TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Service Center not stocking replacement tires?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by FerraraZ, Jul 5, 2017.

1. FerraraZ

FerraraZ Member

Sadly my Model S 75D hit a nail driving to fireworks yesterday for the 4th. I noticed pressure slowly leaving the tire so I parked in a safe location and made a call to roadside assistance. I was amazed at how quick the service was. They got my car towed to the nearest service center within an hour.

Received a call this morning from the service center informed me that the 19 inch Michelin's I was running is not in stock and they would need to order the part. It seems crazy to me that one flat tire has turned into a 2+ day ordeal in which the service center needs to order the part. On top of this, the roadside assistance notified me that they did not have a loaner tire they could come out and put on my vehicle.

Has anyone else experienced such a shortage even just for tires? I can understand the service center not stocking replacement parts but the capability to replace a tire needs to be there since these vehicles do not carry a spare.

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

#2 Tam, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Is there an option for patching instead of waiting for ordering a whole tire replacement?

3. FerraraZ

FerraraZ Member

From what I've gathered, Tesla Service Centers will not patch tires but only replace them. I should have had it towed to a nearby tire center whom would likely have patched the tire.

• Like x 1
  4. JRD1

JRD1 Member

They patched mine when I had a nail in it.

5. Tam

Tam Active Member

That's very confusing. I understand if the damage is at a location that is un-patchable but for a routine nail, there's a thread that it would cost

Nail in tire... SC said it will take $50 to patch it?

6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

• Like x 1
  7. Barry

Barry Member

Check with your local tire shops.

8. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

SC’s will patch IF the nail/screw isn’t too close to the sidewall. The caveat is what is too close \i/

9. FerraraZ

FerraraZ Member

I think everyone is missing the greater concern in that the Service Center should have stockpiles of replacement tires for situations such as this. I understand they offer the ranger service but this is more of a concern for when M3 is released. Shops don't always carry replacement parts but they can almost always procure and replace a tire within a day.

10. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

I also had a recent issue with out of stock tires at the SC. They basically told me to go to a tire store.

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

I had a screw in one tire (since delivery day) that ended up being in a non-repairable location (inner sidewall) of the tire. About a week after I got it replaced with a new tire, I got a leak in a different tire. Originally, I took it to Discount Tire and got their tire warranty certificates before they even looked at it. Once they looked at it, Discount Tire said it wasn't repairable and ordered a replacement. I needed to take my car into the Tesla Service Center for another issue so I dropped it off there a few days later. They took a look at it and were able to repair it. I cancelled the replacement tire from Discount Tire.

12. EVCarGUy

EVCarGUy Member

On a cross country drive, I needed a pair of 19" MXMs, and the Indy service center took me in with less than 24hr notice.

13. lagomorph

lagomorph Member

I've had two cases of tire damage, and both times Tesla had the OEM replacement tires in stock. They prioritize service appointments for these cases, so as @EVCarGUy noted, you can generally get in the same day to have tires replaced.

14. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

They don't really need to keep the tires in stock, but they ought to help get the tire from a local tire place.
    Really, it's just tires. But folks seem ready to pay extra for Tesla Service to change them, so be it.
    I'd rather they stock batteries and drive units.. and have the tire place down the street bring them tires as needed.

15. lagomorph

lagomorph Member

They will let you bring them from a 3rd party, provided they are the same make/model/size as OEM. This is what I ended up doing. Since I could wait a couple days for the tires to arrive from tirerack.com, it wasn't a big deal, and I saved quite a bit of money. But if I was in a pinch, I'd just pay Tesla's prices. The 21" Pilot PS2 tires on my car are not that common at local tire shops.

16. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I had to have Tesla special order the new Pilot PSS tires ... evidently they are backordered due to the special foam liner.
    Michelin Acoustic Technology

upload_2017-7-9_21-10-12.png

17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

• Like x 1