Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center experience: trading my 3 in for a Mercedes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone mentioned that service is not a profit center for Tesla. That's concerning. No money - then they won't grow that area of the business..

Right now due to warranty repairs, but I’m sure that they are making some bucks on out of warranty repairs too. A big chunk of Ford’s profit is service.

You can’t compare Tesla to the likes of Ford where Ford has been around for over 100 years and they have a SC on every corner.

For the most part the cars are coming out of the factory solid with very few issues now. My guess there will be more SC’s coming and or mobile rangers to help with the minor problems.

Fred

Those of us in smaller, less Tesla-saturated areas (I live near Indianapolis) seem to have much better experiences than those in large metro areas that have a lot more Teslas on the road.

This. I’m in Los Angeles - there are tons of Tesla’s here - the service center here had what appeared to be at least well over 100 Tesla’s in service (parked everywhere throughout the facility). It appears that in certain areas they simply do not have the capacity to meet service demands at this time. This is certainly concerning for us who own here & will eventually need service.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
My experience:

I have a problem and use the app to schedule service center appointment
I get a text message to confirm.
I go to service center and drop off car.
I get a loaner Tesla and tell them to take their time.
I keep loaner Tesla for a month and take lots of road trips.

I have a problem and use the app to schedule a Mobile Service appointment.
Tesla comes to my work.
They fix my car while I work.
They fix my car and leave.
I get into my car after work and it's fixed.

Best service ever.
Not all areas of the country have a service center near where they live. Loaners are few and far between in Florida.

After my recent service center experience in Orlando, I have become convinced that owning a Tesla may become more and more problematic in the future. The car itself is wonderful, but the experience of owning a car and having it serviced is very important, and Tesla is failing miserably. The Orlando center is absolutely overwhelmed, and it shows. Most of the employees don't seem to care much and are trying just to get through the day. Getting the attention of a service person takes anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes. Comparing my Tesla experience to my previous BMW and Mercedes ownership:
  • BMW: I have a problem. I pick up the phone. Brent, my service guy answers on the second ring and asks about my family. A guy drives a loaner over and takes my car.
  • Tesla: Can't call, even to ask a simple question. All service needs to be scheduled through the app. Service calls are usually at least a week out, sometimes two or three.
  • BMW: Brent calls and says they have to order a part. It will arrive overnight and be installed the next day.
  • Tesla: No calls. Service adviser texts that he needs to order a part. When will it arrive? No idea. I'm going on vacation for a week. Service adviser says no problem, it will definitely be ready by then. I return a week later and text my adviser to see if the car is ready. Nope. I live 90 minutes away. Is there anybody who can deliver the car when fixed? No, we're far too busy for that.
  • BMW: Fixed car is delivered, washed inside and out.
  • Tesla:
    • I drive 90 minutes, then wait the usual 30 minutes to talk to someone. Car is brought around. It is absolutely filthy. It is covered in leaves, sap, pollen and other tree debris. The debris is in the Frunk and the Trunk, and in the interior. What did they do, work on the car under a tree with every window and door open??
    • I drive home, then as I am washing it, I notice that the front end has extensive scraping damage to the paint, as if another vehicle or something had ground against it.
    • I try to text my service adviser. Case is closed and the text thread won't accept further messages.
    • I look for some phone number, any phone number, to call about this. Nothing on the website.
    • I email and I create a new service request. Four days so far......one return email saying they will forward the message, but otherwise, crickets.
I absolutely love my Model 3. But, I can't drive around dreading if something goes wrong and I have to subject myself and my car to further service. Service after the sale is key to satisfied customers. Traditional car companies get this, especially the ones that are competing at Tesla's price point (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc). This is especially true now that it is becoming evident that Tesla's reliability may not be as stellar as hoped (I needed service because my whole drive unit failed after 12,000 miles). Tesla's service center in Orlando is overwhelmed already. Tesla aims to sell 500,000 more vehicles this year! I sense an impending disaster in Tesla's reputation if it doesn't get in front of this ASAP. I have an appointment to look at a Mercedes tomorrow and trade my M3 in. It is with reluctance. I hope that Tesla will grow to become a real car company with real service one day. Today is not that day.

Sorry to hear of your crappy exp with your local SC. Mine has been good so far for the few issues I've had, I guess it's just the luck of the draw unfortunately. For anyone buying a Tesla I think it's super important to know what you're looking at if things go wrong. For as amazing as the cars are, I made sure how far away the local SC was, and the certified shops were. I read up on reviews etc for the SC too, etc. A huge part of ownership is knowing what to expect when things aren't peachy, so far so good fortunately.

FYI on calling to get someone, I've found when you select "service" and then I believe it's #3 the selection that is when your're saying the car is in service already, you can get them directly without going into a loop I believe.

