Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center scratched my MCU bezel, now they need to tear the dash apart.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And they can't fix the problem it went in for. (Thought it was fixed when I first posted this. It isn't.)

So, part of this is a vent post but I hope to get some insight... I'm at my wits end.

This adventure started when on delivery my car had a misaligned trunk lid that they said they'd fix, and later said they *can't fix*, (they gave me some winter tires instead...) - this started the 'bad sign', and then came this camera/autopilot problem that has been a nightmare.

Two days after getting my Model S in December, I started getting "Autopilot Features Limited", "Blindspot Detection Limited" and "Vehicle Surround View Limited" warnings.

Between December and today, I had two mobile service vists (to replace B pillar and repeater cameras, twice, as in I've been through four cameras), one SC visit where the car was gone for a week and they ended up just 'putting conductive grease on the cable connectors' for the cameras - and none of this fixed it. (I really think that the problem is in the AP computer since all of my Sentry Mode footage comes out corrupt regardless of USB stick - and I've shown them this) Messages continuously kept coming back and the car wouldn't detect any vehicles to the side(s).

This fourth visit, late April, they promised they were 'going to fix it' - probably because of lemon law worries, honestly. They kept my car for two weeks and wanted to keep it longer, but apparently replaced cabling that went through a wiring harness from the cameras all the way to the AP unit. Real deep surgery. (Note I suggested they swap in HW3 from HW2.5 since I'm a FSD buyer, and the problem is in the autopilot system, but they wouldn't.) I said to them over and over again during the process: "Please please don't scratch the interior. Please be careful." - Not that asking that would ever have any effect, but still.

So today I get the car back and there's a huge scratch on the console and a big gouge on the MCU bezel.

They didn't try to cover it up, they came right out and said "We scratched your MCU bezel and console." - Great . But they also forgot to replace some of the clips in the door sill and that was barely attached. Makes me pretty uneasy that they were willing to release the car that way.

Anyways, they're ordering the parts in, but now I come to find with just a little research that replacing the damn MCU bezel requires tearing out the entire dash essentially. So it has to go in for who-knows-how-long again, while they rip the car to pieces a second time, and from what I've heard from others who have had the dash taken apart it rattles like crazy afterwards, and they usually damage the top trim doing that.

The icing on the cake on all of this was after the end of this series of events today, they tell me they'll never be replacing the yellowing MCU screen. (5 month old car.) - and that I can opt to pay $1325 to have it done if I like. This was at the end of this stack of events.

And I guess to top it off even more than that, today, for just a second, I got another "Blindspot Detection Limited" warning. So it seems like this whole mess was for nothing and the original problem is still not fixed.

I don't want to have a bad taste in my mouth; I don't know what to do besides bringing the thing back over, and over, and over, and over again and being without it while they damage and add rattles more and more.

I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do. I'm sure I'll get the required "stop whining" responses, but I'm doing everything I'm supposed to - take it in to the service center repeatedly to let them 'do what they will', with the car coming back in worse shape every time. I'm even nervous to post this here, as the local SCs may get wind of it and stop working with me on the issue(s).

I've given them the benefit of the doubt but this has just been going on for too long, and I don't know what to do besides bringing it back repeatedly.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
If you are talking about the silver bezel that surrounds the touchscreen, I wouldn’t worry too much about the dash rattling. I’ve had two touchscreen replacements and I gave no noises from the dash. One touchscreen was dripping a liquid. The second touchscreen had the yellow band.

Mobile technicians can come to you to replace that bezel. It’s not a big deal. They did not remove the entire dash, they just lifted it a bit with the assistance of an air bladder so they can gain access to certain screws. The dash clips in. Just make sure they bring some extra clips with the bezel in case any existing clips break or don’t hold well.

The whole process of raising the dash, removing the MCU and bezel, swapping touchscreens and reinstalling everything took the technicians 60-90 minutes. So just replacing the bezel should take significantly less time.

Sorry about the other troubles you have with the car.