Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center - Smithtown, NY (Long Island)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove past the Smithtown location today (Sat 7/18/2020) and contractors were busy working on the building.

Was told that the contract to finish the building ends 8/15 and after that the contractor pays a penalty back to Tesla for every day they are late completing the building.

Was able to snap a pic the other day since my wife was driving:
DDBBB61A-2807-4D95-9894-05E8B15A142A.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: NY_Rob
Thanks @Pnrmurph ... I was going to drive by there tomorrow, no I don't have to!

I drove past last Monday and landscape contractors were working on the lawn sprinkler system and the tinted storefront glass was not up at that time. Just to the right of where the photo ends are a suite of Superchargers. I saw a few MX's plugged in to them last Monday.

Supposedly, the project contractor put up a bond that is due to Tesla if the site is not ready for handover on 8/15. That would explain the recent flurry of activity on the property that has seen stop-n-go work since late 2018.

quick update - doesn't seem like it is open yet, but when I was driving by I noticed something interesting. It had the red "Registered NYS Motor Vehicle Dealer" sign in the window - complete with a license number. I find this interesting since unless something has changed, Tesla is still limited to 5 "dealerships" in NYS and those are all accounted for I think. We can thank the stealership lobby in NY for this. The legislation to up the count to 15 is still pending as far as I know. I didn't see the green "NYS Repair Shop" sign though. I was driving and couldn't get a good look, but the red sign caught my eye.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
A few days back I spoke with a contractor working at the site.. he said "a few more weeks".. so that puts in Sept for the grand opening. At this point, seeing what happened to build quality end of Q2, I really don't want a September build MY. I might just hold out till Oct to give my SA the go-ahead and get me a vehicle.

A few days back I spoke with a contractor working at the site.. he said "a few more weeks".. so that puts in Sept for the grand opening. At this point, seeing what happened to build quality end of Q2, I really don't want a September build MY. I might just hold out till Oct to give my SA the go-ahead and get me a vehicle.
I have a July build MY (32XXX) and it is 99% perfect.