Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Experience - Warning to others & Advice/Opinion welcomed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kev1n

Nov 17, 2016
SF Bay Area
I have been quite understanding and patient with Burlingame Service Center up until my last visit to them a few weeks ago.

I will start with trying to be unbiased and explain the story. my opinion will follow below.

After having my coolant heat exchanger replaced, when i got in the car, i noticed the silver ring on my drive stalk was cracked in half and dangling and a rubber garment was missing under the frunk where they worked on.

I asked them what happened and their answer to me is that the car came like that. they were also quite aggressive with their wording saying things to me like "every time you bring in your car, something always goes wrong. this doesn't happen to anyone else".

here is a list of service history I have with the service center. This is for 2 Model S's in the past 3 years.

P85:
1. Steering wheel was replaced under warranty due to abnormal wear, the replaced steering wheel was not put on straight by the tech (you had to point the wheel at 2o clock to drive straight, revisit was required to resolve)

2. Passenger mirror motor stopped working, wrong part was put in and mirror didn’t work at all, correct part needed to be ordered and had to come back again.

3. Drive unit making weird sounds, drive unit was replaced. Upon getting the car back, the car no longer drives straight. Revisit required to perform alignment (why wasn’t this already done in the first place if you’re going to drop the rear subframe of the car?)

4. Panoroof motor stopped working and was replaced without issues

5. Car throwing errors while supercharging, charge port replaced without issue

6. TPMS sensor system giving faults, replaced without issue

P85D:
1. Driver rear passenger door auto presenting handle was getting stuck, needed to be re-greased, upon getting the car back, you no longer can open the door from the inside. Revisit required.

2. Scroll wheel button stopped working, upon getting the car back, the back of steering wheel trim was smashed into place/deformed (why are techs forcing parts into place if they do not fit? They could not get it back to looking normal so they had to replace the whole steering wheel, and upon getting the car back a second time, the horn no longer worked. Another revisit was required.

3. Rear spoiler replaced due to fading, new spoiler put on lopsided. associate manager at the time even brought out the templates that the techs are supposed to use to put on the spoiler so that it goes on straight to confirm and it was confirmed lopsided as the template did not even fit in place. the tech did not use the template to put on the spoiler. revisit required. current new spoiler they gave me has defects in the resin where it is peeling off exposing bare carbon fiber and they agreed to order me a new one.

4. Internet cutting in and out, modem was replaced, car returned with damage dash panel trim and a very bad rattle. I was told if tech used too much force, the trim gets damaged during removal. This issue still isn’t resolved and it has been about 2 years now. I keep getting told that we are still “waiting” for the part to arrive.

5. Leather panel on Driver Front B pillar and Passenger Rear C pillar leather was lifting and they agreed to replace it under warranty, both new parts they replaced it with came damaged. also upon replacement, the part has been revised with a new look so they agreed to replace the other two as well to match.

I email them every few months to get an update on the parts, i am told, "parts didnt pass QC", "parts hasnt arrived yet", "still waiting for parts". it has been 2 years now and we are still waiting for parts

After exchanging emails with the Service Manager at this location due to most recent visit, he is now saying no further actions will be taken to replace or repair the items I have listed above with no explanation.

here is my voice on the situation:
after waiting 2 years, now they tell me they will not honor repairs/replacement of parts that were obviously damaged by their techs. is this some kind of joke?

Seeing there isn't even a bit of improvement for the care of the cars they work on after 3 years is just pretty sad. This is ridiculous that i cannot bring my car into a service center and expect them to return my car back in the same condition. do i really have to take photos of every square inch of the car at drop off as proof? i find this to be really unacceptable. We work hard to own and maintain our personal cars and they dont uphold any standards on how their employees should treat our cars when its in their possession.

on top of that, it is like rolling a dice to see if my car will come back with the problem resolved/any new issues/any new damage caused while trying to fix the original problem

Am i really at a wrong here to expect a certain level of standard and professional customer service?

