Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center told me there is a recall on my vehicle [SC later retracted statement]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I had a service appointment for my 2021 M3LR and they messaged me back informing me of a recall. I checked the NHTSA site and Tesla's site, but there is nothing there. When I followed up they said the software automatically added me, but it looks like that recall isn't actually live yet but may be soon.

I figured I would post here in case there is a recall on the horizon for the M3. Anyone else run into this with a recent service appointment? This must be pretty new as I was in for service a week ago and nobody mentioned it.

Interesting. I got my M3 December 29th, 2020. The heat failed on the drive home from picking it up (that was a very chilly experience). The next day we got a software update and the following day the heat began working again. I only just got the PT sensors replaced about a month ago, and at that time they also replaced the compressor... they didn't explain why.

Have you had PT sensors replaced on yours?

Interesting. I got my M3 December 29th, 2020. The heat failed on the drive home from picking it up (that was a very chilly experience). The next day we got a software update and the following day the heat began working again. I only just got the PT sensors replaced about a month ago, and at that time they also replaced the compressor... they didn't explain why.

Have you had PT sensors replaced on yours?

I have had all the HVAC sensors replaced as well as the compressor already :). I had the exact same issue as you, just a little later in my ownership (around 2k miles), but replacing the sensors didn't fix the issue, nor did any software updates. It's been fine since the compressor was replaced, however. Now that it's getting warmer out, though, I have less opportunities to test.

I would be careful with the sensor replacements. I think they're replacing the failed sensors with the same batches that also are prone to failure. One of the ones they replaced for me failed immediately, and that's when they also decided to swap the compressor. I would also submit a claim to the NHTSA website for your HVAC issues as they need to know that Tesla is knowingly shipping cars with a safety issue in cold climates.

What I'm noticing is a trend with the mid-late December M3s. A lot of similar issues with HVAC and the fit and finish. I will say that if you have a misaligned trunk, keep pressing on the service center to fix it. I took it in a few months ago and they said they couldn't do anything, and on my last visit they actually fixed the issue and it looks much better. I noticed the same thing Sandy Munro did, that it seemed like one side of my car was issue free, and the other side looked like the robots were drunk.

One thing to watch out for is that Tesla said yesterday if I recall that they weren’t affected as much by the semiconductor crisis over last 6 months because they were able to switch to different microcontrollers and rewrite code quickly for them. That might sound nice to investors and even customers at first glance, but ”quickly”, “rewrite”, and “part substitutions” are all red flags when you realize it was done to push more cars out the door. Not saying this will cause problems but guessing repairs and coordinating software updates might be affected down range somewhat.

Reactions: qdeathstar
It may not be a government recall, but an internal recall. Tesla does this from time to time and every car that is brought into service will have this update performed while other service is being done.
They do not publicise this as they do not want to encourage owners to make up service needs just to have the updates done.

It may not be a government recall, but an internal recall. Tesla does this from time to time and every car that is brought into service will have this update performed while other service is being done.
They do not publicise this as they do not want to encourage owners to make up service needs just to have the updates done.
That's not called a recall however, that's a TSB and I doubt service will mix up the terminology (unless the OP did). Also TSBs are typically only performed if the consumer complains about the issue.

@variable the final invoice they send you should have a record of what was performed when it is done.