Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center - Smithtown, NY (Long Island)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Snow Drift

[Off-Road Assist] Activated
Feb 10, 2016
Long Island
Tesla plans to add fourth location on Long Island

By Nicholas Spangler

"A deal is in the works to bring electric carmaker Tesla Motors to the Town of Smithtown.

The dealership would open at Route 347 and Hillside Avenue in Nesconset on the long-vacant former site of Sixth Avenue Electronics, according to a zoning application submitted to the town Planning Department.

Tim Ziss, a principal in Brooklyn-based Allied Properties, would develop the 5.4-acre site through a limited liability company, 1000 Nesconset, said Ziss’ attorney, Vincent Trimarco Sr.

“That property has been a bummer of a piece of property for years and years,” Trimarco said. “Finally my client stepped up to the plate and bought it. He’s going to be remodeling and doing everything necessary to make it a beautiful place.”

Tesla officials did not respond to email requests for comment.

The $700,000 project would occupy a location near residences to the east and, to the south on Jericho Turnpike, a string of dealerships and other automotive businesses. Town Councilman Tom McCarthy, a former auto dealer, called that stretch one of the busiest markets on Long Island, with more than a dozen new car dealerships over 2 miles.

“I’m ecstatic, as is Supervisor [Ed] Wehrheim, that Tesla is interested in doing business in the town,” McCarthy said. He said he expected to see “a major rebuild” in coming months of the site, which he said had been vacant for about 10 years.

1000 Nesconset officials are requesting a change of zone from central business to wholesale service industry. The Planning Board is to hold a Jan. 31 hearing on the proposed change.

///

Tesla has seven locations in New York State, including three on Long Island. A Manhasset location offers sales and service, while “galleries” in East Hampton and Huntington Station are only for viewing vehicles.

Tesla has already met its cap under state law of five sales facilities, but a bill to expand that number was introduced in the legislature this month.

A document filed with 1000 Nesconset’s application mentions that the facility would generate solid waste typically associated with “auto sales and repairs” minus motor oil, since Tesla’s electric motors don’t use it.

The Nesconset location would give Tesla a visible presence in an affluent market: Smithtown’s median household income is $114,872, above the median for Suffolk or Nassau County. Dealerships for BMW, Mercedes and Lexus operate nearby."

Tesla plans to add fourth location on Long Island

By Nicholas Spangler

"A deal is in the works to bring electric carmaker Tesla Motors to the Town of Smithtown.

The dealership would open at Route 347 and Hillside Avenue in Nesconset on the long-vacant former site of Sixth Avenue Electronics, according to a zoning application submitted to the town Planning Department.

Tim Ziss, a principal in Brooklyn-based Allied Properties, would develop the 5.4-acre site through a limited liability company, 1000 Nesconset, said Ziss’ attorney, Vincent Trimarco Sr.

“That property has been a bummer of a piece of property for years and years,” Trimarco said. “Finally my client stepped up to the plate and bought it. He’s going to be remodeling and doing everything necessary to make it a beautiful place.”

Tesla officials did not respond to email requests for comment.

The $700,000 project would occupy a location near residences to the east and, to the south on Jericho Turnpike, a string of dealerships and other automotive businesses. Town Councilman Tom McCarthy, a former auto dealer, called that stretch one of the busiest markets on Long Island, with more than a dozen new car dealerships over 2 miles.

“I’m ecstatic, as is Supervisor [Ed] Wehrheim, that Tesla is interested in doing business in the town,” McCarthy said. He said he expected to see “a major rebuild” in coming months of the site, which he said had been vacant for about 10 years.

1000 Nesconset officials are requesting a change of zone from central business to wholesale service industry. The Planning Board is to hold a Jan. 31 hearing on the proposed change.

///

Tesla has seven locations in New York State, including three on Long Island. A Manhasset location offers sales and service, while “galleries” in East Hampton and Huntington Station are only for viewing vehicles.

Tesla has already met its cap under state law of five sales facilities, but a bill to expand that number was introduced in the legislature this month.

A document filed with 1000 Nesconset’s application mentions that the facility would generate solid waste typically associated with “auto sales and repairs” minus motor oil, since Tesla’s electric motors don’t use it.

The Nesconset location would give Tesla a visible presence in an affluent market: Smithtown’s median household income is $114,872, above the median for Suffolk or Nassau County. Dealerships for BMW, Mercedes and Lexus operate nearby."

There is a service center in Syosset, NY on Long Island as well.

Update, it will just be a Service Center...

Newsday said:
Tesla site in Smithtown will be a service center, officials said
By Nicholas Spangler Newsday

March 16--Electric carmaker Tesla is scheduled Friday morning to announce plans to open a service center in Smithtown.

Company representatives said Thursday that the 1000 Nesconset Hwy. center, which will not offer vehicles for sale, is part of an effort to expand its investments on Long Island.

Tesla has a sales center in Manhasset, a service center in Syosset and showrooms it calls "galleries" in Huntington Station and East Hampton, according to its website. It also has two solar warehouses in Hauppauge and Bethpage.

The facility will generate 25 jobs, renovations will start soon and it will open in late 2018, according to a Tesla spokeseperson.
The company supports a change to state law that prohibits it from operating more than five stores in New York.

A bill that would lift the cap to 20 sales centers is in the New York State Legislature now, with co-sponsors including state Sen. Carl Marcellino (R-Syosset) and Assembly Majority Leader Joseph Morelle (D--Irondequoit).

Wade Newton, a spokesman for the Auto Alliance, a trade group of automobile manufacturers operating in the United States, said in an email that Tesla "wanted special treatment." The company uses direct sales instead of independent dealers as is the case with most manufacturers. The company can "open as many stores as they want, they just need to follow the same laws as every other automaker," he said.

Tesla spent $198,719 in 2017 to lobby in Albany on matters, including direct sales legislation, according to state records; the Auto Alliance spent $100,000.

State Senate Majority Leader John J. Flanagan (R-East Northport) and representatives from Farmingdale State College are expected to attend the announcement Friday at the planned future site of the service center.

Tesla and school officials announced an agreement last year to offer students training and career opportunities in the company. One graduate is working at Tesla and another has started an internship with the company, said Mohamad Zoghi, acting chairman of the school's automotive technology department.

"More service centers means our collaboration gets even deeper, and more opportunities for students," he said.

Reactions: Ken7
So an 'update' on this issue. I was at the Tesla Roosevelt Field store in Garden City, L.I. According to one of the sales reps, the Brooklyn SC will move to the new Smithtown facility which is still, supposedly, very much alive. I'm not sure this makes much sense since it leaves owners in the NYC area without a SC.

Take it for what it's worth. :)

So I drove by this yesterday and it’s still dead as a door nail. The ‘available’ sign is still out in front and the overall look of the facility is abysmal. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m losing faith this SC will ever open. :(

I took a look today and was amazed. I haven’t seen so many new Teslas in one lot except in pictures out of California. I’m assuming this is a feeding point for neighboring states. I didn’t see any Model Ys, but there was a ton of everything else. I also heard quite a bit of construction going on inside the facility. It was all nice to see. :)

Reactions: Snow Drift
Just drove by there. Seems about the same - lots of Tesla's in the lot with a security guard, but not much advancement on the building work. Makes sense since construction has been halted since March. It seems LI is getting close to the phase 1 reopening, which would allow non-essential indoor and outdoor construction, so hopefully things will start up again after that.

Reactions: blee321