Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center experience: trading my 3 in for a Mercedes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the German dealers around us require appointments about 2 weeks out to get a loaner. So Tesla is about the same. I’ve always received loaners from Marietta, Georgia. After we got a P100D I have received all P loaners. Though they tend to be used cars waiting to be sold rather than current year C class or 3 series. My service advisor Marcus and previously JR have been some of the better advisors.

Since 2001 I’ve owned an Inifiniti, an Audi, 3 BMWs, 4 Mercedes and most recently 3 Teslas. Overall I would say our Tesla service has been on par if not the slightly better than the others. The best feeling is that Tesla doesn’t nickel and dime us (or $500 and $1,000 us) on maintenance items.

All my Tesla repairs have been warranty work. Had some paid work on our first S but they waived it when I picked it up because of a long wait for a part.

I found that the service experience itself is lacking. I was actually thinking today how much I have spent on service in the last 1.5 years of owning my car and all I can remember is the tire rotation. So I'm glad that I do not have to spend a lot of money on service. However, I have had to go to the service center a few times for things covered under warranty (my headliner had a bend in it and my rear glass had to be replaced because the rubber around it was coming off). I just dread going there.

Now keep in mind I have only been to one service center (Buena Park, CA) and the people there do not seem professional. One guy told me that it was normal that the headliner in my car was crooked because that is what happens when they run the homelink wire? Today's guy tried to tell me that if I go over $100/day on the Uber Credit that I may have to pay the difference until the next day. I was there for the HW3 retrofit and he tells me it should be done by Tuesday. I asked why the website says its a 1 hour job? His response was that they only staff 1/2 the people on Saturday. Why would they do that?

You also can't get anyone on the phone and if you do, they seem irritated. The text message thing is hit or miss. I came from a BMW and I never dreaded going in for service because of how they treated me. Do I want to pay those BMW prices for service? nope, but I do expect a better customer experience when you pay close to $60k for a car.