Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center loaned me a 75D...I love it (comparing Model 3 to Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jordanair45

2019 Model 3 SR+ w/ FSD
Mar 28, 2012
Bay Area
Listings
Anyone else go from the 3 to the S?

I like the size of the S, the seats on the S are better (the un-breathability of the 3 seats makes me uncomfortably hot), ride is smoother on the S, steering is less responsive than the 3, and the interior feels a little outdated compared to the 3, but it is a fine car...

I do not like the big steering wheel of the S. I do love the huge screen, but I do not like the instrument panel (prefer the all in one screen of the 3).

I'm thinking about going S. The only reason I wouldn't, is because all the cars in the service centers were either S or X.

Sounds fair enough. The S is too big for me as a daily local driver, but would be good for a long freeway commute. Our X is for road trips and the 3 is for local trips.

If it was an old S it might have had leather seats. Otherwise they will be the same material as the 3. I'm not sure they would breath any better, though maybe the seams would allow more airflow?

• Informative
Reactions: BonnieD
Anyone else go from the 3 to the S?

I like the size of the S, the seats on the S are better (the un-breathability of the 3 seats makes me uncomfortably hot), ride is smoother on the S, steering is less responsive than the 3, and the interior feels a little outdated compared to the 3, but it is a fine car...

I do not like the big steering wheel of the S. I do love the huge screen, but I do not like the instrument panel (prefer the all in one screen of the 3).

I'm thinking about going S. The only reason I wouldn't, is because all the cars in the service centers were either S or X.
I would suggest renting a MS for a week/ weekend and see how you like it after driving for a while

I could never understand the substantial price difference between the Model S and the Model 3. It just doesn’t seem like you are getting that much more car in the S to justify spending an extra $40K+ on it.

Probably the 3 is the obvious choice but in my case, for the same budget, I'm shopping for a used S.

I like the overall looks more, the hatch, the door handles, the quieter interior and smoother ride. All these add up and a new 3 isn't such a great choice anymore.

Sounds fair enough. The S is too big for me as a daily local driver, but would be good for a long freeway commute. Our X is for road trips and the 3 is for local trips.

If it was an old S it might have had leather seats. Otherwise they will be the same material as the 3. I'm not sure they would breath any better, though maybe the seams would allow more airflow?
I thought my S might be too big, since I actually prefer small cars. But I love it.

I just did the same thing a also go a loaner 75d.
Felt just as fast
smoother on the highway
instrument cluster seemed to busy for me
didnt have full leather only partial
range not nearly as good
stereo system not as good
model 3 seems more like a sports car in my opinion

i agree sports vs cruiser. If 3 had a "tight" air suspension it would be perfect

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I could never understand the substantial price difference between the Model S and the Model 3. It just doesn’t seem like you are getting that much more car in the S to justify spending an extra $40K+ on it.
$40k+ difference is a bit misleading. We have a 12/2016 75S and a 2/2018 LR RWD 3 and the price difference — both new — was less than $20k. The trim level and battery are pretty comparable. I realize Tesla no longer makes the “entry level” S though, but there are surely some very lightly used 75S’ around.

My wife much prefers the S and for long distance I agree. But for buzzing around the mean streets of Phoenix, the nimbler 3 is my choice.

Last edited:
I had a loaner S and while it was nice, it didn’t feel as nimble as my SR+. As has already been stated, the controls are busy and took some time getting used to it.

Nothing about the S made me feel like I had the lesser of the Tesla lineup. I was happy to get my SR+ back.

Reactions: Sherlo
I wish they'd stop production of the S/X for 2 years and focus on the B/Y/3/Semi for now.
Bring the S/X back as 2022 models that are a complete refresh. Much more like the 3 IMHO would be a better design.
Put the extra $$ into more batteries -- 500 mile range -- and moveable/multiple screens, active suspension, V2G etc.
The S feels so old and cramped, with bad visibility, and the X too quirky (though it's far more comfy than the S).

Reactions: MacGreiner
I got a loaner S75d recently. I really liked it. Not more or less than my LR RWD 3... just different. It was definitely faster in a straight line but not as nimble. A little more comfortable ride & definitely quieter. Not worth the extra $$ to me but definitely a cool car. Made me wish I had waited for a dual motor 3, though, for the extra power. It's got me thinking about a P3D-. Can't really afford the upgrade right now. Maybe in a few years.

I had the opposite experience and couldn't wait to get out of my S loaner, which I drove for about 2 weeks (early 3 needed body fixes). Numb handling, poor visibility, important parts of front screen blocked by steering wheel, dim headlights, climate control off by several degrees, nonlinear brake pedal, not enough range of motion at lower output powers in the accelerator pedal, and awkward/lacking storage. On the plus side, it's smoother/quieter for sure and the trunk is massive. The S is in dire need of a refresh.

Also had a loaner recently, a 90 actually! Not sure which year it was tho.

I prefer my 3 (AWD) overall.

S was bigger, bulkier and felt heavier in turns/general driving. I’m from the UK originally and used to smaller cars, so the 3 is big enough and the S was way too bulk. My condo garage has a tight parking spot and it was even more stressful in the S

Thought I’d love having the main instrument panel but actually I missed the single screen of the 3. The centre display in the S seemed kind of pointless (and boy was it lower resolution compared to the 3 - though probably this was an older model).

pros tho - immediately turned on ludicrous and loved the acceleration. Felt more “planted” than the 3 and less weird creaks/rattles.