Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center miscommunication

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had this message when car is on a service for noise and other issues?

oncern: Wind noise - customer states: The wind noise of the car is becoming to excessive its hurting my ears now I
thought it was normal its not.
Also there's a draught coming in through the drivers side probably related to the noise issue. - 30MPH on drivers side
Roadtested vehicle, no wind noise found at 30mph nor at motorway speeds. Tested using omni sonic tool for gaps where
wind/noise can leak into vehicle. Windows found to be tight fitting and within tolerances any noted noise were within Model
3 tolerances. normal wind buffeting noise at motorway speeds NON noted at 30mph
Correction: Seal - Body - Side - Front - Primary - RH (Remove & Replace)

No I don't beleive this the cars loud my music has to be turned up on motorway drives to more than 50 60 percent such that we then need to shout to hear one another.

Then to top it of I don't believe they went anywhere. My tesla fi drive trak says it sat at Manchester service all Friday afternoon all weekend and all Monday and all Tuesday till they delivers it to me.
I see this on both the map and the charge record.
In comparison to the loaner car I got its shockingly loud.

The problem seems to be that "normal" Tesla standards for things like noise are pretty poor, so poor that many manufacturers just wouldn't tolerate the "normal" level of wind noise the Model 3 creates. It does seem to be as much a design problem as a fit and finish problem, though. Evidence from all the various silencing kits around, and the lengths some have gone to in order to try and make the car quieter are evidence of this. The car is definitely noisy, particularly wind noise from the side of the car, very noticeable at any speed over about 40 to 50mph on my car, and enough to make motorway driving less pleasant than any other car I've owned in the last 20 years or so. Even the SLK I owned around the turn of the century created less wind noise, and that car wasn't known for being quiet, due to the folding roof design.

I may have been spoiled through many years of driving a pretty quiet car in terms of wind and road noise, various models of Prius, but I didn't expect a £50k-plus car like the Model 3 to be quite so uncivilised. Mine's been back to have the driver's door glass adjusted, which made a difference, but not a massive one. I suspect that Tesla know exactly what the noise problem is, and it may be that this is why they've now switched to double glazed side windows on the newer Model 3s. If it is a design, rather than assembly, problem, then it seems unlikely that they will sort it out under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3 and Durzel
When I had my door handle refitted recently (was wrong from factory) the ranger had to take the glass out to get to it. He needed a couple of attempts for it to be straight and to get it to seal properly, and being frameless it is never going to be particularly tight anyway. There are adjustments screws where it fits to adjust it inwards and outwards (i.e. pressing on rubber seal more). I suspect there is quite a few ways to introduce an air gap at various points with such tolerance and adjustment range available.

Also to echo the above when in service the car is essentially offline as far as TeslaFi etc are concerned. Dashcam and Sentry are disabled also.

How loud are we talking here exactly?

Do you have access to a decibel meter?

Loud enough to affect conversation at speeds of around 60 to 70mph, at least in my car. I get wind noise from around the driver's side window, seems to be coming from the upper rear edge, but that might be just illusory, as that's the bit closest to my right ear. The noise definitely varies if you push on the glass, slight pressure outwards increases it, nothing seems to decrease it. The SC adjusted the glass so it makes better contact with the seal (mine was so bad it was leaking in water), but did say that it was now as tight as they could get it. I suspect it's related to being frameless, with only a limited amount of stiffness in the glass to allow it to press tightly to the seals.

Reactions: OneTinyFish
Has anyone else had this message when car is on a service for noise and other issues?

oncern: Wind noise - customer states: The wind noise of the car is becoming to excessive its hurting my ears now I
thought it was normal its not.
Also there's a draught coming in through the drivers side probably related to the noise issue. - 30MPH on drivers side
Roadtested vehicle, no wind noise found at 30mph nor at motorway speeds. Tested using omni sonic tool for gaps where
wind/noise can leak into vehicle. Windows found to be tight fitting and within tolerances any noted noise were within Model
3 tolerances. normal wind buffeting noise at motorway speeds NON noted at 30mph
Correction: Seal - Body - Side - Front - Primary - RH (Remove & Replace)

No I don't beleive this the cars loud my music has to be turned up on motorway drives to more than 50 60 percent such that we then need to shout to hear one another.

