Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center or Body Shop for minor repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
Driving along in middle lane of 95 the other night, when suddenly, an 18wheeler ahead in the right lane appeared to have either dropped (maybe from the back of the cab/between the trailer? or run over a reddish bucket about the size of a fully intact orange Home Depot bucket. Either way, said bucket propelled itself directly in front of my Model S and I could not avoid. Was on autopilot with hand on wheel but it was night/raining and I saw said bucket at precisely the same time the red collision warning sound went off and braking began. But still slammed into said bucket. Was expecting the entire front bumper cover to be shredded but damage was limited to black protective underpanel, drivers side wheelwell liner, and some small damage to the front bumper cover in the form of two dents/indentations across the lower horizontal portion accompanying fine spider web type cracks in the paint by those two impact points.

Insurance has categorized it as comprehensive vs collision, as the obstacle definitely wasnt stationary and was unavoidable. So no insurance rate increase and only the $250 deductible. I suspect the SC will want to replace the entire front bumper cover. Not sure how a body shop would handle. Also has protective film which I will need to address separately. The wheelwell liner was pushed backwards and rubbing against the tire for a few miles, hence the hole. As seen in the pics, the remaining portion is tucked back into the bumper cover.

What say you? SC or body shop for fastest yet best repair?

Attachments

• B360DE33-AA5B-40B2-BFCF-26210E63C44C.jpeg
    B360DE33-AA5B-40B2-BFCF-26210E63C44C.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 92
  • E4FB46A8-CDAE-4A04-8610-A6CB02A8D631.jpeg
    E4FB46A8-CDAE-4A04-8610-A6CB02A8D631.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 51AFDCB2-0EB6-4877-9818-7F9D97ECA9F6.jpeg
    51AFDCB2-0EB6-4877-9818-7F9D97ECA9F6.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2F394ADD-28EC-4972-A03F-667BE196B0F4.jpeg
    2F394ADD-28EC-4972-A03F-667BE196B0F4.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 11AC17BB-DA8D-48FA-B459-F08EE0812ADB.jpeg
    11AC17BB-DA8D-48FA-B459-F08EE0812ADB.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 73
Service center won't touch that. You need to go to a collision center.

I had an experience recently that involved a "gravel shower" from a truck ahead of us on the freeway. One lucky rock just managed to pierce the radiator.

Also cracked the windshield, several rock chips on the hood, headlights, front bumper, etc. I was actually willing to live with the rest of the damage as my car is 4 years old with 110,000 freeway miles on it and already had its fair share of rock chips in the paint and windshield. Took it to the service center to have the radiator replaced and had a great conversation with them:

Me: My car is leaking coolant, I hit a rock and it punctured the radiator. I need a new radiator.

SC: Oh, so you hit something? You need to go to a collision center. We don't do that here.

Me: I mean, yes, I hit something, but all I want is for you to replace one discrete part.

SC: Yeah, but there might be other damage and we don't work on stuff like that.

Me: It was a rock, a little smaller than a golf ball. It hit the radiator. I need a new radiator.

SC: Here's the card of the body shop across town we use.

Me: ...

I could have kept fighting it I'm sure, but in the end took it to the body shop and they did a great job. I filed an insurance claim, paid my $1k deductible, and had $8k of work done to fix the radiator, repaint the hood/bumper, replace the headlights and windshield, etc. Was probably the right choice... the car looks brand new from the A pillar forward now.

IMG_4496.jpeg
IMG_4498.jpeg

annnd..you both are correct. Submitted pics via the TEsla app as part of the appointment request (I selected collision for the category), got a text that all but said "we REALLY dont want to deal with your car/that issue". (not exact words, but pretty much).

They stated they only replace bumper covers completely and that they dont do any form of INS discount. So they implied that the insurance payout would be much less than what the total SC bill would be.

So I Declined....body shop it is!

Weird thing in NY. Tesla opened a collision repair shop in Queens. I heard they are not good at all. They even farm out repairs they don't want to do, since they to complex for them. I would recommend asking around on here for good reviews from satisfied members.

the saga continues.
Went to the highly rated shop on State Farms list of shops. (I know this shop, and they actually are, good). But, they said they are not an approved Tesla repair shop, which is needed by State Farm. They did go ahead and examine and wrote up an estimate for repair/respray of the front bumper cover, and replacement of the underpanel and wheel well liner. All other components were fine. Estimate was a total of $1153 parts and labor

The only close authorized Tesla body shop is not that close to me AND isnt rated very highly, apparently. The body shop this morning actually suggested going to the SC since they would just swap out to a new prepainted front bumper, and replace the panels. However, when I was texting with the SC, they mentioned something about not doing any form of discount for insurance work.

At this point, I'd prefer to simply have the insurance company pay for the parts, and I do the labor (I've done much car work in the past including multiple bumper covers on various types of cars).

On the TEsla parts catalog site, Im not seeing Tesla cost for the parts. And appears the bumper covers come prepainted?
If so, anyone have a price for a new blue facelift bumper cover?

Actually, spoke with a different State Farm claims person. TOld me to take it to the SC and if bill is higher, a supplemental invoice will go from the SC directly to State Farm. So SC it is.