I'd like to warn everyone to stay away if you care about your car and looking for advice/opinion.

If anyone has connections or contact with corporate, please reach out, i greatly appreciate it. thank you

• Informative
Reactions: Science fan
You seem to have an unfortunate long string of problems. Not your fault, and you deserve better. I suggest you need to find a different SC...even if you have to drive out of state. Visit first and bring donuts, hope for the best. The car is worth it.

I should mention I often regret taking my cars to the dealer. Acura and esp Lexus have damaged things and also refused on occasion to do warranty work that was promised.

My biggest gripe with Tesla is the lack of a traditional service manual and a real parts Dept. Having said that, dealers of high end cars don't want you working on them it seems.

You seem to have an unfortunate long string of problems. Not your fault, and you deserve better. I suggest you need to find a different SC...even if you have to drive out of state. Visit first and bring donuts, hope for the best. The car is worth it.

I should mention I often regret taking my cars to the dealer. Acura and esp Lexus have damaged things and also refused on occasion to do warranty work that was promised.

My biggest gripe with Tesla is the lack of a traditional service manual and a real parts Dept. Having said that, dealers of high end cars don't want you working on them it seems.

to be honest, i was reluctant to take my car in for the most recent visit and was going to bring it to another service center but i didnt want to be left with a car that wouldnt start so i took it to the closest one. i am not doubting Tesla's are great cars but the service is just terrible in my view.

what is really strange to me is that they should fix what they damaged, especially when 2 years back at the time, they admitted fault and said they would resolve it. now 2 years later telling me that they wont honor it. it just all sounds like a joke especially when there is also an air bag recall they havnt taken care of since they were waiting for dash part to come in first. are they not going to do the recall either then? lol

No, and no...did not notice it for quite some time, and under "CPO"warranty for some time...

sadly after all that has happened, i always do a complete check of all areas they worked on before i leave the lot every time.

If you find a good service center in the Bay Area, let me know.

As I said in another thread, if I get the car back less broken than when I brought it, I'm happy.

No such luck in Palo Alto or Sunnyvale.

lol if you can, leave a reply with your issues and at which service center, we need to get the word out to people so they are aware of what they are getting themselves into

anyone reading this thread should also chime in. i see a lot of views but no posts. we cant be the only ones experiencing issues.

As for your experience, you have WAY more patience than me, Sir. After 2 revisits I would have been flipping over desks. That sounds crazy what you have gone through there.

I have only taken my car in once. I took it to Vista, CA. I had a popping noise coming from the passenger side dash where it meets the windshield. The tech drove with me and the noise was duplicated. They checked the car in, gave me a 2018 MS 75D (they said warranty issue and they always give me a loaner) with their onsite Enterprise, and I was on my way. They called me that afternoon saying it was done and I could come in any time between then and the morning to pick it up. Every person I dealt with was extremely pleasant, went out of their way to shake hands and help move things from my car to the loaner etc. Very very nice staff. And the popping noise went away and has never returned. I did notice a while after that I have a crack on the figured ash dash panel to the left of the steering wheel. I notice little things like that and I really don't think I went a month or better without seeing it. Maybe it got stressed from the R/R and cracked a while later. I don't think it cracked when he was working on it, because I inspected my dash when I got the car back. The leather looks great and no buckling. I was a tech for BMW before I went into medicine, so I am pretty picky.

I was a little off-put that they don't wash the cars or charge them, at least on request. There is a delivery center there with chargers and chargers for the rentals. My charge was REALLY low when I brought it in, so when I asked for it, a little charge wouldn't have hurt. But I'm probably just being spoiled. But when you spend $100k on a car you expect a little, right? The Dodge dealer where I bought my Ram washes it every time I go in, and 3 or 4 times the service manager had the porter drive it to the corner and fill up the tank for me. I have never once asked them to wash it or give me gas. He just said he noticed it was low and wanted to take care of me. In fact, I went to look at a Gladiator and they took my truck and washed it and filled it up while I was on a test drive. I don't expect that service everywhere, but if Dodge can go that extra mile? C'mon.

