Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center refuses to change tires due to bad alignment - Resolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused by "plenty of tread" and "showing cords" in describing the same tire, as to me they are contradictory descriptions.
The description of this problem is that the majority of the tread area is fine, but on the inside edge there is a steep angle of wear and it's right down to the cords. My observations indicate that this happens when cornering. The rear tire that is in the "outside of the turn" position practically folds over when there is toe-out, and large negative camber amplifies it. Going straight ahead, not much wear happens.

My observations indicate that this happens when cornering. The rear tire that is in the "outside of the turn" position practically folds over when there is toe-out, and large negative camber amplifies it. Going straight ahead, not much wear happens.

this could explain why I got 48k out of my 19" set and still had good 4/32" tread left. most of that was straight driving up and down the NJ Turnpike. I launch off lights all the time. I am on the aggressive side of driving. But I don't corner hard at all ever.

I'm confused by "plenty of tread" and "showing cords" in describing the same tire, as to me they are contradictory descriptions.

It is a common problem.
29ncfup.jpg

The picture is from this topic: P85+ Rear Tire Wear at 7400k Pictures

Oh big surprise another thread on misalignment.

Someone in suspension department ****** up bigtime and now a large proportion of the 50k model S owners are paying the price. I love that tesla is giving their patents away.

Hey Elon - maybe you should have traded them for some of BMW's suspension patents?? This BS with inner wear is NOT NORMAL. When will Tesla do the ethical thing and admit to this???????

<end rant>

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh big surprise another thread on misalignment.

Someone in suspension department ****** up bigtime and now a large proportion of the 50k model S owners are paying the price. I love that tesla is giving their patents away.

Hey Elon - maybe you should have traded them for some of BMW's suspension patents?? This BS with inner wear is NOT NORMAL. When will Tesla do the ethical thing and admit to this???????

<end rant>

In my experience the SC freely admitted the alignment problem and the associated tire wear since the beginning of May. I did have a bit of back and forth with them about this issue back in November, but ultimately they paid for the replacement of tires. Based on the other owners experience, some TM service employees seem to be lacking uniform position on this, but to answer your question they did acknowledge the flaws in original design, and re-designed suspension bolts. They also acknowledged that these re-designed bolts turned out to be causing drift of the alignment out of spec and are in final stages of fixing it (see my post #18 above).

I am less than satisfied with this situation, and that was one of the reasons for contacting the regional service manager, but feel that your ranting is a bit unfair. They acknowledged this issue and working on it for some time now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me begin by saying I am NOT a fanboy. I LOVE my Tesla but I will not defend them needlessly. Tesla has had issues with alignments and we are all aware of that. Let me also say I have only skimmed this thread, but having said those things I am finding it hard to believe this is a Tesla problem rather than an owner problem. The OP swapped originals for winter tires and noticed no problems at that time--a good indicator that the car may not have had a problem from the start. The OP also said the tires were worn right down to the cords when (s)he noticed the problem. Uneven wear should have been noticed a LOOONG time before the tires were worn to the threads. The OP not only swapped tires but wheels too. Tesla has repeatedly said they will not be responsible for 3rd party wheels on their vehicles. If I were the OP I would chalk this one up to an expensive lesson learned.

Did you expect me to check my tires and winter setup just after couple of thousand miles?
I never knew these cars had such issue
just like many people I mounted my winters on and then took them off when the weather permited
I would never even consider checking anything after 3000 miles where the tires look brand-new still
I was literally pulling my kids toys under the car and that's how I found out that the tires were worn to the cord

This is one of the reasons I let Tesla do all work.
I also err on the side of caution and check the alignment anytime I swap wheels, especially non-OEM wheels.

Expensive lesson, but when it comes to cars, extra care is called for.

As a side note/question. If the alignment is off that much, doesn't the car ride differently?

HELP! Service Center refuses to change tires due to bad alignment

I was like I'd imagine 90+% of the population and rarely checked my tires outside taking car in for service before I got the Roadster and was surprised to find out tires only lasted about 7,000 miles. Learned to check them a lot more often because of that but 3,000 is way too quick.

Sorry this went on with you car and hope they can find a fair resolution.

Did you expect me to check my tires and winter setup just after couple of thousand miles?
I never knew these cars had such issue
just like many people I mounted my winters on and then took them off when the weather permited
I would never even consider checking anything after 3000 miles where the tires look brand-new still
I was literally pulling my kids toys under the car and that's how I found out that the tires were worn to the cord
If you have been on this forum there is a Hugh thread on tire wear, and since reading that info early on I pay close attention to my tire wear, I ride in low always so this makes it worse. The service center has checked my alignment several times and found the rear toe was out of spec and they have set the negative camber as low as the adjustment allows. I still think it is way to negative but do not want to do any after market links, maybe at some point Tesla will come out with more adjustable links. So I rotate every 3000 miles and keep an eye on the wear.

No, the S60, S85, P85 and P85+ all share the same suspension hardware. Cars with air suspension ride a bit lower which makes the problem worse. The P85+ must have air, and that in combination with drivers that tend to be more aggressive (like me!) makes the wear even more pronounced.
Until aftermarket upper control arms are available that let me decrease the camber, I have raised the rear 1/2". By doing that my rear camber at normal ride height is now -1.4 dgr.

This alignment issue appears to be unique to the P85+, not the P85, S85 or S60. Am I correct?

I've gotten very even wear on my rear PS2's on a P85.

no.
my P had horrible alignment in 2012. not sure if it came bad or drifted to toe out on its own. first set of 21"s went quick. second set pretty quick and I also flipped the tires on wheels.

Fun set, 3rd was also flipped but these are also 19"s.
(tires were flipped on the wheels @ ~500 mi)
1550miles! including 500+ mi highway trip...fun tires, I did manage to get them to the wear bars across the center.
photo.JPG

21"s - 9400mi, guess that's reasonable? they are colse to the wear bars but the outer tread id almost new. my second set has 9500 and is close to done(Hankooks). I flipped them on the wheels at 8500 to get a little more out of them and maybe have another 1-2kmi worth
first set:
IMG_0196.jpg

air + the toe bolts that potentially don't hold position. My rear right toe bolt was visibly out of the location that had the green paint marks on the bolt/nut match up. almost 1/4 turn which is where the bolt will rest naturally due to the concentric bolt. even by just looking down the car at the wheel I could see the toe out

Last edited:
This is a 100K luxury car, not a wrench monkey POS. I know very little about the mechanics of cars and have no desire to do so. I agree with OP - the wheel alignment problem is someone's fault and not the drivers. Whether it is the shop that did the change or Tesla's (and I believe it was Tesla's given the history of this problem), the OP shouldn't have to pay to replace tires.