. During pickup, I noticed that they managed to puncture the leather on my driver's side seat during the service visit. After moving this up to the SC Manager, they agreed to replace the seat cushion at no cost and I had to schedule a second service visit 1 week later. Fast forward, I went to pick up the MYP today after my second service visit in as many weeks and was stoked over the seat replacement hoping to FINALLY have a flawless car. After inspection, the puncture was gone (!), but the SC left grease all over the back of the driver's side seat so I asked that they clean it off real quick before I left. Big mistake. They drove the car around to the back. After waiting for 30 minutes, I walked back outside only to learn that the concierge at the SC had hit another car on the lot. There was significant enough damage that the SC Manager told me that my MYP requires a brand new front bumper. My frustration instantly boiled over. Now, I have to wait for the SC to order a new bumper, have it painted, and then hand over my car again to them to install the new bumper in 1.5-2 weeks. This also further delays adding paint protection to the car.

Has anyone experienced an epic constellation of errors like this with an SC and have any insight on where my rights lie on making this right beyond just the necessary repairs? The SC is trying to smooth this over by replacing the bumper, offering a loaner, etc. To their credit, they have been nothing short of professional throughout, but I am at a loss on how to truly rectify the stress endured, time wasted, and colossal inconvenience that this has been on my big purchase. This is entirely of their own doing. Additionally, does anyone know if this will show up as a "collision" on the car's history (it'll definitely be on the service records).

Better is often the enemy of good. Sorry for what you are going through. This is not an issue that is unique to Tesla. Often times, trying to get something made better, it can end up making it worse.

I have also seen this with body shops trying to repaint a little nick or scratch, and ending up with paint that does not match factory.

Write them a letter saying that you are giving them this one opportunity to fix it, but if the car has ANY faults (so much as a dirty hand print) on it, you want to reject the car as you are legally entitled to. Hopefully this will concentrate their minds to do a good job. It doesn’t mean that you do have to reject it, and actually for this, I wouldn’t. They have to refund what you paid, but then you have to order and wait for another car and the prices have probably gone up…..

Write them a letter saying that you are giving them this one opportunity to fix it, but if the car has ANY faults (so much as a dirty hand print) on it, you want to reject the car as you are legally entitled to.

There is no "right to reject the car as you are legally entitled to" in the US. The OPs stated location is manhattan beach CA. CA has "no cooling off period" as it relates the car purchases, which is pretty much the exact opposite of "legal right to reject the car".

The OP hasnt been on TMC since may 23rd so we may not find out what happened here for a bit.

Yes - I am having my own series of unfortunate events with Latham service.

Had bugs in taillights glass, big ones. They replaced under warranty.

In addition to changing taillights, they scratched, dinged, and dented fender without mentioning it.

Took well over a month to get them to look at it and agree to repair. During this 2nd visit, they were going to address striker on passanger door also; but dinged and creased that door!

Collision shop thinks it will be several thousand to fix, including painting about half the car.

I also have xpel partial wrap with 7 yr ceramic coating that they keep avoiding discussing the repair of. Which will another estimated $2k in repairs.

Worst part - a month later and the “new” taillights already have bugs in them again.

This service center has no regard for condition of cars they work on - nor admitting to their damage.

Attachments

• DDFE4E03-6990-4D81-B28A-B9B7599DED83.jpeg
    DDFE4E03-6990-4D81-B28A-B9B7599DED83.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 152
  • AE3FA6DB-BD0F-4474-A088-0EFA8ECD4440.jpeg
    AE3FA6DB-BD0F-4474-A088-0EFA8ECD4440.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 102
  • BBCA6CFE-55B0-48B2-A854-C618C1CF0E48.jpeg
    BBCA6CFE-55B0-48B2-A854-C618C1CF0E48.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 4C4128FC-CB3C-4879-AA6F-6B254A406E2D.jpeg
    4C4128FC-CB3C-4879-AA6F-6B254A406E2D.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 91
Yes - I am having my own series of unfortunate events with Latham service.

Had bugs in taillights glass, big ones. They replaced under warranty.

In addition to changing taillights, they scratched, dinged, and dented fender without mentioning it.

Took well over a month to get them to look at it and agree to repair. During this 2nd visit, they were going to address striker on passanger door also; but dinged and creased that door!

Collision shop thinks it will be several thousand to fix, including painting about half the car.

I also have xpel partial wrap with 7 yr ceramic coating that they keep avoiding discussing the repair of. Which will another estimated $2k in repairs.

Worst part - a month later and the “new” taillights already have bugs in them again.

This service center has no regard for condition of cars they work on - nor admitting to their damage.
This really sucks. Can you go to another SC? Maybe you should tweet @elonmusk or something.

This really sucks. Can you go to another SC? Maybe you should tweet @elonmusk or something.
Doubt that would even do anything and I don’t really tweet ;). Latham New York service center is the place, and they have consistently done some of the worst repair “attempts” I have seen in my 20 years of owning cars. They changed my bumper out twice at originally delivery, and Latham didn’t want to fix their poor job of installing my license plate holder after bumper swap. He mounted several inches too high. Tech said it’s impossible to put on the license plate holder wrong because they use a “template”. I had to walk about 10 feet away to point to a model s plaid that was correct. Photo attached of that fiasco also! They agreed to remount only after showing their tech the proper install location on another car, but just wow.

Alignment of the bumper has always been crap after they changed, but was perfectly aligned at delivery. I am still, almost a year after ownership, trying to get them to align the bumper correctly. Bottom black bumper covers underneath also have large broken tabs, on both passanger and driver side, causing the plastic covers to sag down; tesla will not fix that damage either. It seems they broke the “tab” off the big clips which hold it on, but they refuse to acknowledge that.

Hard to tell if the techs are overworked and rushed, or just overall inexperienced. I just wish they would help correct the damage they caused….so far they have cancelled appointments and refused to help on some of these issues.

Overall, shockingly poor service for a 100k+ Car. I may have to file a comprehensive claim with my own insurance to fix the damage caused by Latham New York service center. Appointments keep getting cancelled or delayed then cancelled.

it would seem if they broke something during service, it would be nice to just own up and admit to mistake and order replacement parts. However, the techs just shove car out the door without saying anything, and hope customers don’t notice the damage. Frustrating to say the least.

Attachments

• ED0449FA-22D4-48EA-B7DD-C95D7000959C.jpeg
    ED0449FA-22D4-48EA-B7DD-C95D7000959C.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 86
  • EC4157C1-B225-4AA8-9805-086365F70B7C.jpeg
    EC4157C1-B225-4AA8-9805-086365F70B7C.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 90
  • EE3094C2-0DAF-48CE-BC7D-2DB56CC9CBC6.jpeg
    EE3094C2-0DAF-48CE-BC7D-2DB56CC9CBC6.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 1CC1166E-F06F-4C85-BD8C-6EF7AF12F63C.jpeg
    1CC1166E-F06F-4C85-BD8C-6EF7AF12F63C.jpeg