Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Experience during Pandemic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to provide insight into how Tesla is handling the Service Center experience during the pandemic. I use the Service Center in Dallas, TX.

I scheduled an appoint through the app like normal and put in the issues I was having. All normal stuff so far.

I received a text message talking about their contactless drop off and they were going to send me a worksheet to fill out and to text any videos of noises that I heard back to them. In that text it states "If you do not receive an email from us with the worksheet, please text back with the proper email address to re-send it to". I tried that and never received a response or an emailed worksheet.

On the day of my appointment (8/18/20), I received a text message with a link to click when I arrived at the Service Center. Upon arrival I clicked the link to "check in". About 5 minutes later I received a call from one of the service advisors asking where I was parked and going over the list of items I submitted through the Tesla app when booking.

The advisor then came out to my vehicle (wearing a mask and keeping socially distant), we walked through the list and confirmed the areas of issue. He used green tape to mark the areas that we were discussing so the technicians knew exactly what to look for. After that, i gave him the key card and that was it.

Tesla is not currently giving loaners out due to Covid. I assume its because they dont have disinfection policies in place and it could be a liability. They did issue me a $400 Uber credit good through the end of the week. Meaning if I do not spend the entire credit it goes back to Tesla, I dont get to keep the credit. Makes sense.

They did tell me they were very overwhelmed and they expect I can have my car back by the end of the week. All in all it felt very safe and I had no issues.

TL;DR: Everything done through text, check in through text, advisor double checks everything, everyone wearing a mask, no loaners currently, provided uber credit for travel. Positive experience.

Wanted to provide insight into how Tesla is handling the Service Center experience during the pandemic. I use the Service Center in Dallas, TX.

I scheduled an appoint through the app like normal and put in the issues I was having. All normal stuff so far.

I received a text message talking about their contactless drop off and they were going to send me a worksheet to fill out and to text any videos of noises that I heard back to them. In that text it states "If you do not receive an email from us with the worksheet, please text back with the proper email address to re-send it to". I tried that and never received a response or an emailed worksheet.

On the day of my appointment (8/18/20), I received a text message with a link to click when I arrived at the Service Center. Upon arrival I clicked the link to "check in". About 5 minutes later I received a call from one of the service advisors asking where I was parked and going over the list of items I submitted through the Tesla app when booking.

The advisor then came out to my vehicle (wearing a mask and keeping socially distant), we walked through the list and confirmed the areas of issue. He used green tape to mark the areas that we were discussing so the technicians knew exactly what to look for. After that, i gave him the key card and that was it.

Tesla is not currently giving loaners out due to Covid. I assume its because they dont have disinfection policies in place and it could be a liability. They did issue me a $400 Uber credit good through the end of the week. Meaning if I do not spend the entire credit it goes back to Tesla, I dont get to keep the credit. Makes sense.

They did tell me they were very overwhelmed and they expect I can have my car back by the end of the week. All in all it felt very safe and I had no issues.

TL;DR: Everything done through text, check in through text, advisor double checks everything, everyone wearing a mask, no loaners currently, provided uber credit for travel. Positive experience.
Exactly my experience in Ohio. Except I received $800 Uber credits valid for 10 days

Things must have changed recently or they are SC specific. I dropped off my car on Aug 5th at the STL SC, I didn’t receive any pre-arrival text/e-mail, checklist etc. I got there 15 minutes early and queued in line with other Tesla owners. Shortly there after a tech came out introduced himself and we went over my car. Everyone that I could see were wearing masks. When we were both satisfied he know what I wanted done I handed over my Key Card, he excused himself and to my surprise he returned with a loaner, he didn’t even ask. (I had my son follow just in case so he left). It took him about 5 minutes to disinfect the car and I was on my way with a 2014 P85D. In that regard the STL SC was fabulous. Now they had my car 13 days (long story) but at least I had a loaner.

