Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center downgraded software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know if this has happened to anyone else but picked up my car from the service center today and they downgraded me from 2021.3106.5 to 2020.48.xxxxxx.

Has this happened before? Even after getting it home it wont go back to a newer version? I had only heard of them pushing a newer update not making it go the other way lol

The software version you typed out seems to have a typo. I'm guessing you're talking about 2021.3.106.5. Even so, the only time my own software got downgraded was when my car's FSD computer was upgraded from HW2.5 to HW3.0. Your own car should have already come with the HW3.0 so I'm at a loss to explain what happened.

Your car should upgrade given a few days. You could try checking it manually: Controls/Software and scroll down some. If there doesn't appear to be a new update waiting, I'd try doing a re-boot and see if that helps. Worst case: contact Service and ask them to push you the latest version.

Reactions: megansblonde
The hardware always comes from the factory with an older software version, perhaps they replaced your computer?
Or perhaps they had to wipe/reinstall the software from the image file they have at the shop which may be older?

Either way, it should update itself within a few weeks. They have the ability to force the update and should have done so but likely forgot. Send them a txt if needed and they should be able to prompt the upgrade remotely.

Thank you both. I just had a rear taillight realigned, a paint patch, and wheel locks installed so they definitely didn't need to mess with software. I'll keep an eye out and message them in the next few weeks if it doesn't update.

@Gauss Guzzler it had the factory which was 2021.3..... and I got it back with 2020.48....

Thats interesting!

Like @RayK mentioned, the only time I have read about that is when they replaced the hardware (FSD computer). Does your invoice say anything about that?

No they definitely did not do that. Only thing I paid for was the wheel locks.

Thats new, then. You could contact the service center to ask them to push out an update for you. The one you had was a factory firmware (but I believe you already knew that, and it was already mentioned).

I havent seen anyone go from factory firmware backwards to 2020.X though. My guess is, you wont get the factory firmware back, you should get some form of 2021.X (but perhaps not 2021.24.X).

Ah, 2021.3 is a factory version. It might be that it just happened to receive the mainstream software update while in service and they just "OK'd" the install.

It's likely that 2021.3 (January 2021) is just the factory image version of 2020.48 (November 2020), or nearly identical at least. Don't worry about it, you're not missing anything - the only noteworthy updates came in 2021.24 which has only gone out to a handful of people so far anyway. You'll get it soon enough, along with the rest of us.

From the little what I know about OTA upgrades, I don't believe that there's a way for an owner to downgrade unless it has been specifically asked for AND Tesla agrees to it.

Maybe Tesla Service found a problem with the FSD computer and had to swap it out without telling the OP (and registering that fact on the invoice).

@megansblonde Did you lose any of your WiFi settings, have to re-pair your phone or re-enter any media login details (e.g., Netflix username/password)? And do you know if your map version also regressed?

From the little what I know about OTA upgrades, I don't believe that there's a way for an owner to downgrade unless it has been specifically asked for AND Tesla agrees to it.

Maybe Tesla Service found a problem with the FSD computer and had to swap it out without telling the OP (and registering that fact on the invoice).

@megansblonde Did you lose any of your WiFi settings, have to re-pair your phone or re-enter any media login details (e.g., Netflix username/password)? And do you know if your map version also regressed?
I didn't have to repair anything and it connected to my wifi when I got home. Only thing I had to do when I got it was fix my mirrors and seat because they adjusted my settings.

Interesting just went to the car to check nav and my previous version 2021.3 is back.

Looks like the car is current again. So that was weird but all is well now.

Reactions: Floger