With my 3 I've been pleasantly surprised, both in Sunnyvale and Santa Clara. Car has not been in much at all but I did bring it in to Sunnyvale in Jan for 4 wheel alignment. No more loaners for non-warranty, ok they got me an Uber. Also did some service tasks (preemptive charge pin update and frunk latch something, it was fine)

Had good text communications with SC rep as well. Bay area is pretty saturated with Teslas here and I know not everyone has a good experience. No place to go but up then right? Hope so!

Not all areas of the country have a service center near where they live. Loaners are few and far between in Florida.

I see. In that case it’s better to get something else until Tesla build out their network. I was actually really worried to go Page, AZ last weekend because there’s no Tesla support there. Never worried when going to SF or Vegas because I know I can get a tow nearby to a service center and get my car fixed if something happens. I didn’t know FL was that behind like middle America. FL should be a mecca for Teslas. Wonder why not a lot of support there.

My Mercedes experience.

Driving home from grocery store. Car simply shuts down and I pull over. Call Mercedes and wait for tow truck. They drive me home and I wait for information.
Get information and approve the repair. It isnt covered by warranty of course. Repair takes 2 weeks.
Mercedes calls and tells me car is ready. I get ride to dealer. Wait for tech. Goes over car. Head to cashier and pay for repair.
Get car home and pack it up because we are driving to Florida same day. Run to store and as I pull into driveway car stops again with the same message.
Call Mercedes furious we are leaving as soon as kids get home from school in an hour. I arrange for Mercedes to come and pick up the car and repair while we are in Florida. Key is left in a secure box at house and I give Mercedes the code.
Quickly unpack Mercedes decide what we can do without and pack our Camry.
Week later we get back and car is in the driveway. Looks like right where I left it. I look in lockbox and key is still there.
Take key and car wont start.
Call Mercedes furious and they are sorry they thought I was bringing in the car when it was very clear that the arrangement was key locked up and car in driveway for them to pickup.
Finally they fix car.

My Tesla experience

Moving day and going to use the S to move fragile stuff.
1st trip to new house. Unload and when I come out the driverside handle wont present itself.
I call Tesla Service and explain the issue. I need to car to move and the handle is a huge big issue. Need to climb from passenger side to open door. Tell them I cant run the car in to get the handle fixed.
Tesla sends out a new P100D as a loaner and take our 85D.
We move stuff in the loaner including our 3 dogs and 1 cat.
Later that afternoon Tesla meets us at new house with the door handle fixed and takes the loaner back.

Yeah only Tesla service has issues..

I see. In that case it’s better to get something else until Tesla build out their network. I was actually really worried to go Page, AZ last weekend because there’s no Tesla support there. Never worried when going to SF or Vegas because I know I can get a tow nearby to a service center and get my car fixed if something happens. I didn’t know FL was that behind like middle America. FL should be a mecca for Teslas. Wonder why not a lot of support there.
Vegas has a big service center - too bad I don't live there full time. My friend works in sales for Tesla here and they sell like crazy. Florida (at least south) IS a mecca for Teslas. The good news is that SW region of Florida is supposed to be getting a SC sometime this year. From what I read here it sounds like Orlando is overwhelmed and they need additional support in the central region as well.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
Did you actually own a BMW or are did you speak to a BMW enthusiast?

Three experiences will dissuade you of the notion that you should ever own one.

1. My clutch blows up at 12,000 miles. “Sir, is this your first stick shift?” No, you damned moron, I’ve driven stick all my life. The last car I owned had a definite problem with the transmission (a Saab 900 and it clicked as you drove it backward) when we bought it at 80,000 miles. We made it through 80,000 more miles even with that problem. I had to escalate it to corporate to get the clutch replaced. It blew again at 42,000 miles and this time no amount of yelling at them covered the huge expense even though it’s clear that the car has an underpowered clutch.

2. We bring my wife’s BMW in for service at the end of its warranty period. While at the service center the warranty expires. The f*ers wash the car but don’t clean out the rain gutters from the sunroof first. At the garage in the service center her radio fails, then Bluetooth. The gutters were clogged and the water went into the lowest point of the trunk. Guess where the $3,000 electronics module was? A gold star if you said the bottom of the trunk. Since this literally happened at the BMW service center due to a known issue they didn’t correct, you’d think they’d take care of it. Nope, luckily insurance covered the $5,000 for the flood damage.

3. I drive into the service center to get the $1,500 adaptive headlight repaired. It has collapsed of its own free will. There is a minor scuff to the bumper. No impact, a scuff because I drive and park in New York City. “They aren’t going to cover the headlight” says the “service advisor,” a bearded little millennial loser. I curse him, yelling in full view of all the customers that “I’ll buy a Tesla next time “and peel out of the garage. Later on, I repainted the bumper and went to another service center and they were too dumb to have noted the first event in their books.

Note to BMW: I carry out my threats.