I got "lucky" to get a loaner S while my Y is in service.
But when I accepted my Y, it had a few obvious things that the delivery agent agreed with and we documented it.Unfortunately, some were paint flaws that required it going to a body shop.
I made a huge point to be super nice, mentioned to the delivery agent that since that means at least a week, I would like to wait until the craziness of the quarterly deliveries died down (a few weeks), so I could get a loaner during the work. Mentioned I was completely flexible in whenever they could arrange the swap, and even then, they couldn't guarantee anything.
When I was doing dropoff, they were about to cut me loose with some Uber vouchers when I said I was told I could get a loaner (even though there was never any guarantees) and they actually hooked me up.
And it's a damn good thing too, because it's been 4 weeks! As nice as the S is, I miss my Y.
I pick it up on Tuesday (although they've pushed back the day a couple times, so we'll see). I hope they haven't let that battery go below 40%!!

Things must have changed recently or they are SC specific. I dropped off my car on Aug 5th at the STL SC, I didn’t receive any pre-arrival text/e-mail, checklist etc. I got there 15 minutes early and queued in line with other Tesla owners. Shortly there after a tech came out introduced himself and we went over my car. Everyone that I could see were wearing masks. When we were both satisfied he know what I wanted done I handed over my Key Card, he excused himself and to my surprise he returned with a loaner, he didn’t even ask. (I had my son follow just in case so he left). It took him about 5 minutes to disinfect the car and I was on my way with a 2014 P85D. In that regard the STL SC was fabulous. Now they had my car 13 days (long story) but at least I had a loaner.
Tom,

Thank you for your service, Sir.

I will be ordering your exact MY configuration this fall.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Disappointing Update:
Dropped my car off on tuesday (8/18/20). Was told the vehicle would be done Thursday or Friday. Absolutely no updates or responses to my text messages/VM's on the progress of my vehicle.

Today (8/23/20) i received a text message that they have no even started working on my vehicle since they had some people call in and were short staffed.

So not only has my vehicle been sitting idle, outside, for 6 days, but we also have a tropical storm/hurricane that is heading this way and I have no idea if they will be moving my vehicle inside.

The positivity I had about the service center during the pandemic is dwindling fast.

PS- The uber credits they provided me have no expired and they did not issue a loaner

Disappointing Update:
Dropped my car off on tuesday (8/18/20). Was told the vehicle would be done Thursday or Friday. Absolutely no updates or responses to my text messages/VM's on the progress of my vehicle.

Today (8/23/20) i received a text message that they have no even started working on my vehicle since they had some people call in and were short staffed.

So not only has my vehicle been sitting idle, outside, for 6 days, but we also have a tropical storm/hurricane that is heading this way and I have no idea if they will be moving my vehicle inside.

The positivity I had about the service center during the pandemic is dwindling fast.

PS- The uber credits they provided me have no expired and they did not issue a loaner

Send them an email. Your specific service center’s email address is on Tesla’s website. They responded to me within a few hours via email. All other attempts were futile.

if/when they do respond you should get a SA’s email address too.

Send them an email. Your specific service center’s email address is on Tesla’s website. They responded to me within a few hours via email. All other attempts were futile.

if/when they do respond you should get a SA’s email address too.
They actually ended up texting me today. They’ve extended my Uber credit and said if Inclement weather is expected they will move vehicles inside.
The worst aspect Is they expect it to be done on Thursday. A week and a half is long ass time to fix some panel gaps and rattles

I got "lucky" to get a loaner S while my Y is in service.
. . . As nice as the S is, I miss my Y.

I was also "lucky" enough to get a loaner MS because my repair would take so long. I definitely would not trade my Y for an S in a straight up deal (ignoring resale). I prefer the MY's interface and interior styling. Also, I was shocked at the lack of usable storage space inside the MS. No door panel pockets!

I took mine in last week to the service center in Pittsburgh. Got a text as soon as I pulled in telling me what spot my loaner was in and that the key was inside and what spot to put my car in. Also told me to leave key in Dropbox. Got text updates also. Probably better and easier than before the pandemic.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet