Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center refusing to accept drop in for BMS issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed an alert on my screen saying "Range and Charge capacity might be reduced. Schedule service soon." The error code displayed is BMS_a066. Upon further research I found that its an issue with high voltage battery and most of the battery packs are replaced. I already had a mobile service appointment scheduled for next Monday but I noticed the range dropped by 70 miles. Even considering the current weather in Bay Area, the drastic range drop overnight started bothering and so I called the Santa Clara service center to see if I can drop off my car to get it checked but they told me that they are refusing in drop in appointments and I have to wait for my mobile service appointment or call up roadside assistance and get them to check my car out and see if it needs immediate attention. Has any one faced a similar response from Tesla service center ? Is waiting my only option ?

In my opinion, what you have to thank for this, is all the people who bombard the service center with "my car is not getting rated range" complaints about their cars either showing 8 miles less on the range meter than the used to, or they cant drive EPA mileage.

Tesla gets so many of those that they likely just completely shut down when someone says anything even CLOSE to "But my car lost XX range and...."

It makes people with what sound to be real issues (like yours) get the run around / shaft, because of all the other, non issue stuff.

Its basically the same here too. When I saw this thread title, I assumed that it was going to be another of the daily "My car doesnt get its range / it needs BMS calculation" threads. We get at least 1-2 of those daily here, and have since I started reading here in late 2018. Your complaint is different however, but its getting lost in rated range, especially if you contacted tesla and said "my range droped XX.......".

Perhaps you can ping them over the mobile appointment (since I dont think mobile is going to do much for you there) or try another service center, and tell them about the BMS error. Otherwise you are likely looking at that mobile appointment.

Update 3/11

The service center reached out and rescheduled my appointment to 3/10. I was told the HV battery would need to be replaced and a comparable pack would be sourced. It could take about a week to source and validate a new battery pack and additional 4-5 days to install the battery itself. Assuming the battery is found, the car should be back in my garage in about 2 weeks ( I know its very optimistic and from what I have read on forums its somewhere between 4-6 weeks but this is what I was told at the service center). Luckily got a Model S as a loaner so not much adjustment in terms of day to day life.

Update 5/1

Picked up the car from service center around 4/12. Received a remanufactured pack and the service center thinks I should get range similar to what I had prior to the issue. So far it's been going around smoothly. I have a road trip planned at the end of May. That should give me a better idea about the max range and degradation if any.

Update 5/1

Picked up the car from service center around 4/12. Received a remanufactured pack and the service center thinks I should get range similar to what I had prior to the issue. So far it's been going around smoothly. I have a road trip planned at the end of May. That should give me a better idea about the max range and degradation if any.
I’m in a very similar situation. My 2021 LR3 just got a new reman pack yesterday 5/1 as well. Going to be interesting to see how our packs do. We should keep each other updated on this thread if you’re up for it. I have read others have gotten lucky and got brand new packs instead of RMN ones. But they could also be mistaken. All depends on the part number.

Sounds good.I'll try to keep the thread updated with my experience. On a side note, battery issues after 2 years like in your case is pretty concerning. Tesla should at least have offered you a new pack after such an early failure.