I am omitting my usual theater of showing up at the service “advisor’s” desk and saying in a very loud voice “HERE ARE THE SCREWS AND BOLTS THAT YOUR MECHANICS LEFT IN MY CAR, MAYBE YOU CAN USE THEM ON SOMEONE ELSE’S CAR.”

And don’t forget, always vote five stars on our survey because if we don’t get five stars, we fail! You need to vote five stars, right there sir.

Did you actually own a BMW or are did you speak to a BMW enthusiast?

Three experiences will dissuade you of the notion that you should ever own one.

1. My clutch blows up at 12,000 miles. “Sir, is this your first stick shift?” No, you damned moron, I’ve driven stick all my life. The last car I owned had a definite problem with the transmission (a Saab 900 and it clicked as you drove it backward) when we bought it at 80,000 miles. We made it through 80,000 more miles even with that problem. I had to escalate it to corporate to get the clutch replaced. It blew again at 42,000 miles and this time no amount of yelling at them covered the huge expense even though it’s clear that the car has an underpowered clutch.

2. We bring my wife’s BMW in for service at the end of its warranty period. While at the service center the warranty expires. The f*ers wash the car but don’t clean out the rain gutters from the sunroof first. At the garage in the service center her radio fails, then Bluetooth. The gutters were clogged and the water went into the lowest point of the trunk. Guess where the $3,000 electronics module was? A gold star if you said the bottom of the trunk. Since this literally happened at the BMW service center due to a known issue they didn’t correct, you’d think they’d take care of it. Nope, luckily insurance covered the $5,000 for the flood damage.

3. I drive into the service center to get the $1,500 adaptive headlight repaired. It has collapsed of its own free will. There is a minor scuff to the bumper. No impact, a scuff because I drive and park in New York City. “They aren’t going to cover the headlight” says the “service advisor,” a bearded little millennial loser. I curse him, yelling in full view of all the customers that “I’ll buy a Tesla next time “and peel out of the garage. Later on, I repainted the bumper and went to another service center and they were too dumb to have noted the first event in their books.

Note to BMW: I carry out my threats.

I am omitting my usual theater of showing up at the service “advisor’s” desk and saying in a very loud voice “HERE ARE THE SCREWS AND BOLTS THAT YOUR MECHANICS LEFT IN MY CAR, MAYBE YOU CAN USE THEM ON SOMEONE ELSE’S CAR.”

And don’t forget, always vote five stars on our survey because if we don’t get five stars, we fail! You need to vote five stars, right there sir.
You need help dude. Christ

Most people don’t take the time to write about how they are not having any problems with their Tesla. So the forum tends to get filled up with the vocal minority of owners who are having problems. We also own two Model 3’s which were both delivered in flawless condition and neither one has ever needed to go to the service center.

But I don’t doubt that there are many Tesla owners who have had a bad experience with the service center. Many of them are not staffed appropriately to handle the volume. In my area an appointment can be weeks out. And the service center can have 50 cars lined up in the parking lot waiting to be checked in to the center.

But comparing the Tesla service experience to the BMW/Mercedes/Lexus experience is comparing apples and oranges. Tesla services all of their cars themselves. Everyone else relies on independent dealers to service their cars. So when you are writing about your experience with Mercedes, it has nothing to do with Mercedes the manufacturer. You are writing a review of your experience with the Bob Jones Mercedes independent business owner who has a licensing agreement with Mercedes to sell and service their cars. Every dealer is going to be unique in how professional they are in providing service. So comparing a dealership in Florida to one in California is pointless. They are all independently owned and operated businesses.

I’ve had no issues with my 1/18 built model 3. Only time went to service center because they asked me to bring in. Wanted to check suspension and battery breather. One thing I like about Tesla is they only fix what’s wrong, no up selling expensive service that is not really needed, unlike the Toyota dealership, where a simple 30 dollar oil change can turn into a huge bill because the stealership recommendation is to do expensive service not recommended by Toyota. When our model x went for repair, they fixed what was wrong, that was it.

I had mostly Mercedes cars for years and they did charge a very high price for their service. We did use Mercedes coupons for significant discounts off of their high prices. We eventually switched to new BMW’s and experienced unbelievably good service that was far above our expectations. Bmw fixes any defects including minor trim wear that Tesla says is normal and we have never paid a dime for anything under BMW warranty. We have had virtually no defects on our current BMW’s and the paint/body/interior and overall fitment is on an entirely different level of quality. Tesla service was better a few years ago and I believe the volume of 3’s has stressed them to where they can’t deliver at a quality level anymore. We also bought a new Lexus RX450h hybrid a few years ago and it was a really nice car, I understand why the RX350 (gas) is their best seller. We had excellent service from Lexus and will likely buy another RX in a heartbeat if they eventually go full electric. We are admittedly spoiled because for the last 20 years have only purchased new high end automobiles. We do love our Tesla performance cars and overlook their small deficiencies but think the overall purchase/service experience is nowhere near the dealer/customer experience from traditional high end dealers.