Then to top it of I don't believe they went anywhere. My tesla fi drive trak says it sat at Manchester service all Friday afternoon all weekend and all Monday and all Tuesday till they delivers it to me.
I see this on both the map and the charge record.
In comparison to the loaner car I got its shockingly loud.
Yes. It’s Tesla’s way of telling you to piss off.
They are simply unable to address road/wind noise issues due to the poor build quality.

Some folks notice it more than others. A lot of it has to do with what type of vehicle you are coming from previously. The Toyota crowd generally does not seem to mind. The Merc/BMW crowd knows what a proper cabin should sound like (or not sound like).

Best piece of advice I can give is use painters tape around all the seals to help you identify where the leak is. Then you can directly point it out to the Service team next time and see if you can get them to do anything about it. You also have the option of taking it to a proper shop.

Odd that they are introducing double glazed front glass, I can't see that making much difference given the noise is really from windows not fitting well against the seals. I personally can't stand frameless doors having suffered the same nonsense with windows freezing up in a VW Scirocco. It makes opening the door a complete ballache during the winter when they freeze and refuse to drop. I expect the window motors are also being damaged trying to force the stuck window down. Hopefully Tesla will tweak the design in future models and revert to proven quiet doors with fully framed windows.

It is natural to blame the SC, but when you're trying to fix a design that is fundamentally flawed, they/you are between a rock and a hard place.

Yes. It’s Tesla’s way of telling you to piss off.
They are simply unable to address road/wind noise issues due to the poor build quality.

Some folks notice it more than others. A lot of it has to do with what type of vehicle you are coming from previously. The Toyota crowd generally does not seem to mind. The Merc/BMW crowd knows what a proper cabin should sound like (or not sound like).

I've come to tesla from a string of 50k 3 series BMWs with no complaints about noise. To your surprise my model 3 LR is no louder at any speed I've travelled at & I've certainly exceeded the speed limit on ocasions however i read a lot of posts on this forum about noise while waiting for delivery.
So I ordered the rubber seal kit for the doors, boot & bonnet and glass roof ( I won't apologise for using english terminology) & fitted all but the bonnet seal before I'd driven more than 50 miles, so unfortunately I can't honestly say how much if any difference it has made.
I don't have a sound meter but if someone with a noisy car can suggest a android app that we can both use I'm willing to take measurements to compare.
And no there's nothing wrong with my hearing, in fact i have very good hearing, so if my vehicle is not quieter then obviously my beamers have not been particularly quiet either.
In fairness I have detected slight noise from the rear top corner of the drivers door window at motorway speeds when experiencing a cross wind.

I've come to tesla from a string of 50k 3 series BMWs with no complaints about noise. To your surprise my model 3 LR is no louder at any speed I've travelled at & I've certainly exceeded the speed limit on ocasions however i read a lot of posts on this forum about noise while waiting for delivery.
So I ordered the rubber seal kit for the doors, boot & bonnet and glass roof ( I won't apologise for using english terminology) & fitted all but the bonnet seal before I'd driven more than 50 miles, so unfortunately I can't honestly say how much if any difference it has made.
I don't have a sound meter but if someone with a noisy car can suggest a android app that we can both use I'm willing to take measurements to compare.
And no there's nothing wrong with my hearing, in fact i have very good hearing, so if my vehicle is not quieter then obviously my beamers have not been particularly quiet either.
In fairness I have detected slight noise from the rear top corner of the drivers door window at motorway speeds when experiencing a cross wind.
3 Series Bimmers are not really known for being quiet.

Also, those door seal kits do absolutely nothing. Many people have SPL readings of before/after installs.

It's all relative. I had a Honda S2000 that was so noisy I wore my noise-canceling aviation headset on long trips. Still loved it.

Now I just switch my GN Resounds so that my hearing bias is directed to the wife-side of the car. Or not ;)