I have a friend who's taken his Model S to the Burlingame SC and has had nothing but bad luck. Was even told there was no know fix for the yellow band that had developed around his touch screen, well after the UV fix was developed and being performed routinely.

I'm sure it's a hike for you, but I've found the quality of service at the Rocklin location to be pretty decent. Service advisers are friendly (and they fixed my buddy's screen).

Good luck. Hopefully, at some point service quality will be come a high priority for Tesla. They have a long way to go.

Take this advise----- Always take detailed video of your car inside and out when dropping off at a service center.

I will probably start doing that but it honestly shouldnt have to even come to this. whats even crazier is that the service manager is telling me that they do a through check in and check out process and confirmed my car was given back to me in the same condition but i just smell bs

As for your experience, you have WAY more patience than me, Sir. After 2 revisits I would have been flipping over desks. That sounds crazy what you have gone through there.

I have only taken my car in once. I took it to Vista, CA. I had a popping noise coming from the passenger side dash where it meets the windshield. The tech drove with me and the noise was duplicated. They checked the car in, gave me a 2018 MS 75D (they said warranty issue and they always give me a loaner) with their onsite Enterprise, and I was on my way. They called me that afternoon saying it was done and I could come in any time between then and the morning to pick it up. Every person I dealt with was extremely pleasant, went out of their way to shake hands and help move things from my car to the loaner etc. Very very nice staff. And the popping noise went away and has never returned. I did notice a while after that I have a crack on the figured ash dash panel to the left of the steering wheel. I notice little things like that and I really don't think I went a month or better without seeing it. Maybe it got stressed from the R/R and cracked a while later. I don't think it cracked when he was working on it, because I inspected my dash when I got the car back. The leather looks great and no buckling. I was a tech for BMW before I went into medicine, so I am pretty picky.

I was a little off-put that they don't wash the cars or charge them, at least on request. There is a delivery center there with chargers and chargers for the rentals. My charge was REALLY low when I brought it in, so when I asked for it, a little charge wouldn't have hurt. But I'm probably just being spoiled. But when you spend $100k on a car you expect a little, right? The Dodge dealer where I bought my Ram washes it every time I go in, and 3 or 4 times the service manager had the porter drive it to the corner and fill up the tank for me. I have never once asked them to wash it or give me gas. He just said he noticed it was low and wanted to take care of me. In fact, I went to look at a Gladiator and they took my truck and washed it and filled it up while I was on a test drive. I don't expect that service everywhere, but if Dodge can go that extra mile? C'mon.

Not having your car washed, and avoiding scratches in the paint, is just another way Tesla is leading the field....

I have a friend who's taken his Model S to the Burlingame SC and has had nothing but bad luck. Was even told there was no know fix for the yellow band that had developed around his touch screen, well after the UV fix was developed and being performed routinely.

I'm sure it's a hike for you, but I've found the quality of service at the Rocklin location to be pretty decent. Service advisers are friendly (and they fixed my buddy's screen).

Good luck. Hopefully, at some point service quality will be come a high priority for Tesla. They have a long way to go.

I was patient because i understood the growing pains that tesla has and know they are a "new" company and also previously, they were owning up to their mistake and told me they would fix all the issues/problems they caused to my car. The previous manager knew that not all their techs were good but the current one is just like "no, my techs would never do that etc" its really just a joke that now, 2 years later, they tell me they wont resolve issues caused 2 years ago when this whole time they tell me that they are still waiting on parts to arrive.

i actually decline the car wash every time, Burlingame uses the automatic wash near by. no ty

i definitely have ran into some nice staff here, i can count about 5 off the top of my head throughout the 3 years ive visited but it looks like they either let them go or they quit. the only ones that that seem to have stuck around are the ones you dont want to work with. pretty interesting to think about after you mentioned it to me.