Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Drove Over a Nail - Wants Me To Pay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, my title is a little one sided. I'll explain...

I sent my car into service to check acceleration shudder and the 17 in. screen going black (refreshing) while driving. The screen issue started after update 2020.8.1.

Due to the Corona Virus I have not been driving my car for the past week. However, The service center asked me to drive the vehicle for two days before my appointment with the USB ports empty. I have music on one USB and the other is used for Sentry Mode. They said the USB with music on it might be causing the issue even if I'm not actively listing to music from it. I didn't experience the black screen during those short drives.

Service test drove the vehicle and said they also could not replicate the black screen and they also did not notice any acceleration shudder.
But, they said when they raised the vehicle, they saw a nail in the front right tire and it's $80.00 to fix.

I had no low tire pressure indicator when I dropped off my car. I know it's possible I picked up a nail a long time ago and have a very slow leak or I pick up a nail in the past two days. But I had no low tire pressure indicator when I dropped off my car. It's also possible that service picked up a nail while test driving.

Update: they said they noticed the nail after they test drove the vehicle. And will split the cost 50-50.
Should I accept it?

I sent my car into service to check acceleration shudder and the 17 in. screen going black (refreshing) while driving. The screen issue started after update 2020.8.1.

Due to the Corona Virus I have not been driving my car for the past week. However, The service center asked me to drive the vehicle for two days before my appointment with the USB ports empty. I have music on one USB and the other is used for Sentry Mode. They said the USB with music on it might be causing the issue even if I'm not actively listing to music from it. I didn't experience the black screen during those short drives.

Service test drove the vehicle and said they also could not replicate the black screen and they also did not notice any acceleration shudder.
But, they said when they raised the vehicle, they saw a nail in the front right tire and it's $80.00 to fix.

I had no low tire pressure indicator when I dropped off my car. I know it's possible I picked up a nail a long time ago and have a very slow leak or I pick up a nail in the past two days. But I had no low tire pressure indicator when I dropped off my car. It's also possible that service picked up a nail while test driving.

Update: they said they noticed the nail after they test drove the vehicle. And will split the cost 50-50.
Should I accept it?
F no go to americas tire and get it fixed for free

Should I accept it?
I LOVE bargains, but charging you $40 to plug a tire is absurd. I agree with others that it much more likely occurred while you were driving. I’d say if they want to fix it for $20 it would be worth it.

Tire shops typically charge $20-25 dollars to remove nails from a standard tire if it’s not too close to the sidewall.

It’s my understanding the Tesla MX tires have (noise reduction) foam inside the tires. Does it perhaps cost more in labor due to the extra work due to the foam?

Considering the dealership is willing to go halfsies, I would say its fair in my opinion. Seems amicable, I would say they are not trying to rip you off.

I would go with the service center, for peace of mind. Iam always nervous when i give my car to Kaltire , i insist staying in and see that the Jack's are correctly placed in jack mode, there always is a smart guy in the tire shop who will ruin your battery due to overconfidence and arrogance . i have witnessed it and when you point the mistake you get a big apology from all, however the damage is done.

You're an American. Sue Tesla for 5 Million dollars! How dare they drive over a nail and endanger you and your family.

Seriously, take the 50/50 split and forget about it. It's only a lousy 40 dollars.Why did you even post this story?

"Does it perhaps cost more in labor due to the extra work due to the foam?"
Yes. It's a P.I.T.A. to see the nail with all that foam over it. Sometimes, they need to remove a piece of the foam to be able to properly fix it.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Tire shops fix flats for free or subsidized prices to get people into their shop where they have a chance to sell them new tires (ir it can't be fixed) oil changes or shocks. Extremely competitive business.

Some still charge a premium if the tire has internal foam. Needs to be ground out to properly seat the sealing plug.

Tesla needs to charge at least 1/2 hour labor. They are being fair here.

You're an American. Sue Tesla for 5 Million dollars! How dare they drive over a nail and endanger you and your family.

Seriously, take the 50/50 split and forget about it. It's only a lousy 40 dollars.Why did you even post this story?

"Does it perhaps cost more in labor due to the extra work due to the foam?"
Yes. It's a P.I.T.A. to see the nail with all that foam over it. Sometimes, they need to remove a piece of the foam to be able to properly fix it.
As an American I feel as though I’m entitled to free teslas... it’s a right I have as an American!
It’s absurd I have to pay money for something that doesn’t pop out of thin air, for something other people put work into making and are compensated for their work...

Reactions: ElectricSteve
but you risk the service center scratching it. its all the same. lol

True , but getting tesla to replace or fix the scratch has gotta be easier than getting a random tire shop to own up to it and run thru that process

Last time Costco scratched my rims, it took a month to resolve and I had to talk to their store manager for a week, get an estimate from a refinish shop, then work with their insurance and they would only cover the repair and not the cost of mounting and dismounting the tire. And thats dealing with Costco, a reputable retailer.

Tire shops typically charge $20-25 dollars to remove nails from a standard tire if it’s not too close to the sidewall.

It’s my understanding the Tesla MX tires have (noise reduction) foam inside the tires. Does it perhaps cost more in labor due to the extra work due to the foam?

Considering the dealership is willing to go halfsies, I would say its fair in my opinion. Seems amicable, I would say they are not trying to rip you off.

I

While I mentioned that the service center offered to pay half for the tire repair, that was not their first offer.
They originally told me that they were unable to find the issue with the black screen and acceleration shudder but found a nail in the tire and it would be $80 to fix.

@ElectricSteve, why did post this? Well, this is a message board and I was looking for opinions on if my asking for half payment was out of line. I was also wondering if I was being taken advantage of. Your knee jerk accusation of me wanting to sue Tesla because I'm American is out of line.

Update: Tesla did fix the tire and we paid 50/50. The nail must have been recent since it was leaking pretty fast. We agreed that I could have picked up a nail the day prior to my appointment or they could have when they test drove it. Anytime prior to that and I would of had a flat tire or at least tire pressure indicator warning.