Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center recommends NOT getting tires through them (if you don't live local)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Due to road hazard warranty and other warranty issues since I live about 230 miles from the closest service center Tesla Service St.Louis actually recommended I use a local vendor so that if I have a warranty issue or have a service plan (for rotations) that I can get that done locally rather than have to get the car to St.Louis for service.

Maybe not earth shattering news, but interesting that they made that specific recommendation, particularly since they suggested I have the tires replaced when it was up there for the 12,500mi service (now over 19,000 on those same tires).

The idea that a MS needs a new set of tyres every year is a bit of a shock to me here in the UK where it is normal for a set to last a good 40k miles or more. Is this peculiar to the MS or common with US cars? If the latter, what is causing the huge disparity in wear between the US and UK?

The idea that a MS needs a new set of tyres every year is a bit of a shock to me here in the UK where it is normal for a set to last a good 40k miles or more. Is this peculiar to the MS or common with US cars? If the latter, what is causing the huge disparity in wear between the US and UK?

With proper alignment and keeping some air in the tires the 19" tires should easily make 40K miles or more. The 21" tires are summer high performance tires, which never get 40K miles. Also they are very particular about toe settings in the rear. The main differences between the U.K. and North America are the distances driven (my trip over the last two weeks covered about 2000 miles) and the higher temperatures. Much of the U.S. is further south than the U.K.

I have 27k miles on my stock OEM 19" goodyears with about 7.5/32" tread left on all 4 years even wear. so about 50% left (11->7.5, used about 3.5/32". I have another 3.5/32" to use before all 4 tires are down to 4/32" and need replacement. So yes I should get about 55k miles on this original set. It's only the 21" tires that need replacement every 5k miles. the 19" tires last 10x longer.

Due to road hazard warranty and other warranty issues since I live about 230 miles from the closest service center Tesla Service St.Louis actually recommended I use a local vendor so that if I have a warranty issue or have a service plan (for rotations) that I can get that done locally rather than have to get the car to St.Louis for service.

Maybe not earth shattering news, but interesting that they made that specific recommendation, particularly since they suggested I have the tires replaced when it was up there for the 12,500mi service (now over 19,000 on those same tires).

It is to be expected. So far Tesla employees have been very straight up and honest with us.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting warranty service on any name brand tire purchased anywhere. However one can get things like free lifetime rotate and balance bundled with the new tires that is only honored at the store chain.