Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center loaned me a 75D...I love it (comparing Model 3 to Model S)

jordanair45

2019 Model 3 SR+ w/ FSD
Mar 28, 2012
Bay Area
Anyone else go from the 3 to the S?

I like the size of the S, the seats on the S are better (the un-breathability of the 3 seats makes me uncomfortably hot), ride is smoother on the S, steering is less responsive than the 3, and the interior feels a little outdated compared to the 3, but it is a fine car...

I do not like the big steering wheel of the S. I do love the huge screen, but I do not like the instrument panel (prefer the all in one screen of the 3).

I'm thinking about going S. The only reason I wouldn't, is because all the cars in the service centers were either S or X.

animorph

Apr 1, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Sounds fair enough. The S is too big for me as a daily local driver, but would be good for a long freeway commute. Our X is for road trips and the 3 is for local trips.

If it was an old S it might have had leather seats. Otherwise they will be the same material as the 3. I'm not sure they would breath any better, though maybe the seams would allow more airflow?

• Informative
Reactions: BonnieD

azjohn

Oct 12, 2018
Virginia
Anyone else go from the 3 to the S?

I like the size of the S, the seats on the S are better (the un-breathability of the 3 seats makes me uncomfortably hot), ride is smoother on the S, steering is less responsive than the 3, and the interior feels a little outdated compared to the 3, but it is a fine car...

I do not like the big steering wheel of the S. I do love the huge screen, but I do not like the instrument panel (prefer the all in one screen of the 3).

I'm thinking about going S. The only reason I wouldn't, is because all the cars in the service centers were either S or X.
I would suggest renting a MS for a week/ weekend and see how you like it after driving for a while

flynryan

Nov 25, 2018
so cal
I just did the same thing a also go a loaner 75d.
Felt just as fast
smoother on the highway
instrument cluster seemed to busy for me
didnt have full leather only partial
range not nearly as good
stereo system not as good
model 3 seems more like a sports car in my opinion

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
I could never understand the substantial price difference between the Model S and the Model 3. It just doesn’t seem like you are getting that much more car in the S to justify spending an extra $40K+ on it.

Probably the 3 is the obvious choice but in my case, for the same budget, I'm shopping for a used S.

I like the overall looks more, the hatch, the door handles, the quieter interior and smoother ride. All these add up and a new 3 isn't such a great choice anymore.

MichaelP90DL

Apr 19, 2019
Lancaster, CA
Sounds fair enough. The S is too big for me as a daily local driver, but would be good for a long freeway commute. Our X is for road trips and the 3 is for local trips.

If it was an old S it might have had leather seats. Otherwise they will be the same material as the 3. I'm not sure they would breath any better, though maybe the seams would allow more airflow?
I thought my S might be too big, since I actually prefer small cars. But I love it.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
I just did the same thing a also go a loaner 75d.
Felt just as fast
smoother on the highway
instrument cluster seemed to busy for me
didnt have full leather only partial
range not nearly as good
stereo system not as good
model 3 seems more like a sports car in my opinion

i agree sports vs cruiser. If 3 had a "tight" air suspension it would be perfect

Reactions: T3SLAROD

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I could never understand the substantial price difference between the Model S and the Model 3. It just doesn’t seem like you are getting that much more car in the S to justify spending an extra $40K+ on it.
$40k+ difference is a bit misleading. We have a 12/2016 75S and a 2/2018 LR RWD 3 and the price difference — both new — was less than $20k. The trim level and battery are pretty comparable. I realize Tesla no longer makes the “entry level” S though, but there are surely some very lightly used 75S’ around.

My wife much prefers the S and for long distance I agree. But for buzzing around the mean streets of Phoenix, the nimbler 3 is my choice.

Last edited:

jordanair45

2019 Model 3 SR+ w/ FSD
Mar 28, 2012
Bay Area
Just picked up my 3 from the shop.

The model s is the better car. 3 felt like a toy car in comparison.

Damn.......lol

Maybe I'll make the switch, want to check out the Y still

Reactions: cucubits

Hot Cha

Aug 25, 2019
Wisconsin
I had a loaner S and while it was nice, it didn’t feel as nimble as my SR+. As has already been stated, the controls are busy and took some time getting used to it.

Nothing about the S made me feel like I had the lesser of the Tesla lineup. I was happy to get my SR+ back.

Reactions: Sherlo

Legen---dary

Feb 17, 2013
Canaduh
I wish they'd stop production of the S/X for 2 years and focus on the B/Y/3/Semi for now.
Bring the S/X back as 2022 models that are a complete refresh. Much more like the 3 IMHO would be a better design.
Put the extra $$ into more batteries -- 500 mile range -- and moveable/multiple screens, active suspension, V2G etc.
The S feels so old and cramped, with bad visibility, and the X too quirky (though it's far more comfy than the S).

Reactions: MacGreiner

jamnmon66

Apr 10, 2018
Brighton, CO
I got a loaner S75d recently. I really liked it. Not more or less than my LR RWD 3... just different. It was definitely faster in a straight line but not as nimble. A little more comfortable ride & definitely quieter. Not worth the extra $$ to me but definitely a cool car. Made me wish I had waited for a dual motor 3, though, for the extra power. It's got me thinking about a P3D-. Can't really afford the upgrade right now. Maybe in a few years.

David L

Jun 26, 2016
San Diego, CA
I had the opposite experience and couldn't wait to get out of my S loaner, which I drove for about 2 weeks (early 3 needed body fixes). Numb handling, poor visibility, important parts of front screen blocked by steering wheel, dim headlights, climate control off by several degrees, nonlinear brake pedal, not enough range of motion at lower output powers in the accelerator pedal, and awkward/lacking storage. On the plus side, it's smoother/quieter for sure and the trunk is massive. The S is in dire need of a refresh.

RB88

Mar 18, 2019
Seattle, WA
Also had a loaner recently, a 90 actually! Not sure which year it was tho.

I prefer my 3 (AWD) overall.

S was bigger, bulkier and felt heavier in turns/general driving. I’m from the UK originally and used to smaller cars, so the 3 is big enough and the S was way too bulk. My condo garage has a tight parking spot and it was even more stressful in the S

Thought I’d love having the main instrument panel but actually I missed the single screen of the 3. The centre display in the S seemed kind of pointless (and boy was it lower resolution compared to the 3 - though probably this was an older model).

pros tho - immediately turned on ludicrous and loved the acceleration. Felt more “planted” than the 3 and less weird creaks/rattles.

--1--

Apr 10, 2019
Chester, VA
:(I had a 2015 Model S 85D for two days. Seemed old and unrefined. When I picked up my P3D. It felt new, refined, nimble, and wonderful. I love the Model 3 simple dash and horizonal display.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC