Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center experience: trading my 3 in for a Mercedes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Real talk here: as someone who has yet to purchase a Tesla: would I have to physically drive my car the 100km+ it would take in heavy traffic to the service center? That would be a complete deal breaker for me.

I’m from BC here if that helps. I avoid Vancouver whenever possible.

If it doesn't require a lift it's possible a mobile tech can come to you- but that would depend on if you're in "range" of one and I don't know of a way to "know" that in advance off hand.... possibly you can ask in the regional forum for where you live to see if anyone near you knows that or not.

If it DOES require a lift, yes you'd have to go go the service center.

Reactions: Jest
Real talk here: as someone who has yet to purchase a Tesla: would I have to physically drive my car the 100km+ it would take in heavy traffic to the service center? That would be a complete deal breaker for me.

I’m from BC here if that helps. I avoid Vancouver whenever possible.
Where are you? Service in Victoria is ranger plus borrowed bays at Ferny's. I am scheduled for a hw3 upgrade in mid-March here.

Lemur 2019.03

Reactions: AlanSqB
I’ve learned to ignore people who vote disagree without commenting on what they disagree with. If they are too lazy to tell you what they disagree with their feedback doesn’t add any real value, so why bother wasting time on them.

Do you similarly seek information about why people agree with your post? I disagreed with your post because it’s disingenuous to only seek positive affirmations but call people who disagree with your statement lazy when they don’t state why they disagree.

Yeah- I pointed out to him earlier his Honda doesn't have half the stuff he thinks it does (or he doesn't understand what the Tesla has- either way).... but on blind spot honda genuinely is better for 2 reasons- 1 fixable and 1 not-

Honda displays the side camera when you turn on your turn signal.

This is fixable (and indeed Elon has mentioned fixing it) with an OTA update on a Tesla.... they just haven't released it yet- but every Tesla since late 2016 has the HW to do it.

Honda also has rear radar so it can do legit cross-traffic blind spot alerting. Tesla can't- it lacks the HW. The Tesla "fix" for this is to back into spots so you're never backing out... auto-park backs into spots for that very reason.... and doing so is objectively safer when leaving a spot (regardless of safety systems).... but OTOH backing in in a very busy lot can be challenging when you pull past a space to back into it and someone pulls right behind you because it's crowded.

This has nothing to do with service of course- but I do find the lack of rear radar at least a tiny bit surprising for a car that thinks it has all the HW it needs for FSD.

I agree elon would have made his life easier had he included at least a wide angle rear radar, if not cross traffic pointing radars. I also agree this guy is off his nut lol.

However, I don't think showing a camera view is an improvement. To each their own, but my experience with several different BS monitors (see what I did there) is that they beep or vibrate or whatever all the friggin' time, presumably because their lawyers wanted them to be 'cautious'. To me it just makes it more noise during maneuvers. Flashing cameras at me will just add to the distraction. I just want the car to not let me hit stuff (i.e. be confident enough to steer away from something), which my single data point has shown the M3 does with an adequate (and hopefully improving with time) accuracy using cameras and maybe UT.

I had mostly Mercedes cars for years and they did charge a very high price for their service. We did use Mercedes coupons for significant discounts off of their high prices. We eventually switched to new BMW’s and experienced unbelievably good service that was far above our expectations. Bmw fixes any defects including minor trim wear that Tesla says is normal and we have never paid a dime for anything under BMW warranty. We have had virtually no defects on our current BMW’s and the paint/body/interior and overall fitment is on an entirely different level of quality. Tesla service was better a few years ago and I believe the volume of 3’s has stressed them to where they can’t deliver at a quality level anymore. We also bought a new Lexus RX450h hybrid a few years ago and it was a really nice car, I understand why the RX350 (gas) is their best seller. We had excellent service from Lexus and will likely buy another RX in a heartbeat if they eventually go full electric. We are admittedly spoiled because for the last 20 years have only purchased new high end automobiles. We do love our Tesla performance cars and overlook their small deficiencies but think the overall purchase/service experience is nowhere near the dealer/customer experience from traditional high end dealers.
Lucky you didn’t live in New Jersey. No way would BMWs around here give you that impression.

Number one thing Tesla should improve is how you communicate with your clients. Tesla is the ONLY company of any kind which cancelled my appointment without even trying to clarify what my problem is. This is not helpful to me at all. Here is an example (attached). In this case, no one even bothered to respond me at all.

Now, Tesla said that the service will never be a profit center. Great. But because of that, we instead became an extra cost - talk time, etc. all became something to optimize. So the whole ‘scrappy company’ philosophy which works internally at Tesla becomes transferred to Tesla customers. Well, as a Tesla customer, I don’t want to be treated as a Tesla employee in that regard.

Attachments

• 60CA9364-AF97-4273-A765-9C81A9857B2F.jpeg
    60CA9364-AF97-4273-A765-9C81A9857B2F.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 80
Ford let my wife pick up our F150 with no power steering.... and it went in for an oil change and state inspection... then, after almost getting into a wreck pulling out of the dealership, they told her they’d be happy to look at it for a diagnostic fee of $150...

Service at Tesla could be better, but i don’t think it is significant worse than other manufacturers.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I live in central PA. I genuinely love the local bmw dealer. Best service i have ever had from any business, ever.
The car broke a lot.

the local tesla service people in lancaster are responsive and friendly. No complaints.

The car does not break a lot. So far.

i think it depends on where you live as the OP mentioned.

For those of you beating him/her up for not tolerating terrible service. Stop. You sound like pathetic sycophants. Expect more from Tesla. Stop making excuses for them.

Reactions: jfinephilly
I live in central PA. I genuinely love the local bmw dealer. Best service i have ever had from any business, ever.
The car broke a lot.

the local tesla service people in lancaster are responsive and friendly. No complaints.

For those of you beating him/her up for not tolerating terrible service. Stop. You sound like pathetic sycophants. Expect more from Tesla. Stop making excuses for them.

And to be clear, I LOVE my Tesla and am a huge fan of what they are doing in general. I am not, however, a lemming.

The car broke a lot.

Apologies for the hijack, but I’m also in central PA, and the Lancaster service location would be my closest SC.

I’d be curious to hear your experiences at this location so far as the service situation is the only thing giving me second thoughts of switching to Tesla.

Also, if you don’t mind where did you take delivery? I stopped in at the Owings Mills location, but was curious about Devon as well.

Apologies for the hijack, but I’m also in central PA, and the Lancaster service location would be my closest SC.

I’d be curious to hear your experiences at this location so far as the service situation is the only thing giving me second thoughts of switching to Tesla.

Also, if you don’t mind where did you take delivery? I stopped in at the Owings Mills location, but was curious about Devon as well.

service is highly dependent on location. I don’t see many Teslas in central PA, and service is fine. We got the car in Devon and I was happy with the experience. Given your location, service should be a reason TO buy one, not a reason to walk away.